Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. All Doors comps are a fail in my book. No other band had such a lucid and distinctive sound, but radically different production, across each of its albums as The Doors did. Mixing songs up from different periods just doesn't work as the production styles jar. Each album had its own distinct sonic signature. In fact if you listen to L.A.Woman immediately after the debut it's hard to believe you're even listening to the same band.

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I understand what you're saying, but doesn't this apply to every recording artist?

Encuentro and audiomixer like this.
  3. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...correct...

...the blu ray is sourced from the original analog tapes but in reality this release is not the same mix from 1974 because Bruce B. And Technology ...I don't think I'm writing correctly , sorry :(
    ...I'm trying thou' ...

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't think the comps fail, as much as there's no reason to have so many comps when they only released 6 studio albums from 1967-71.

Regarding your mention of L.A. Woman, it *is* jarring if you don't recognize that familiar sound. One thing is for certain, in my mind, that L.A. Woman sounds like a band with a major pair of cajones. And it certainly almost sounds like a different singer. But, ya know, I wouldn't change a thing about The Doors.

5. pool_of_tears

Good points, but keep in mind that hindsight is 20/20...Break On Through wasn't the iconic song it is nowadays. Then again, if you've 13 and Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine, you've a fantastic triple shot of albums :)

Hep Alien, lovemygirl, duggan and 2 others like this.
  6. Okay, maybe I'm being a little facetious with my chosen examples to better illustrate my point but, no.......just look at Status Quo and Oasis for example! ;)

lovemygirl likes this.
  7. I thing Weird Scenes is a perfect comp because it's not just a hits package.

Hep Alien, pdenny, lovemygirl and 3 others like this.
  8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Doors 13 is essential IMO because it's an official Morrison era Doors album. The only comp issued when Jim was alive.

Plus the album cover is awesome - easily my favorite Doors lp cover !

The image depicts Jim's importance within the band............:cool:

[​IMG]

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am surprised this hasn't been reissued yet.

duggan, blueoysterdvp and reb like this.
  10. Jim absolutely LOATHED that cover. It's a typical "band as promoted by record company" cover design and didn't reflect the band's core values (at the time) or what they hoped for from their paymasters.

As for it being "essential", well, it contained only a sampling of previously released material and was an unnecessary stop-gap put out simply because the company was awaiting delivery of a new album. If that's your idea of essential, then yes it is I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah, it WOULD be nice to have "13" on CD as a companion to "Weird Scenes"....

12. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I'm sure it will get some love down the road.

lovemygirl and Tjazz like this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's pointless now though. Weird Scenes at least when it was reissued had some unique tracks that you otherwise needed to buy a big box to get, and was quite an interesting compilation. 13 just is very lazy, you could make it yourself if you want. I can't imagine it selling very many copies, everyone will have the tracks. I wouldn't be surprised to see a RSD vinyl release though, that would work as the Doors seem to be able to put any old crap out on RSD and it sells.

14. Well said and exactly what I was thinking!

Jim B. likes this.
  15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The post Morrison material does absolutely nothing for me.

Simon A and bluesbro like this.
  16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

[​IMG]

The original cover that the whole band hated.

lovemygirl, billnunan and Simon A like this.
  17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I don't blame 'em!

lovemygirl and billnunan like this.
  18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The inner sleeve photos for 13 were a bit unsettling - a super stoned Jim holding a lamb and some weird guitar worship onstage ala David Bowie :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great back cover shot, I always thought :

[​IMG]

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Unsettling because they're from the infamous Miami concert. The "guitar worship" picture even came up during the trial...

lovemygirl likes this.
  20. alduchaney

alduchaney In my second circle and heading for the top

My replacement (2 CD) set is due today. If the glitch is there again, (after even MORE carefully extracting the discs), I'll try different players, and /or return it and spring for the Blu ray version. I saved a couple of dollars just because I already have the Quad (AF), but it would not be the first repeat in my collection. I presume my scratches occurred in transit as they were kind of circular, like they had been spinning in the cardboard long before I even opened the packaging. More to come....

21. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

You ever actually heard a Quo album?

lovemygirl likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

I think so, too...because it works as a compiltion of their darker material, a bit like the inside of a mine...dark :)

Hep Alien and lovemygirl like this.
  23. Be interesting to see a list of Doors studio masters that haven't appeared on a comp/greatest hits album. Wait, better not as it will give them an idea for their next release.

Hep Alien, Blue Cactus and lovemygirl like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

First, a perhaps silly question: was the original 45 of Wishful Sinful a different mix from the album?

Second, comparing the post-Morrison singles to the albums, it seems Tightrope Ride and The Mosquito are different mixes, while the others are the same mixes (albeit some edited!). Anyone care to confirm or correct this statement?

Hep Alien and lovemygirl like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Evaluating that material in such detail would be a bit of a challenge.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.