Doors strange days mono vinyl reissue April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SCOTT1234, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

jonnyeric and nicotinecaffeine like this.
  2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I saw a copy on EBay numbered 11,977

Pats Radio likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The number of Doors fans that buy vinyl and want mono is actually fairly small. Also many won't be aware of this release. 12,500 is rather a large run by todays standards more than double most audiophile releases. There are some releases of big selling contemporary albums on vinyl that are only 1000 pressings unless they see sense and do a second larger run eventually.

4. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Mine is playing right now, number 5457 bought at my local record store in Warminster, England. I have to say its awesome. Totally flat, no non fill, made in EU. Cover says printed in USA. The vocals are upfront, it's rougher, more rock n roll, sounds more like a premier league garage band. It's certainly a different listen to the stereo such that I am convinced that this is a dedicated mix as the host says. I'm so glad I bought this one. Would be interesting to know how many are out there. The RSD info in England says 1000 copies, but that must just be here!

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

There are A LOT of these out there;) Which I think is great btw because that way everybody can easily get a copy as the large run makes it unattractive for flippers. Paid 21€ for mine. Could this release be a role model for future RSDs?

6. Classicrock

Just paid £14.50 from Amazon UK third party seller. (likely a US copy)

7. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

isn't that seller swiss

isn't that seller swiss

8. Classicrock

I used Dodax UK as they are reliable from previous experience and have a UK returns facility but US pricing.

PH416156 likes this.
  9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The numbers are random and therefore irrelevant, they have no correlation to order of pressing.

10. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I love my copy. Perfect flat vinyl. First time I hear the mono and I think I prefer it over the stereo.

Does anyone know the source for this pressing?

11. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Totally agree. I think the mono suits the mood of the music better. The stereo is fantastic too but then I think that this is their best album. It's a lovely pressing.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Sounds good. How do they pack vinyl? Thanks!

13. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Ordered myself a copy from ebay. Hope it gets to me safe and soon. Can anyone post some pics, please?

14. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

The following analysis is from Prof. Stoned's Blog, which made me track down an original mono pressing with which I am totally happy:

It has long been discussed on various message boards how many of the songs were true mono mixes. When asked recently,
    original recording engineer Bruce Botnick has pointed out that most of the tracks were dedicated mono mixes but he
    couldn't remember which songs it concerned.

So, I've done an attempt to figure this out. After two extensive comparing sessions with a folded stereo version,
    I have come to the conclusion that only three songs could possibly be folddowns. I will give a brief breakdown of notable
    differences here:

Tr. 01: Different echo on moog effect on vocals in parts. Listen to "We shall GO ON PLAYING OR FIND a new town";
    on the stereo version the effect is mostly absent on the lines marked in capitol letters, while being there loud and clear
    on the mono. The moog effect was not on the multitracks, as evidenced by the pretty awful 2006 stereo remix.

Tr. 02: The balances are more or less the same. This could be a folddown touched-up with some additional EQ and compression.
    Actually, the whole album is more compressed sounding in mono than in stereo. This was probably done with the purpose
    of achieving a more radio friendly sound. But point is, it's really hard to distinguish the mono/stereo differences between
    most of the tracks here and it seems likely that the stereo and mono mixes were prepared during the same sessions because
    the reverb (and other side FX) sound exactly the same on nearly every song. So, there really is no way for me to be 100%
    certain about this song.

Tr. 03: Same conclusion as Tr. 02.

Tr. 04: The handclaps & tambourine are missing entirely on the stereo version, suggesting that the producer thought of this
    song as a potential hit.

tr. 05: Likely to be a fold. Most of the manipulated white noise that is heard so clearly at the beginning on the stereo is
    cancelled out when folded, giving the exact same sound as on the mono mix. No differences between the elements or the balance.

Tr. 06: Reverb on voice at the end of the song is missing in mono and the outro lasts about 3 secs longer.

Tr. 07: This always sounded like a fold to me, but clearly it isn't. The rhythm guitar which plays the muted chords is
    much less present in mono (for example: it's hardly there at 0.36 - 0.39 and absent during the guitar & piano solo's.).

Tr. 08: Different bass intro and the vocals are faded much earlier at the end of the mono version.

Tr. 09: Backward recorded percussion effect (sounds like ticking) starts on both mixes at 1.39 but is faded down (but not
    completely out) quickly after four seconds on the mono, while lasting the whole chorus in stereo.

Tr. 10: Morrison does some yelling before the grand double guitar solo at 2:56 (something like "f***ing $!@^!@ ....baby",
    I think, or is it just me?!). The word "baby" is much more buried within the mono mix. Also, at the end of the solo,
    when the guitar notes are still fading, Manzarek hits the same note three times on the organ. These notes are better
    noticeable on the mono mix. I wish I could find more obvious examples than this, but this song has very few overdubs or
    studio trickery and the balancing is very much alike. Overall, there is more bass organ present on the mono mix,
    but I wouldn't necessarily include that as proof of being a true mono mix.​

Shawn, Hawklord and rxcory like this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I've heard the mono mix, via needledrop. It does sound good, but the differences are very minor.

My experience hearing it pretty much lines up with the comments posted above, which is also why I've never gone out of my way tracking down a mono. If you're really obsessed with this album and enjoy owning multiple copies of your favorite LPs, definitely go for it. Otherwise, the standard stereo mix is definitive (I'm sticking with my '80s US re-press).

Raynie likes this.
  16. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

That is A LOT!

17. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

The Doors?

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  18. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

The RSD Strange Days mono vinyl.

19. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

\
    Very good I wasn't sure what album you were referring to. Thanks it's one that's on my list.

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Oh, I thought you were being funny.

The Source for Strange Days is The Doors. :biglaugh:

stereoptic, Hawklord and sassi like this.
  21. It's not necessarily the differences that make the mono interesting but simply the material being presented single-channel. Although like you, I do prefer the stereo... and oddly enough I also prefer the 80's repress - not sure how but it sounds fantastic.

22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Would the mono version be subjected to the same copyright laws as the stereo version, being that both are technically different releases, or would each release have a slightly different time frame being that they didn't come out at the same time?

23. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Picked up my copy #2215 about an hour ago and listening to side 2 as we speak. Love it beyond belief.

Pats Radio and Encuentro like this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The store I visited today got six of those mono Doors records and they were out the door within 2 minutes, so I missed them. I picked up the Eno RSD and a handful of older titles.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I picked this up about 11 am in Austin at Piranha Records but have not had a chance to play so far today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.