Doors Break on Through without the "high"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tunes99, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I also own the edited version on the soundtrack to the film "Forrest Gump".

I have no problem with revisionism...as long as the original is available in some form alongside it. But this should've been a bonus track, not replacing the original, IMO.

2. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

They should of put in "she gets Bill Nye (Science Guy)".

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

She gets him, or she "gets" him?

4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

What a load of malarkey.

Jim himself sang the "censored" version routinely, in live gigs where he didn't hesitate to sing the uncensored "The End". The conclusion that should be drawn is that Jim likely preferred the "censored" version, since there were no constraints on him to sing the uncensored "Break On Through".

5. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

Do I have permission to like 'em both?:edthumbs:

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Just shooting from memory here but Jim definitely sings "she gets high" on a number of live versions. I'm thinking of the concerts recorded for the AL album. Not sure about early live versions but I think we only have a handful of live recordings of Break On Through from '67. All that said I hate how the flew in the 'high' on the standard s/t CD. It works better without it.

7. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I find it ironic that those using the live performances of “Break on Through” as evidence for their preferred version will no doubt forget this precedence when it comes to defending the censored version of “The End.”

And speaking of malarkey, no one can claim to know the Morrison/Doors preferred version of “Break on Through,” as they varied it on stage. There are various live versions in which the phrase “She Get High” is sung. Clearly Jim wanted “high” somewhere in the song and was known to sing the repeat “She Get, She Get, She Get” and then follow that with “She get high.” Some performances have the backing vocals singing “high” while Jim is saying the “awww yeah” on the last “She Get, She Get, She Get.”

We do know these facts:
    The original version was “She Get High”
    History was altered by high being censored out.
    Once the album was in its initial major release, the majority of the listeners became quite used to hearing the abbreviated version, which sits ok with this song. Once the precedence was established, they lived with it but still changed the live performances to include “high” somehow in the song. The censored version of “The End,” doesn’t work nearly as well IMHO. The missing f-bomb makes the song sound clunky at that point.

I prefer the original version, but I also enjoy the censored version.

8. I vastly prefer the censored version of "Break On Through". It just feels right to me and upon learning of the original line it lessened the mystery of the song to me.

9. Lord Hawthorne

The mono mix of "The End" was never censored.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

It's censored on my original Elektra mono LP.

11. MikeP5877

The original released mix was censored. That's not "altering history".

12. MikeP5877

And so in conclusion...

A person buying a CD of the Doors first album should be able to hear the same album they heard on vinyl and radio way back when.

I don't mind the revisionism so much as I do the fact they banished the original mix that was out there for 32 years to the dustbin. And, like I said before, the cut/paste job on the 1999 remaster just doesn't sound very good. The "HIGH" stands out like a sore thumb. It's much better sounding on the 2006 remix.

The best thing to do in this case is to get the DCC Gold for the original mix, and hear the album as it came out in 1967 in all of its dark and mysterious glory. If you really want to hear "SHE GETS HIGH", get the remix on the current CD, which is a pretty good remix overall (IMHO).

One can then enjoy the best of both worlds: Censored and uncensored for your listening pleasure.

The End.

13. Lord Hawthorne

Listen with headphones.

14. GreenDrazi

Clearly the artists intent was changed and consequently, so was history - in fact, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Isn’t this the point where you say he sang only the censored version in concert to support your position, when in fact he sang the censored version, the original version and most of the time a blend of the two versions? History was forever altered and just because your personal experience 40 years ago remains the same, doesn’t change that fact.

15. GreenDrazi

For someone not so cauhgt up in their own personal romantic experience, a person buying a CD of the Doors first album should be able to hear the same album The Doors intended everyone to hear on vinyl, radio or any other source, way back when.

Now we are getting to the real heart of your position. But there are plenty of copies of the censored version floating around, both in vinyl and digital. Thankfully, we now have the "banished" version.

16. DiscoKat

DiscoKat New Member

I'd always heard it was a ploy to get better radio play. LOTS of songs were edited on the radio to take out even the slightest suggestive lyrics.

I recall them futching with the Rolling Stones with a really POOR radio station edit. It went something like:

"Let's spend the-TO-night-Gether".....

And yet the Beatles got away with so much more. Maybe cuz they were "foreign" the establishment hoped they just go away.

Who can really say?

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I don't like it actually. Hate to say it, but I have it the other way enough so it's not an issue. Mainly Steve's DCC cd version. Done.
    We all know what Jim wasn't saying anyway!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.