Doobie Brothers Stampede on cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

This is one of my favorite Doobie Brothers albums with Take Me in Your Arms, Sweet Maxine and I Cheat the Hangman.

What is the best mastering on cd of this album? :help:

Thank you.

2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I have the 2006 Japanese mini lp and love the sound on it. Don't have a n other to compare with I'm afraid.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hey Brian,

My Warner Bros. 2835-2 just repeats the credits on my original 1975 vinyl.

Donn Landee @ WB.

4. btomarra

Myke,

Thank you. Sounds like I should just get the WB cd. Pretty cheap, too.

5. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

Heads-up - all CD versions of Stampede have a slightly edited version of "Neal's Fandango." No explanation why, but the trim is during the final portion of the track.

6. I prefer the Japanese remaster from 2006. I was hoping that Mofi would do this title (and correct the trim problem) but it appears for the time being they are done with the Doobies.

Maybe AF would consider doing this.

7. davers

davers Forum Resident

Great question. Interestingly, I rarely see this title in the used bins.

On a related note, does anyone know when this title was first issued on cd in the US? My copy of Stampede looks to be a 1990 or later pressing, and I've never seen any copies with the earlier "SRC-01" style matrix in the hub.

Presumably "Greatest Hits" and "Minute By Minute" were the first Doobies titles issued on cd because they were among the batch of early West German and/or Japan target pressings. Other titles were likely issued in the mid-late 80s, as I have early SRC pressings for most of their 70s catalog. "Stampede" seems to have come out later, but maybe I just haven't come across any 80s pressings?

8. btomarra

Thank you for the heads up

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Question 1 - Is there more than one mastering? I only have the Japan Mini LP and it is OK but not great. I forget if there is a mastering credit listed in the liner notes. If it is a remaster as Wayne suggests I may buy a bargain basement domestic disc to compare.

Question 2 :) - Is the Long Train Running box set version of Neal's Fandango also the edit?

10. I'll check my boxed set and report back as I've got it on "Neal's Fandango" I seem to remember that it is the full version but I haven't listened to it in a little while.

The domestic master is a different mastering. It's dirt cheap (which is good) and, to the best of my knowledge, was never remastered for the U.S. market. It's certainly more dynamic and less compressed but it's also (at least to my ears) a bit murky sounding.

Curiously, there's no mastering credit for the new issue and the original mastering credit for the original CD is carried over from the vinyl IIRC.

It would be worthwhile to compare the two asyou might like the original mastering for CD. I like the improved clarity on the remaster but you're right--it's not perfect and is a bit brighter than the original.

This is one of the reasons I was hoping that Mofi would get to this as this is one of my favorite Doobie albums.

If you're a fan of Bill Inglot and Dan Hersh I believe they worked on the boxed set, if you're not then you may want to be a bit cautious.

11. Myke

:agree:

12. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

Just checked "Neal's Fandango" from the LTR box, and it also is the shortened version. On the original release, the vamp at the end of the song after the final chorus plays twice. The edit removes one of the passages.

13. eelkiller

I have the box set Wayne, but since I am away on business I could not check it for the duration of the song. FWIW I like the sound and rarities on the Rhino Box BUT unfortunatly they included stuff from the One Step Closer album and beyond. That I could do without. :)

Thanks to Electric Bozo for checking the box set time.

14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

IMO, 06 Japanese a sonic improvement over the original. A multi-channel release would be a dream.

15. btomarra

thank you also for checking. I just ordered the regular cd and I'll check it out when it arrives for SQ. thanks to all so far for weighing in here.

16. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I have Japan WPCR-75028 released in 2005. It is a jewel case CD. Sounds very good to me compared to the original.

Regarding Neal's Fandango, what am I looking for? Shortened version? How can I tell.

17. Myke

18. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

Just checked my copy and it's a "SRC-01".

19. Myke

SRC-04 here.

20. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Was the entire Doobie Catalog remastered during the making of the box set for individual releases or are those remasters exclusive? I like the sound of the box set a lot.

21. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree with you on the sound of the box set. The box set was 1999 and I don't believe any remasters were released then. I know Mobile Fidelity released The Captain and Me, Toulouse Street and Takin' it to the Streets on hybrid SACD about a year ago. I'm thinking the Japanese imports were 2006? I don't know if that helps or not. I'm still waiting on Vices. It is my favorite Doobies!

22. eelkiller

It would have been nice to get S/T through Stampede redone but they were not.

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The catalog still features the same mastering as from the late 80's/early 90's. They sound quite good imo. Sure, Steve could do a hell of a job on them. But most of those old Warner cd's were mastere by Lee Herschberg and he did a great job.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They don't need it.

25. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I have a German cd pressing, 7599 87289-2 and a ? first Japan cd pressing, WPCP-3165! They both sound the same [good] to me and have the same EAC peak levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.