Doors S/T mono official digital release on Amazon...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pronghorn, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

It's also on iTunes, but harder to find because it's not labeled as "Mono" the last I checked. There are 2 or 3 versions of the self-titled up there, and you just have to listen to samples to find it.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Stuff like this makes me glad I have a turntable.

4. pronghorn

Good to know, thanks!

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

This is an "official" needle-drop, right? And only available as a download...talk about colliding technologies.

asdf35 likes this.
  6. pronghorn

Is it a needle-drop? I hadn't heard that.

7. Jose Jones

How else would it be available digitally? Would Elektra or whoever owns them now prepare a digital master from the original mono tapes just for selling via download?

8. pronghorn

I think it's from Rhino who also released the LP.

There's no way the LP was cut from a needle-drop I assume.

I would imagine the source for these files was the same source as the LP they released (whatever that was).

9. Jose Jones

Interesting, I never knew there was a mono reissue on vinyl of the debut album. When did that come out?

10. pronghorn

11. sf74

sf74 Active Member

it was also available separately (from the box set) last Black Friday/Record Store Day 2010. there are probably still copies floating around shops

12. pronghorn

Interesting thanks!

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Yep, I'm very happy they finally sold it separately. I picked mine up just after Thanksgiving. Love it!

14. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

If this is a needledrop or from the same source as the LP cut...why oh why don't they offer up 24/96!?! Dadgum irritating is what it is.

15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Did the mono mix of LMF always run a correct pitch or was it too slow like the original stereo mix?

16. pronghorn

good question

17. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

I remember reading that was the only version before the remix to have LMF at the correct pitch, but I don't have a source for it.

18. The Doors lost a sale from me by not releasing a CD for the mono mix. Would a couple of thousand copies been that hard to create?

19. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

You could listen to the Amazon sample.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heh, you make it seem like it was off pitch by accident or something. It was an artistic choice to slow it down a bit.

Pats Radio likes this.
  21. monkboughtlunch

I actually suspected it may have been a deliberate choice. The background:

In the year 2000, I emailed Mr. Botnick and asked why Light My Fire ran a half step slow compared to all live versions. I specifically asked him if it was intentionally slowed down for surreal effect -- or if the tape machine was not running at correct speed during the mixdown. He stated it ran at correct speed and was not intentionally slowed down by either he or Rothchild. I then asked Botnick if he had compared the pitch on the stereo mix with the pitch on the multis. He said he had compared the multis with stereo mix and there "was no appreciable difference" in pitch.

However, in 2006 Botnick remixed The Doors and Light My Fire ran at correct pitch. In the liner notes of the 2006 The Doors s/t remix Botnick ascribes the issue to a tape machine not running at correct speed. Botnick notes it was first brought to his attention by a professor 3 years after I reached out to him.

Here's Botnick's quotes from the liner notes.

raphph likes this.
  22. So was it a mistake it ran slow or an artistic choice? Seems to be two opinions on the subject.

23. monkboughtlunch

Does anyone have an original first pressing of the mono mix for the debut album? I'm curious if the mono album mix of Light My Fire ran at correct pitch or not.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

C'mon, the album was mixed at Sunset Sound, not Elektra.

People just don't remember but nothing like that could have happened by accident or malfunction.

When I did an (unissued) test remix of LIGHT MY FIRE a few years ago I had to VSO the machine way down to get it to match.

Wayyyyy
    Dowwwnnn.

25. monkboughtlunch

I don't disagree. Despite Botnick's email feedback to me and his liner notes in the 2006 remix, I have the lingering suspicion Rothchild may have intentionally slowed down LMF to get a "Strawberry Fields" type of psychedelic effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.