Doors cd confusion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KWDJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I just picked up a 2017 copyright CD of the debut album for $4.99 at the grocery store. No bonus tracks, says "Remastered by Bruce Botnick" and had a small sticker on the front that said "Original 1967 Stereo mix."

What mastering do I have? It sounds okay but nothing exceptional.

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

You have the latest. The 50th anniversary.

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

If this is a 50th anniversary release, it is mighty low-budget....no liner notes whatsoever, no extras, no photos, it could have been released in 1985 alongside the plaid back jacket Steely Dan cds in the budget bin.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ah, the confusion is back on! It's been a while since I tuned in... What is this about? Is it just the first album that has been reissued? In it's original mix? With or without flown in "highs", etc.? Only in the US? So many questions - but then this is The Doors!

5. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

First album only for now,original mix ,without flown in "highs", etc...,not an US only release.

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Thanks!
    :cheers:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. rockclassics

And no f bombs in The End.

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The way it should be. Good thing that there is finally a simple CD with just the plain old regular mix available.

patient_ot and rockclassics like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They're still there. They've always been there. They were even there in 1967. They're just mixed very low. You hear them a little better in the mono mix. Listen to the stereo mixes with a good pair of headphones, and listen closely. You'll hear them.

SteveM and rob68 like this.
  10. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Don't you love it when they come out with new releases with new mixes and make a big deal about it, Then 10 years later, they release the albums just like they originally were in the first place as "New anniversary editions".

This is probably the best the debut album has sounded in it's original state on CD not counting gold CDs.

11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think the point we're making (at least me) is that this is then the untampered-with original mix, not the version of it that has been around from the 1999 remasters onwards, where elements were flown in to make them appear where they hadn't been before ("highs") or be more prominent than they had been before ("f-bombs").

Keepin' the confusion alive! :righton:

rockclassics and Encuentro like this.
  12. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

I've got the answer: New box set including every version released so far. You could call it Definitive, then you can have a Definitive remaster five years later too, then new edits/mixes...

13. rockclassics

:biglaugh:

another fine idea of how to extract more money from the fans they have left.

Now if they would include the DCC as one of the discs they might suck me in.

14. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Hey all,

I just thought this might be the best place to post this information. I did some (HIGHLY BELATED) comparisons of tracks released on the 1997 Box Set and tracks released as bonuses in 2006-7 as part of the Perception campaign. We all know that Whiskey And Mystics and Men was touched up for Perception, but there are some other tracks with differences:

Queen Of The Highway (Jazz version): the 1997 mix has the drums up loud, while the Perception mix has them way lower. Perception also includes a little pre-song chatter

Moonlight Drive outtake: same mix, but on the 1997 box, it fades out early

Orange Country Suite: A new drum/percussion track was used for Perception, compared to the 1997 version.

:)

15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Anybody can tell me what's the best option (soundwise)to buy CDs with the original mixes? The ones in my Perception box contain the remixes, repating the content of the DVD-A :shrug:

16. revolution_vanderbilt

The original Perception Box (as in, NOT the slip case version) should have the original mixes.

17. A well respected man

Mine is the "cube" version and the CDs contain the remixes (except for The Soft Parade, for some reason).

18. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Try DCCs or Analogue Productions SACDs

19. revolution_vanderbilt

Or get the new remasters that seem to be coming out. We already got the remaster of The Doors, and now Strange Days is on the way. Of course, this won't work if you're in a hurry :D

anastasios and Platterpus like this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I thought the cube version was the original mixes using HDCD technology but The Soft Parade CD didn't decode to HDCD for some reason.

21. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

The cube has the original mixes... It came out in 1999.

You can test it by playing "Strange Days". The new remixes have a very modern layer of reverb on Jim's vocals. Not my cup of tea, but the clarity is welcomed.

22. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

Go back page 12

A well respected man likes this.
  23. A well respected man

Thank you! That was very helpful. There was some obvious misunderstanding, because what I called the "cube" was not the 1999 box set, but the second edition of the Perception box (which has indeed cubic form). And now I think I may have the 1999 mastering of the original mixes in the CDs: I assumed I didn't because they have the "I get high" in Break On Through, but now I know they used those vocals in the 1999 mastering.
    Also, I assumed I had the wrong vocals in "Yes, the River knows", because I grew up with the 90s German CD. Anyway, I'll try to look for a copy of it, because I prefer those alternate vocals (probably just because I got used to them).

Are there any other defining moments to identify the original mixes versus the remixes, just to be sure?

anastasios likes this.
  24. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

The AP SACD of the debut album is pretty poor sounding I find (red book layer). It may be the best out there but I couldn't say as it's the only version I have.
    Sounds very muddy.
    Just saying in case someone is looking to spend £££.
    It may just be me...

Soundslave likes this.
  25. It's probably the worst of AP's SACDs. I wouldn't call it muddy but the mastertapes seemed to have accumulated more wear 'n tear over the years since the DCC gold CD was mastered. The mastering is soft with possibly too much dynamic range. That one may be the victim of the Quiet Wars.

Soundslave likes this.