Doobie Brothers Stampede on cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

Thanks for checking. Does it have a barcode in the cd hub, or is it pre-barcode with just the SRC numbering in the hub?

Sorry for the picky questions; I'm just trying to figure out when this was first issued on cd. I believe the SRC pressings started getting barcodes in the hub around 1990.

2. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have a Japan WPCR-2526 with no barcode. Also on the spine the title is written in Japanese. Is this a first pressing?

3. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I would definitely want all their Johnston albums with 99 remastering as well as all the bonus tracks they can find. The box set only focused on outtakes & Demos from Toulouse & Stampede so there must be more.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

OK, in my opinion they could be improved.

Probaly not, I believe the WPCP series preceded the WPCR discs.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Now that I'd spend money on. They did record quite a few shows back then. Each year between 1975 and 1978 King Biscuit recorded some of their shows as well.

6. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

+1. The 06 Japanese mini-lp sounds real good to me, much better than the original CD.

7. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Let me open up this thread a bit more. Please feel free to also post your opinions on this album and What Were Once Vices...

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'm game...in terms of sound quality on cd vs vinyl? In terms of musical content?

Vices is an overlooked album imo.

9. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

No barcode. I can't recall exactly when I purchased it. I'll say between '89-'91. :wave:

10. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Sorry. I meant in terms of content.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

For me...personally...everything from the S/T debut in 1971 through Takin' It To The Streets in 1976 shines. But, in '77, Livin' On The Fault Line was so bad, I returned it after the first spin. Didn't give them another chance until they played a show locally in 1996. Now the latest is on my wish list, because all the press reassures me it's a " return " to my favorite era.

12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

"Another Park, Another Sunday" & "Eyes of Silver" are some of my favorite Doobie tracks, both from Vices! Too bad they flopped commercially.

13. Myke

And I never knew that between only listening to FM (who played those songs a lot), and choosing my own records to play based on my friend's tastes, as well as my own. :righton:

14. You should pick it up. Now. It's really good.

15. Myke

Just added it to my Coen Bros. Blu Ray pre-order of True Grit. Got the Deluxe w/DVD too :thumbsup:

Gotta have that retro video of Nobody :D

16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Has there been any talk either from Audio Fidelity or Mobile Fidelity to do "Stampede" in a gold cd or hybrid SACD? Sure would be nice if they would to complete the collection!

17. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

Just checked the length according to my old vinyl from '75, and the label says "Neal's Fandango" is 3:16. This would be with the full ending intact. The versions on the Stampede cd and the Long Train Runnin' box set clock in at 3:04.

To describe what is missing (again), after the final chorus of the song ("Goin' back, I'm too tired to roam...") there is a brief instrumental passage that on the original release is played twice before the cold ending. On the shortened version, the passage only plays once.

18. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

My Japan cd, WPCP-3165, states on the insert that "Neal's Fandango" is 4:16but actually clocks in at 4:06!

19. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Thank you for the details. I was looking for my vinyl yesterday and came up short. My Japan WPCR CD from 2005 is 3:10, so I suspect it also is the shortened version.

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Mine's an "SRC-01" too.

Is there supposed to be a difference between it and SRC-04?

Neal's Fandango clocks in at 3:04 with a abrupt ending.

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I suggested WWOHANV to AF, FWIW.

Fingers crossed :)

(Would actually prefer it on MoFi SACD but they seemed to have stopped their Doobies releases).

22. Myke

fixed.

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Oooops....thanks MYKE :wave:

24. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Stampede is not one of their most consistent albums, but the highlights -- "Neal's Fandango" and "I Cheat the Hangman", for me -- are great enough that it's a must-have. I've never been too keen on the hits, "Sweet Maxine" and "Take Me In Your Arms", but they're not bad. "Slat Key Soquel Rag" and the classical-guitar snippett (59 seconds) "Precis" are very nice, if slight. It's probably the Doobies' most country-rock album, very much of its time.

25. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I also like the three singles as well as "I Been Workin' On You" from Stampede. Also among the outtakes from this album featured on the box set, "Mambo Waltz" is an excellent instrumental. Check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.