Doors cd confusion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KWDJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

All is well :D. Thanks.

The customer images from Amazon show "40th Anniversary Mixes by Bruce Botnick" on the Waiting For The Sun tray card. This one does not have bonus tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Sun-Doors/dp/B008A5H78K/ref=sr_1_202?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389010692&sr=1-202&keywords=the+doors

I am curious about this one. I've never heard the remix for this one.

I have a bit of info for a couple pressings from the thread.

Waiting For The Sun (1988) - 33:14 -
    Waiting For The Sun (1999) - ???? - HDCD -
    Waiting For The Sun (2006 remix) -

The Soft Parade (1988) - 33:50 - 74.1% / 78.1% / 84.2% / 42.1% / 70.7% / 90.3% / 88.5% /85.1% / 80.7%
    The Soft Parade (1999) - 33:54 - HDCD - EAC: all tracks 98.9%
    The Soft Parade (2006 remix) -

Morrison Hotel is listed as a 2013 release with remix and no bonus tracks -- not pics available for this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Morrison-Hotel-Doors/dp/B00BGV0YD0/ref=sr_1_85?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389011560&sr=1-85&keywords=the+doors

Is this correct?

Rhino Flashback

Waiting for the Sun (R2-531886)
    The Soft Parade

Rhino Flashback

Morrison Hotel

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I've just had a crazy thought. Yes, I've been doing this too long -- Keith, is it too late to accept the canteen? (the list is almost finished)

The Amazon link does not list every Morrison Hotel song as a remix.

RingoStar39 says "Wintertime Love" on the 2012 Waiting For The Sun has the wrong vocal take, and the Amazon pic shows a "remix" credit.

Reb is wondering about remixes for the L.A. Woman 40th Anniversary disc, and one of the tracks has an EAC number that is different from the 1999 mastering.

Is it possible that some of these newer releases are combining original and remix tracks?

Please check if you have them. We'll get to the bottom of this.

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

My Long Box has Mini-LP sleeves, and all the contents are the same as the Cube, just repackaged in a new box (made since there were complaints about the Cube). The individual US remasters came in jewel cases, I don't think they were available as Mini-LP. It seems however that there were also separate Mini-LP sleeve versions released in 2000 that were made in Germany, but for Japan(?).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here is an old thread about the 1999 CD's that have the wrong masterings:
    www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=67297
    In it are further links to other threads about the subject. I thought this should be added here since this has been discussed at lenght before on the forum.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Waiting For The Sun (1999) - 33:05 - HDCD -All trax peak at 98.9

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yes, the Cube box set from what people were saying on alt.music.the-doors was that they got the 1988 mastering instead of a new HDCD mastering of this album for the Cube box set. Plus, The Soft Parade only had one mastering prior and up to the Cube box to begin with unless possibly it was remastered without HDCD encoding for the Cube box? Others here should be able to do EAC comparisons to find out more about this.

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

From reading in the other thread I linked to it seems this might be the case for the "Waiting For The Sun" and "The Soft Parade" remasters, the "good" ones have matrix that end with "01" and the "bad" ones end with "02", maybe meaning that for a second pressing they used the wrong glass masters for these titles(?).

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

1988 Soft Parade

The matrix # on this first silver face US non record club pressing is : 2 7500-2 SRC+06

hope that info helps someone out

9. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Actually, I'm the one who uploaded those customer pics for WFTS to Amazon. That's the 2012 CD.

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks for the info.

The Japan mini-LPs are made in Germany and have a Japanese booklet and obi added -- the obi says the discs are not made in Japan.
    The ones mentioned in that old thread mention "02" and one member has a DADC "01" (the thread died after this bit of info.)

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Sun-Doors/dp/B008A5H78K/ref=sr_1_202?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389010692&sr=1-202&keywords=the+doors
    It has the 40th Anniversary remix credit on the art [is this credit correct?] and "Wintertime Love" is reportedly the wrong vocal take. This is what is confusing me. AFAIK, the correct vocal take was used for the remix. Is this correct?

How long is the 1988 Waiting For The Sun CD?

The Complete Studio Recordings (aka The Cube) HDCD

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~jt8j-mtok/010515f.htm#C09

- original mix
    - no bonus tracks
    - mini-LP replicas
    - Remastered from the original 2 track masters to 96kHz 24 bit by Bruck Botnick and Bernie Grundman
    at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, California, U.S.A., August 1999

The Doors - (26434-A) - "Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs
    Strange Days (26434-B)
    Waiting For The Sun (26434-C)* - 33:05 - EAC: all 98.9%
    The Soft Parade (26434-D)* - 33:54 - EAC: all 98.9%
    Morrison Hotel (26434-E)
    L.A. Woman (26434-F)
    Essential Rarities (26434-G)

*Some pressings may mistakenly use the non-HDCD 1988 masterings for The Soft Parade (33:50) and Waiting For The Sun (**:**).
    Disc with "02" in the matrix (and a DADC "01") have been reported. The 1988 Waiting For The Sun CD has the wrong vocal take on
    "Wintertime Love" ("trying desperately to be free" is not correct; "trying so desperately to be free" is correct.)

