Doors cd confusion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KWDJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Cripes. The Doors of Perception Confusion.

(This list is incredibly thorough...kudos. I just mean this seems like WAY too many series of muddily-messaged reissues)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

L.A. Woman 40th Deluxe 2cd:

Disc #1 is the original mix taken from the 1999 hdcd

But check this out, the booklet has in error -the tracks listing times for the 2007 LAW re-mix.

You would think that a set titled 40th Anniv would include the 2007 remix, but it doesn't.

Does anybody have an LAW deluxe disc#1 that has the 2007 re-mix.?

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Collect 'em all!

:D

stevemoss likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Best of The Doors
    2cd Fatboy case
    Elektra 60345-2

This should on the list as it was the first Doors cd compilation and is compiled from the first digital transfers in 1985

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

No, that is the thing, the CD's are exact replicas of the 1988 CD's. What I misremembered though is that since the the inlay card was changed it is different on the back as well so there are updated 1999 credits there (but the catalogue number is still the same as the old one). It might be that the booklet is different as well with new credits. Maybe someone that has one of these can check if the booklet is updated with remastering credits? So the effect of this is that they look like the old CD's in new packaging, until you play them.

Here is an example from Discogs for "Waiting For The Sun":
    1988:http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=368687
    1999: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1454926

So note that all the European 1999 remasters have the same catalogue numbers as the 1988 CD's.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It is on the list. I'll add the catalogue number.

How is this? I can add it to the bottom of the 2001 single CD reissues.

-Single CD issue of 1999 The Complete Sudio Recordings (Cube) HDCD

- original mix - Remastered from the original 2 track masters to 96kHz 24 bit by Bruck Botnick
    and Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, California, U.S.A., August 1999

- no bonus tracks

The Doors - 74207-2 ("Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs)
    Strange Days - 4014-2
    Waiting For The Sun - 74024-2* (time?)
    The Soft Parade - 75005-2* (33:54)
    Morrison Hotel - 750007-2

L.A. Woman - 75001-2 (48:51)
    Essential Rarities - E2 62530

*some pressings may mistakenly use the non-HDCD 1988 masterings for The Soft Parade (33:50) and Waiting For The Sun (**:**).
    The 1988 Waiting For The Sun has the wrong vocal take on "Wintertime Love" ("trying desperately to be free" is not correct; "trying
    so desperately to be free" is correct.)

The European versions use the same catalog number as earlier masterings. The correct versions can be identiied by the clear plastic
    tray and a grey inlay card that said "Digitally Remastered" along the edge. The updated 1999 credit is on the back. HDCD not printed.

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, that looks good, maybe you could add that the CD's themselves are visually identical to the earlier mastering? This fooled me into thinking they were not remasters when they came out (so I passed on them, only learning after they were long out of print that they were in fact remasters in disguise).

I am still curious to know what masterings are on the 2012 Rhino Flashback CD's? 40th remixes, '99 remasters or old '88 masterings? I was hoping "Waiting For The Sun" and "Soft Parade" would turn out to be the 1999 masterings I am still missing, but probably no such luck. These Flasback reissues often have old masterings, so are they all the 1988's again? Is it established that "Waiting For The Sun" has the '88 mastering, while stating erroneously on the back that it is the 40th remixes?

8. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Okay.

The European versions use the same catalog number as earlier masterings. The correct versions can be identiied by the clear plastic
    tray and a grey inlay card that said "Digitally Remastered" along the edge. The updated 1999 credit is on the back. HDCD not printed
    on the artwork. The CD face for the 1999 remasters are identical to earlier pressings.

Are the original CDs silver faced or do they have coloured paint?

My copy of the 1999 "The Soft Parade" has a red face. Does each album have a different colour?

RingoStarr said "Waiting For The Sun" is the '88 with the wrong vocal take on "Wintertime Love." KeithH has a few titles, including "WFtS," and can double check.

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They are silver, like in the discogs links above.

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Very good investigative work going on in this thread. Makes me glad I never purchased any of the box sets post 1997. Hopefully the catalog will get restored in a more cohesive fashion with much less confusion.

