Doors Complete Studio Recordings Box Set Bargain!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

2. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Any word on the sound quality of this?

3. Michael

It cost me near $100.00. I'm happy with it.:) And it's HDCD if that matters to you.

4. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Thanks for the "Heads-up" and information on this set.
    If I may ask one more question, are these people good to deal with?
    Fast shippers?

Thanks,

5. Michael

I had no problems with them, pretty good company.:)

6. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I notice this is listed as a cut out. How badly does the cutout affect the packaging? Also, idid yours come with o hole or a sawmarK?

Thanks!

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Matt...these guys are all right. Quick and they don't list stuff that they don't carry like a lot of other internet companies. Be sure to look at the gold cut-outs. Lots of DCC going for $10-15! :D

8. Michael

I purchased mine when it was first released. Not as a cut-out.:)

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Damn! I paid $49 for mine, USED! Oh well, it's still worth every penny, and more! It made my take notice of all of the Doors albums and how good they are.

The sound is the best i've ever heard from the Doors without having heard the DCC discs. To have the original, uncensored version of "Break On Through" is almost worth the box to me!

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Is this set supposed to come with a book, notes, lyrics, etc? Mine does not have any material like this, but I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to come with printed lyrics to all the songs. Is this true?

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

These versions are also available now individually in stores. Look for the "remastered August 1999" blurb on the back. Have four of them. Love the unexpurgated "Break On Through" and "The End"("She gets high!" and "F--k, f--k, f--k"). Great stuff.

12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The box set comes with a booklet that has lyrics to all the songs and band photos. Very poorly bound and way too tight a fit into the plastic slots in the box.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks John - I guess I got screwed! :eek:

14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I got both Badfinger's No Dice & Jefferson Starship's Red Octopus for $9.99
    each a few months ago. Other than the sawmark that into the slip covers a bit there in excellent condition and arrived within a week from the order date.

15. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

The box sounds good, but Grundman has used some compression/limiting during the mastering, the DCC releases don´t have this. So I prefer the DCC releases mastered by Steve.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

So Bernie mastered this set? I don't know since I have no printed material and never noticed any mastering credits on the sleeves.

17. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

Petzi (or anyone else) -
    I have the box - haven't heard any DCCs. How much of a difference in sound lieth in these versions. Enough to warrant me getting any DCC(s) some day? If I did, it would probably be an early one, and it would have to be a substantial improvement over the Complete Studio Recordings....
    Thanks

18. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I have the "Best of the Doors" Cd which is the same remasterings as the box set. I describe them as a bit "different" than the DCCs, although, I prefer the DCCs , ther are some things on the boxset for us completists. So i will be buying it myself!BTW they are brighter by a bit.

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

For the record, I purchased one of these boxsets from MFAS for $39.99. It came today and it is in PERFECT condition. No cuts ANYWHERE on the box! Kinda unusual for a cutout, eh?

20. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Yes.

21. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

If you see a Doors LP or CD released by DCC, buy it, if the price is reasonable. As I said, no compression was used during the mastering, and I hate compression. I like the sound of the DCC better than the sound of the Grundman masterings. However, it´s not like night and day or something.

22. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

I thought Bruce Botnick remastered this set. That's what it SAYS anyway. Am I missing something?

23. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

From memory, I believe it was mastered by both Bruce and Bernie.

24. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Anyone interested in the set should grab it at that price. I have it, paid a lot more, but I am still satisfied and the sound is excellent.
    I would only think of replacing it if it went SACD and there is not much chance of that, at least at this point anyway.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Petzi, Duke, Peter - thanks for the info on who mastered this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.