Titles released as single CDs in 2001
    Cube reissued as a Long Box in 2003

Single CD issues from the 1999 The Complete Sudio Recordings - HDCD

- original mix
    - no bonus tracks
    - jewel case
    - Remastered from the original 2 track masters to 96kHz 24 bit by Bruck Botnick and Bernie
    Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, California, U.S.A., August 1999

The Doors - (74207-2) - "Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs
    Strange Days (74014-2)
    Waiting For The Sun (74024-2)* - 33:05 - EAC: all 98.9%
    The Soft Parade (75005-2)* - 33:54 - EAC: all 98.9%
    Morrison Hotel (750007-2)
    L.A. Woman (75001-2)
    Essential Rarities (E2 62530)

*Some pressings may mistakenly use the non-HDCD 1988 masterings for The Soft Parade (33:50) and Waiting For The Sun (**:**).
    Disc with "02" in the matrix (and a DADC "01") have been reported. The 1988 Waiting For The Sun CD has the wrong vocal take on
    "Wintertime Love" ("trying desperately to be free" is not correct; "trying so desperately to be free" is correct.)

The European versions of the 1999 remasters use the same catalog number as earlier masterings/pressings. The silver CD face is
    the same as earlier pressings. The correct versions have the 1999 Botnick/Grunman mastering credit on the back, a clear tray and
    a grey inlay card with "Digitally Remastered" along the edge; however, there is the possibilty of an older CD being in the case.

- Long Box reissue of The Complete Studio Recordings - HDCD/mini-LP (see: 1999 release for pressing details)

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

How long is the 1988 Waiting For The Sun CD?

33:12

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Pig Whisperer, are the Japanese DCCs mini-LPs? I have a couple from Japan, s/t and L.A. Woman, with mini-LP covers inserted into the front of the jewel case. I'm also curious to know why the Japanese L.A. Woman cover has the photo reversed. Was this standard for the Japanese DCC L.A. Woman release?

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

They are not mini-LP CDs. The Doors DCC gold discs were pressed in Japan for release globally. Regardless of where they were sold, the discs were issued in a jewel case with a slipcase. An obi strip was probably added to The Doors DCC gold discs for sale in Japan, as I have seen that for a number of DCC titles over the years.

Here is a sealed DCC gold disc that was released in Japan. I grabbed this picture from eBay. An obi strip and a Japanese price sticker were added for sale in Japan. Otherwise, this disc is identical to copies sold elsewhere.

af01_12.JPG

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks.

Yup. Later pressings of the DCC Doors discs were pressed in the US.

Mini LPs and reversed art sound like boots.

15. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I think I might have said this before, but the credit on the 2012 WFTS is incorrect. It uses all original mixes, although I'm not sure of which mastering it uses.

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I have all 4 DCCs and none of them have the slip cases. I have seen pics of the DCCs online with the slip cases, but mine have jewel cases with artwork inside. The 2 I mentioned, s/t and L.A. Woman, have mini-LP covers in the front of the jewel case, and for some strange reason, the L.A. Woman cover photo is reversed. I also have the 2 Audio Fidelity releases, and they have the slipcases.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The DCC gold disc of L.A. Woman reproduces the original LP cover, complete with the yellow cellophane on a die-cut window. Perhaps the copy Encuentro saw with the reversed image was manufactured incorrectly (i.e., yellow cellophane pasted on the sleeve backwards) or the yellow cellophane had come off and someone reattached it backwards.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The discs look legit. Gorgeous, flawless gold discs and amazing sound quality. Perhaps just the covers were put together by the seller for resale.

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I see what you mean. The insert is a replica of the album.

Could be.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Here is a USA DCC LAW IMG_4648.JPG

21. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Got it. Some things are worth repeating :D.

The wrong vocal take would be the 1988. I'll leave it at that for now. Keith has the discs and can double check.

Rhino Flashback

Waiting for the Sun (R2-531886)* - original mix./1988 mastering ("Wintertime Love" has the wrong vocal take.)
    The Soft Parade

*The Waiting For The Sun art lists the 24th Anniversary remix. This is not correct. The CD uses the original mix.

Rhino Flashback

Morrison Hotel

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The cellophane is clear with a black embossed image of the group, the insert is yellow.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The above photos are similar to the one I have, but mine was manufactured in Japan, and the front photo is reversed.