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Updated. Sorry if I missed something. Let me know.

Any catalogue numbers, etc. to add+

- mastered by Bernie Grundman

Alive She Cried

- original mix
    - no mastering credit

The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have
    attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because
    of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the tape source.

The Doors
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    - "We Could Be So Good Together" 2:09
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A Woman

The Soft Parade is not part of this series

- original mixes
    - mastered by Bruce Botnick at Digital Magnetics, Los Angeles, CA.

The Best Of The Doors (60345-2)

The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have
    attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording.Because
    of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the tape source.

Live At The Hollywood Bowl

- original mix
    - mastered by Paul A. Rothchild, Bruce Botnick and The Doors

The Doors
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    ( "Wintertime Love" has wrong vocal take)
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

- original mix
    This recording has been digitically remastered from the Original Master Tapes
    for superior sound quality by Paul A. Rothchild, Bruce Botnick and The Doors.

In Concert

Comprised of live recordings previously found on "Absolutely Live," "Alive She Cried" and
    "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" with the exception of 'The End', until now unavailable on record.

DCC

- Initial master tapes prepared by Bruce Botnick
    - 24 Karat Gold engineering director: Steve Hoffman
    - CD prep: Kevin Gray

The Doors - GZS-1023
    Strange Days - GZS-1026
    LA Woman - GZS-1034
    Waiting For The Sun - GZS-1045

An American Prayer - Jim Morrison / music by The Doors (61812-2)
    Greatest Hits (Canada: WTVD 61860; Germany 61860-2)

- original mix
    - remastered by Paul A. Rothchild, Bruce Botnick and The Doors.

Absolutely Live

Box Set - mastered by Bruce Botnick

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~jt8j-mtok/010515f.htm#C08

The Complete Studio Recordings (aka The Cube) HDCD

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~jt8j-mtok/010515f.htm#C09

- original mix
    - no bonus tracks
    - Remastered from the original 2 track masters to 96kHz 24 bit by Bruck Botnick and Bernie Grundman
    at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, California, U.S.A., August 1999

The Doors - (26434-A) - "Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs
    Strange Days (26434-B)
    Waiting For The Sun (26434-C)* - time and EAC?
    The Soft Parade (26434-D)* - 33:54 - EAC: all 98.9%
    Morrison Hotel (26434-E)
    L.A. Woman (26434-F) 48:51
    Essential Rarities (26434-G)

Titles released as single CDs in 2001
    Cube reissued as a Long Box in 2003

*some pressings may mistakenly use the non-HDCD 1988 masterings for The Soft Parade (33:50) and Waiting For The Sun (**:**).
    The 1988 Waiting For The Sun has the wrong vocal take on "Wintertime Love" ("trying desperately to be free" is not correct; "trying

Incorrect masterings have not been reported for the original 1999 The Complete Studio Recordings at this time.

L.A. Woman - DVD-Audio - 62612-9 - original mix + 5.1 surround mix

- Mastered by Bruce Botnick at 96 khz/24 bit resolution.
    - DVD-A - 5.1 produced & mixed by Bruce Botnick from the original 8-track analog masters
    - Audio authoring and mastering supervisor, Al McPherson.
    - Mixing studio, Bernie Grundman Mastering.

- Photo Gallery, Lyrics, Bio, Video "The Changeling"

Single CD issues from the 1999 The Complete Sudio Recordings - HDCD

- original mix
    - no bonus tracks
    - Remastered from the original 2 track masters to 96kHz 24 bit by Bruck Botnick and Bernie
    Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, California, U.S.A., August 1999

The Doors - (74207-2) - "Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs
    Strange Days (74014-2)
    Waiting For The Sun (74024-2)* -
    The Soft Parade (75005-2)* - 33:54 - EAC: all 98.9%
    Morrison Hotel (750007-2)
    L.A. Woman (75001-2) 48:51
    Essential Rarities (E2 62530)

tray and a grey inlay card that said "Digitally Remastered" along the edge. The updated 1999 credit is on the back. HDCD not printed
    on the artwork. The CD face for the 1999 remasters are silver and identical to earlier pressings.

