Doors strange days mono vinyl reissue April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SCOTT1234, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The entire album is a dedicated mono mix. There are no folds.

2. I thought I recall you saying in the past that most of it was a fold?

3. Steve Hoffman

The recording engineer logbook proves otherwise.

Soundslave, Wally Swift and Shawn like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just found this from October, 2006 :

" The second album STRANGE DAYS was recorded on the new (at the time) Sunset Sound solid state 8-track tape and mixed to stereo. I think Mr. Botnick was unhappy with the soft sound of the earlier 8-track attempt (Love's "FOREVER CHANGES" aka "THE THIRD COMING OF LOVE") and tried to get a harder sound for STRANGE DAYS. Most of the songs on the mono version are clever fold downs of the stereo. A few like the unique UNHAPPY GIRL are obviously dedicated mixes. When the stereo LP was cut, the actual SUNSET SOUND master was never used as it was deemed "too difficult to cut" so they prepared a so-called LEDO copy and cut from that. Basically the same as an EMI/Abbey Road "Equalized And Compressed" tape dub it has smoothed out transients and less piercing EQ. The DCC version of course bypassed this tape and used the original stereo master, smoothing out the thin EQ by the usual "Steve Trickery". "

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...oors-stereo-remixes.94112/page-3#post-2073338

rxcory, Hawklord and Pappas3278 like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, great detective work, Myke!

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Post # 3 in this thread > A hyperlink in Post # 33 of the next thread > voila !

7. Steve Hoffman

Soundslave and Pats Radio like this.
  8. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Has anyone been able to dig up confirmation on whether or not this is an AAA or digital cut?

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Is the UK mono release a fold down?

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Doesn't the RSD promo state it: Reissue of short lived mono version from 1967. Custom inner sleeve and insert. Direct to 24 point board at Stoughton (which printed original jacket). Cut from the original masters by Doors producer, Bruce Botnick. Commercially released on vinyl in 1967 for a limited time, first vinyl reissue since then.

I know that promos can be deceptive but it this leans to an AAA promo. Who knows though. Good question regardless. I'm sure Bruce Botnick didn't actually do the cutting either, so maybe another badly written PR...

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

No idea whatsoever.

12. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I shall be making my way to my local record store for this one. Their best album IMO and currently commanding silly money.

mcenters likes this.
  13. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

It's a must have. Agreed. I'm just not going to the store to get it. I'm buying it online and will gladly overspend to get it. I hate RSD.

14. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Where?

15. Pats Radio

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The print run is enough that it'll still be at stores on RSD by noon when you can probably be in and out of the store in 5-10 minutes.

17. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

But the question still remains: Is this a fresh cut from the analog tapes or from digital?

Not important to all, but is for many.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  18. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I'm confident of picking this one up at my local record store. Just spoke with the owner and he's getting fifteen copies in! Hooray! I'm keen to avoid the inevitable price hike on e bay.
    It would be nice to have a bit more info on this release though. We've established that the USA had dedicated mono mixes when it was originally released. I'm not sure about the British version as I've never heard it. I'm going to assume these will be dedicated mono mixes for this RSD version. I'm hoping this will be an all analogue release too.

19. Pats Radio

It's about convenience fellas.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He did say that, if I recall right, but we all make mistakes :)

21. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I wonder if I can get this in the Netherlands? This will be my first RSD outside of the U.S.

22. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

24. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

The in print EU pressings (Rhino) are digital and they sound great , cut by Bernie Grundman.

25. Pats Radio

Already bought one. Did I say I hate RSD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.