Doomsday Clock #1

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cabin_Essence, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cabin_Essence

Cabin_Essence Member Thread Starter

Any comic book junkies , or perhaps more specifically, Watchmen fans have a take on Doomsday Clock #1 ? As a near obessessed Watchmen reader, I would love to hear your thoughts on the 1st issue.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I read it and enjoyed it. I like that they logically continued what occurred in Watchmen and have tied it into the rest of the DC Universe. At first it was a surprise to see Rorschach make an appearance but it was explained within the story. I also liked the art, while being different from Gibbons', had a strong visual similarity to it so it still looked like we were looking at the same world. I liked the continuing nods to the Charlton characters, with Mime and Marionette seemed to be based on the Charlton villains Punch & Jewelee.

Despite being a title published by DC, until recently Watchmen seemed to be a stand-alone series separate from the rest of the DC Universe. Despite this, it would not have carried the Elseworlds imprint since none of the characters were DC Universe characters at the time, although they were based on the Charlton characters DC had recently acquired.

I've been waiting for a series like ever since I read DC Rebirth to finally clean up the confusion that has existed in the DC Universe ever since Flashpoint. While I did enjoy Flashpoint, I didn't care for the New 52 because it seemed have much confusion. As an example, since Superman was completely rebooted in his own titles, while Green Lantern didn't reboot at all, then logically Superman is single in his own titles yet married to Lois Lane in Green Lantern.

Due issues like the above, I gave up reading DC for 2 months and was going to leave for good. Then after 2 months, I heard about Rebirth and decided to give DC one more chance. Despite being very backlogged on my reading, I've enjoyed what I've read (I liked the early post-Rebirth issues of Action Comics and Superman).

For me, this was a good start and I look forward to reading more. I hope by the time it is over that we will have a clear and understandable DC Universe, something we have not had in a long time (since The Kingdom or possibly going back to Zero Hour - Crisis In Time).

Stormrider77 and Cabin_Essence like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.