- Long Box reissue of The Complete Studio Recordings - HDCD (see: 1999 release for details)

Perception - 40th Anniversary Box (with bonus tracks) - CD + DVD-A

- Mastered by Bruce Botnick
    - CD: original mix - 1999 Botnick/Grundman HDCD remasters from "The Cube" (bonus tracks mastered for the first time)
    - DVD: 2 channel 40th Anniversary remix/5.1 DTS encoded surround sound mix.

- track listings and bonus tracks: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~jt8j-mtok/010515f.htm#C18

The Doors (CD: original mix "Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs -- DVD remix: speed corrected "Light My Fire")
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

- reissued in 2007 without the peephole on the box.

- The remixes from the DVD were released individually on CD in 2007

Remix versions from the 2006 40th Anniversary Perception box with bonus tracks - CD text.

- Remix produced, engineered and mixed by Bruce Botnick
    - Mastered by Bruce Botnick at Uniteye, Ujai, CA

The Doors (Canada: R2 101184)
    Strange Days (Can: R2 101183)
    Waiting For The Sun (Can: R2 101191)
    The Soft Parade (Can: R2 101187; US: 8122-79998-2)
    Morrison Hotel (Can: R2 101173)
    L.A. Woman (Can: R2 101155)

Audio Fildelity 24 karat gold CD - HDCD

- original mix
    - mastered by Steve Hoffman

The Soft Parade (AFZ 038-2) bonus track: The Soft Parade (40th Anniversary remix)

Morrison Hotel (AFZ 037-2) bonus track: Roadhouse Blues (40th Anniversary remix), Waiting for the Sun (40th Anniversary remix)

- matrix for corrected version is: $AFZ037 B9A14N (mastering SID code: IFPI L532)

2011/09/28

The Doors - Hybrid SACD (Japan - WPCR-14174)

- 2006 40th Anniversary remix and 5.1 surround sound
    - speed corrected "Light My Fire"

2011 (released 1/12)

L.A Woman - 40th Anniversary Edition 2 CD set

- Original mix
    - mastered by Bruck Botnick
    - disc 1 - original album - HCDC
    - disc 2 - mixed by Bruck Botnick - not HDCD

Disc 2: (Previously Unreleased)
    1. The Changeling (Alternate Version)
    2. Love Her Madly (Alternate Version)
    3. Cars Hiss By My Window (Alternate Version)
    4. L.A. Woman (Alternate Version)
    5. The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) (Alternate Version)
    6. Been Down So Long (Alternate Version)
    7. Riders On The Storm (Alternate Version)
    8. She Smells So Nice
    9. Rock Me

- disc 1 mastering appears to be a slightly tweaked version of the 1999 mastering.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/doors-cd-confusion.338514/page-8#post-9864430

Rhino Flashback series

mixes/mastering?

The Doors
    Strange Days
    Waiting for the Sun
    (R2-531886) ( "Wintertime Love" has wrong vocal take)
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

Hybrid SACD http://www.analogueproductions.com/index.cfm?do=search

- original mix + 5.1 surround mix
    - mastered by Doug Sax

"The surround sound program on the Doors SACDs comes from the original 96K, 24-bit files
    mixed and mastered by Bruce Botnick for the DVD-Audio Perception release."

"[mastered] from the original analog masters by Doug Sax, with the exception of The Doors,
    which was made from the best tape copy."

"The Doors self-titled 1967 release famously contains some incorrect speed and pitch issues.
    While there have been "corrected" versions made, in the interests of being historically accurate,
    this Analogue Productions reissue was cut without speed or pitch correction."

The Doors
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

Infinite - box with all six SACD - http://www.analogueproductions.com/index.cfm?do=detail&Title_ID=83212

The Doors Japan CD releases.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/doors-cd-confusion.338514/page-8#post-9867121

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Chris Haley likes this.
  12. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I bought all the 2001 HDCDs individually a few years ago. All were correct except The Soft Parade had the old mastering and wasn't HDCD. I complained to Dr. Rhino and he sent me one of the mini-LP Soft Parade's from the Complete Studio Recordings set (26434-D, running time 33:53)....and it also had the old mastering. I just gave up at that point.

