Doors cd confusion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KWDJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, but as the list says, some pressings used the 88 mastering by mistake, with the alternate vocals of Wintertime Love.

2. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

3. A well respected man

Unfortunately no, you would have to hear the song.

Curiously enough, I grew up with the 88 CD, so the alternate Wintertime Love was always the "right" version to me. I got rid of my old CDs when I bought the Perception box, and then I realized I needed to track down a copy of the 88 WFTS. The original vocals of Wintertime Love sound too theatrical to me.

4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

To me the alternate sounded too uncertain like Morrison wasn't focused.

5. A well respected man

I like that uncertainty. It gives the singer an air of vulnerability and I think it fits the feel. I find Morrison hamming it up a bit in the original.

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

That's why I like the original, I like ham.

7. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Another question; would you know do the stand alone of the 1999 remasters say 2001 on them as a copyright year? I just want to know what year to look for.

8. A well respected man

1999, apparently:

dave9199 likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have read through this thread and it has been great in sorting out basically 6 studio albums (don't care about post Morrison) and the live albums have not been constantly messed with. The recent past has also now added mono versions on cd of the debut and Strange Days alongside the stereo. I have not played the stereo versions on these 2 sets so I do not know what version of the debut or mastering they use. Then there is the singles box and double cd which has a separate thread.
    On the lists in this thread I have most of the versions but as it is only 6 albums and the Doors will not be making any new music I have kept all my various copies.

anastasios likes this.
  10. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Any suggestions where the 1999 remasters might be sold second hand aside from eBay, amazon & discogs?

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A record store or thrift/charity shop. Maybe a store like half price books if you have one in the neghborhood. I'm seeing few '99 remasters these days. It's mostly '88s.

12. A well respected man

And for the first album, there's no need to track down the 99 remaster. As I said, it was newly remastered a couple of years ago. It has better sound and can be found cheap and easily in Amazon and the other usual sellers.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

As far as I can recall you can try to find Perception reissue without the peephole. It features the same 1999 remaster.

14. A well respected man

99 remaster in the CDs, 06 remixes in the DVDs. But beware, in the CD of the first album, Break on through and The End are the non-censored versions.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

As I think I have mentioned somewhere in this thread, it seems the European pressings do not have the mistake and all feature the '99 masterings.

16. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Wow. Holy edit. Going through this made my head spin. Nice job by all getting the info. Impressive.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone compare the Morrison Hotel Target to the SACD?

18. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks!

20. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Here it is George:

Target MH - EKS 75007-2 / 042-080 (CDDA 44.1K 16b)
    louder, more bass presence, saturated

AP SACD MH - CAPP 75007 SA (SACD PCM Stereo)
    not loud, more detailed sound

AF 23Kt Gold - AFZ 037 (CDDA 44.1K 16b)
    bassy, detailed

In general terms, Target is bassy and louder, AP ad AF are pretty similar despite the fact that AF is bassy and AP not, now is just preference, in this terms, MH must be bassy.

this was real fun to do, i have more MH versions: CDs and Vinyl to compare but that will be pretty hard to do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, that is helpful.

Kat Records likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

For those who have the AP SACD for The Soft Parade, is it the same mastering on the redbook and SACD layers?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

BUMP

For those who have the AP SACD for The Soft Parade, is it the same mastering on the redbook and SACD layers?

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sorry I do not know for sure. I have the AP SACD box set and I would assume that as with many hybrid SACDs the mastering for the red book layer is the same as for the SACD layer.

25. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I'm confused why Rhino didn't include all of the unreleased songs and B-sides on one edition of L.A. Woman, like the 40th, which doesn't have the B-Sides, like You Need Meat.
    In relation, is the 40th anniversary set the best sounding version of the original album on CD? Anyone have an opinion, or do a comparison?

Hep Alien likes this.