DOORS-Did you buy "The Soft Parade" when it was new? What color were your labels?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timind

timind phorum rezident

Mine had the red label, bought it 69.' It had the lyric sheet with pics.
    After all these years it may be my favorite Doors album. I actually just finished listening to it and I swear I can still sing the lyrics to the title track with all grunts and "yeahs" in their proper place.

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The 1988 CD.

3. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Red label. But a "cut-out" for a buck less at my local Woolworth's.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The 1999 CD has a red face. I guess this is to match the first LP release. Other 1999 titles have different colour paint and I wonder if they all match their original LP conterparts?

Platterpus likes this.
  5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I do have a gold label copy around here somewhere. It is an oddity.

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Red on a copy bought in Gallatin,TN, 1969.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

You take good care of your stuff Chris. That's an impressive collection you have there..':cheers:

8. Reader

Reader Senior Member

This thread is almost 5 years old and no one has posted a photo of a gold label U.S. pressing. I don't doubt that a few were released with old stock labels but Elektra released it with the then new red label. Enough people have posted about copies bought from many different areas and they are almost always red. If you have a gold label copy, please double check and see if it is a U.S. pressing and do post a photo. It doesn't really matter but I'm curious (red), to see a copy.

9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I'll try and remember to do that. Since I first posted about finding a gold label Soft Parade, I actually found another one. Definitely US pressing. Also, there are usually at least a couple on ebay at any given time. Here's one now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Doors-S...9650806?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1e83c390f6

10. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Here ya' go:

[​IMG]

reb likes this.
  11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Typesetting looks wrong on those gold labels. Has to be some kind of "farm-out" pressing.

W.B. likes this.
  13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Red label, can't remember date of purchase. Probably late 70's.

14. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I had an original Canadian and it was a gold/tan label. We had that label up here for every Doors album until the compilation 13 was released (it was the butterfly label as was LA Woman)
    Also, on our gold/tan labels we never had the Doors logo.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

In the USA, 13 went from Red label to Butterfly. And Absolutely Live was the first to be pressed with Butterfly- (to the best of my knowledge)

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

HUH? "Touch Me" was the first 45 I bough as a kid in December '68. The album would not come out until July '69. The followup single "Wishful Sinful" would be released before the album as well. The current LP at the time "Touch Me" was on the charts was "Waiting For The Sun" which I also purchased (it had a gold label IIRC).

I don't know whose chart would still had "Touch Me" 6 months and one single later?

17. old school

old school Senior Member

I will go check mine but bought it 10/69 the label was gold as I remember.

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Bought mine when released in NY and it was Red, still have it.

19. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

none in the USA

20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I saw an Absolutely Live with red labels and the big E a few months ago at a record store - that came out in July '70. 13 came out in Nov. '70 and the white label promos had the butterfly.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Bought by older brother, new, on release week. Gold label, Elektra sleeve. He got it at Kings Record Shop in good old Louisville I'm pretty sure.

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Yes. Red. I wish I still had it.

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The red label big E Absolutely Live pressings I see for sale on eBay are non USA. While the red label small e 13 are USA.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Interesting. I'll hit the store again this weekend, see if they still have it, and do my due diligence. So basically, the big red E labels were used in the U.S. for about a year at the most?

25. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Here is a pic of mine. Got it recently in Ithaca, NY. I have 3 other red label pressings and they all sound very good including this one. I actually like the gold one a little better.

This pressing has AL and MMMD in the dead wax.

upload_2014-1-16_23-26-13.jpeg

PBo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.