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think so far only "Waiting For The Sun", "The Soft Parade" and "Morrison Hotel" have been released as Rhino Flashback (and those didn't come out all at once, but months apart, in that order, so maybe the rest will follow).

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

After the 1999 studio albums Cube box came out I remember people posting on alt.music.the-doors about the indicator or light on their HDCD player not showing The Soft Parade CD as HDCD encoded. This pissed off quite a few people. Plus the Cube packaging got complaints as well (hard to get the discs out without damaging the sleeves). This and lack of money halted all my Door's purchases for the most part except for a few used items and I don't even have an HDCD player.

15. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Did these turn out to be the 1988 original mastering included in the first release of the 1999 Cube set? A member has the wrong mastering (along with "Waiting For The Sun") in his 2003 reissue Long Box.

Okay. Keith has these and will check them out when he gets a chance.

16. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Correction ~ (62434-2D, running time 33:53)

17. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks.

Are the CDs in the Cube mini-LP packaging or jewel cases? When were the mini-LPs released?

18. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

According to pics posted on Amazon, the cube contains mini-LPs. I assume the long box version uses the same as that's where I think the replacement sent to me was from. No barcode.

61wrBzP3I5L.jpg

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I have the cube. They're mini-LPs. I'm pretty sure that the long box has jewel cases. There were some complaints from fans that it was difficult to slide the mini-LPs out of the cube box resulting in wear and tear to the mini-LP covers.

20. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

21. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I just saw pics of the long box on Ebay and it contains mini-LPs same as the cube.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

OK. Thanks.

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks. The 1999 Cube and 2003 Long Box have mini-LPs and the individual 2001 CD releases have jewel cases. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Perception - 40th Anniversary Box (with bonus tracks) - CD + DVD-A

- CD: original mix - 1999 Botnick/Grundman HDCD remasters from "The Cube" (bonus tracks mastered for the first time)
    - DVD: 2 channel 40th Anniversary remix/5.1 DTS encoded surround sound mix.

- track listings and bonus tracks:
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~jt8j-mtok/010515f.htm#C18

The Doors (CD: original mix "Break On Through" has high/"The End" has F-bombs -- DVD remix: speed corrected "Light My Fire")
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

- reissued in 2007 without the peephole on the box.

- The remixes from the DVD were released individually on CD in 2007 with bonus tracks and in 2011 as The Collection without bonus tracks.

The Collection (UK)

- Reissue of 2006 40th Anniversary remixes without bonus tracks
    - Mastered by Bruce Botnic
    - Original artwork in replicated paper sleeves

The Doors
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

Chris Haley likes this.
  24. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Here is another UK compilation. The track listing doesn't have the uaual suspects and looks quite intersting. Does anyone have this comp?

mastering/mix?

The Platinum Collection (Rhino/Warner Special Market UK)

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Coll...624&sr=1-1&keywords=Platinum Collection doors

1. Moonlight Drive
    2. Soul Kitchen
    3. Bird of Prey
    4. Take It as It Comes
    5. You're Lost Little Girl
    6. My Eyes Have Seen You
    7. The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)
    8. Summer's Almost Gone
    9. The Spy
    10. Tell All the People
    11. Queen of the Highway
    12. Shaman's Blues
    13. Hyacinth House
    14. Cars Hiss by My Window
    15. Love Street

"Bird Of Prey" is a bonus track from An American Prayer.

A Collection (UK)

- Reissue of 2006 40th Anniversary remixes without bonus tracks
    - Original artwork in replicated paper sleeves

The Doors
    Strange Days
    Waiting For The Sun
    The Soft Parade
    Morrison Hotel
    L.A. Woman

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Chris Haley likes this.
  25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Darcy, how are you holding out? Need water?

[​IMG]

:D