Doors 2 DVD special Edition $5

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Walmart I go to has this in it's $5 bin. If anyone is interested.

2. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Doors 2: The Return of Jim! :laugh:

3. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

What is this DVD? What is the name?Doors 2 DVD special Edition ???????

4. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

If it's that 15th anniversary edition with the purple packaging, I saw it at Best Buy this week for $3.99.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Do you mean the Oliver Stone movie?

Attached Files:

6. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

It's not even worth that. It's factually inaccurate and I couldn't sit through 20 minutes.

7. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

It's seems as though the 1st and second pressings both ended up in the bargain bins. For all it's Stone-esque inaccuarcy and fancy, I loved it when it came out and still find it holds up as a film, much like JFK. You just can't view these films as historic truth -- they are fantastic visions through the eyes of one man. Regardless, of whether it portrays things accurately, aren't they great filmaking? I think so, anyway, contrary to popular opinion.

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Well said, ceddy10165! :agree:

9. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I think this DOORS movie has been discounted, because it been sold so many times. This movie has been on VHS, laserdisc, and now DVD. Most DVD movies slowly get discounted to $10 and then lower.

10. It's a pretty good movie. It's been resurrected almost as many times as The Doors have been repackaged for "new" CD anthologies...

11. I hate what Stone did with the story but the concert footage is pretty good and I think Val's portrayal of Jim is as spot-on as we could hope for.

I own two versions of it on DVD just for the different extras.

12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

What are the differences between the two versions? Thx.

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Exacrtly. This is fictionalised entertainment. Take it with a grain of salt and you'll be fine.

Evan

14. Electric

Seriously, I want to buy one of the versions. Which is the one to get? I don't need surround but a remastered picture might be good. What are the differences with the extras?

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If you are talking about the 2 DVD set with 1 concert from Europe and 1 concert from America, my Wal Mart has it for $12.88, so your Wal Mart has a very good price. The dolby digital is weak, but the video footage is nice.

16. Electric

The two versions I've found are each 2 disc sets. One's the remastered and the other is a 'special edition' of some sort. $9.99 and $7.99 CAD.

17. Electric

I just watched the 15th anniversary edition and am wondering if it has been edited. I recall a scene after their Ed Sullivan performance that they were told that they would never play the Sullivan show again, because Jim sang the word "higher" in Light My Fire. Then Jim (?) says something like "We just did play the Ed Sullivan show". This scene wasn't on the DVD. Is my memory wrong?

18. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

For some reason, Stone decided to add smoke to the recereation of the Doors Sullivan performance and Val's Jim was very animated. Of course, in reality, it was the band on a plain stage with Morrison radiating intense charisma just by standing, singing, and performing with cold passion.

19. Electric

Yes, I've seen the actual Sullivan performance and it's quite different from the portrayal in the movie. The movie version actually reminds me more of the Stones' Sullivan performance of Let's Spend Some 'Time' Together.

What I'm really asking about though is if the 15th aniv. movie is edited differently from a previous version?

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

$5 bucks is too much for this film, IMO.

This movie made me rediscover and appreciate the music of The Doors, but it also made me hate Jim Morrison, for wasting a perfectly good life that was given him and it really turns me off to watch it all go down. Keep the old LP's and DCC CD's and throw this movie to the wind.

Denis Leary once brilliantly said that, we didn't need a 2-hour movie about The Doors, and that he could sum it all up in 5 seconds...

"I'm Drunk, I'm nobody"
    "I'm Drunk, I'm famous"
    "I'm Drunk, I'm F***ing dead"

That still makes me laugh...
    Chris C

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The best part of this film is val...he did a great job as Jim. The DVD is worth a fin though.:agree:

22. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I don't think that was ever in the movie - that was a line recounted in one of the countless Morrison biographies.

23. Johnny66

I think it's self-indulgent, dippy filmmaking, and isn't in the league of JFK. Apart from, notably, the concert scenes, 'The Doors' is really just 'The Adventures of the Lizard King', with no attention to anything other than Morrison's leather pants. The audience is hectored into believing Morrison to be a poet visionary, rather than being offered any proof of it. Hell, I'm a big 'Doors' fan, and 45 minutes into Stone's film I hated Morrison.

24. Johnny66

That's a great line from Leary. And, yes, the film reduces Morrison to a drunken, self-obsessed juvenile, distorting his life to such a degree (and not to his credit) that you wonder what all the fuss was about. The complex person recounted in John Densmore's autobiography (part jerk, part jester, part poet, part decent human being) is nowhere to be found.

25. Electric

That figures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.