Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...I don't believe the concert hurt their reputation as artists. I think it actually added more attention and Jim was just reacting to the 'Living Theart' but he was drunk and I believe he planned the whole thing. It just kinda back fired in his face and the organization of the doors...it was art. Just my thoughts thou' .... it definitely hurt the band and label financially...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

He was too drunk to pull off any artistic plans he may have had. There was nothing artistic about Miami. It was a shambolic gig that generated more internal band tensions and had Morrison facing prison time. Not exactly as planned.

3. lovemygirl

...I see what your saying but in the end, all four members signed off on all their art/production releases ... Jim was a very smart guy! ...

4. lovemygirl

...I've heard from some friends of jims say the opposite thou' in reading Frank L. book 'Gathering Of Friends'.....great book by the way! I would recommend this book to any Doors fan!!! :righton:

Hep Alien, Revolver and blueoysterdvp like this.
  5. lovemygirl

...he was drunk but by the time the performace was over and Jim Morrison and the band left the stage, he was backstage having beers with the cops, but that was Jim Morrison ...

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The best book on Jim Morrison by a mile.

7. lovemygirl

Yes it's primo A+++ in my opinion ...do you remember reading that part in the book, forgot who was quoted, it was the concert promoter , Alan maybe? ....:)

8. lovemygirl

...I think their might be a cd or a vinyl being released on 10/06/2017...:shh: ...:whistle:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Don't give them ideas...

Kat Records likes this.
  10. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

When listening on this streaming via Tidal MQA, the song Love Street seems to be at much lower volume, and also more anemic sounding, than the songs surrounding it. Is this the case also with the physical CD?

Very annoying to me since this is one of my favorite songs and the 5.1-version on the Perception box, which is my only reference, is really good sounding.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

They need to reissue 13. The reissue of Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine looks lonely without it.

duggan and Spitfire like this.
  12. Yes, I have and owned many back in the heady days of my youth. Why?

With all due respect I think you might be missing the contentious issue with the photos: it wasn't Jim being "front and centre" as much as it was Jim being pictured as a towering giant, a modern day Dionysus standing out and at a completely different scale to the other three. This solely applies to the debut, Absolutely Live and '13', all covers Jim loathed for that specific reason. No others need apply.

lovemygirl and jsayers like this.
  13. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

The best depiction of Jim hands down. Real interviews with friends and Elektra employees from The Doors offices. Frank Lisciandro did a great job. My favorite Doors/Jim Morrison book.

Hep Alien, Clanceman and lovemygirl like this.
  14. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Very strange they released 4 singles from The Soft Parade, the norm was 2 singles per album, Morrison Hotel got a lowly 1.

15. Maybe due to the fact that the album took an inordinate amount of time (for The Doors anyway) to complete so some were released well in advance of the album to keep the band in the public mind when things were quieter.

Hep Alien and lovemygirl like this.
  16. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree because it did take longer to make and stay in the public eye. Especially with the Miami incident, hardly any concerts. Personally I think it is their most commercial album. I know many Doors fans don't like it or as much as the other releases. I Love "The Soft Parade" but that's me. Saw them live when I was 13 on September 1, 1968 before they left for Europe. "Touch Me" and "Wild Child" on The Smothers Brothers Show were the first new Doors songs I heard since the concert.
    Just a side note, it still baffles me that "You're Lost Little Girl" was never released as a single in the USA. I know it was released in the Netherlands but not until 1972.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Revolver and lovemygirl like this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Money beats loathing contempt every time......;)

SteveM likes this.
  18. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I always thought the Morrison Hotel cover art/photo was poor and hurt the sales of the album.

19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think the weaker material hurt the sales more.

JuanTCB, Simon A and audiomixer like this.
  20. And yet it's often perceived as the band's strongest effort since Strange Days. At the time it was lauded as a return to form. Clearly The Soft Parade was a mess and a failed attempt to produce another Sgt Pepper (at best) or just a haphazard collection of different ideas without much direction (at worst). The song-writing is all over the place. Morrison Hotel was more consistent than either of its two immediate predecessors.

Hep Alien and Skip Reynolds like this.
  21. lovemygirl

...'Morrison Hotel' is IMOP is perfect! The whole Album feels like one long concert. Imagine seeing the band perform the complete album live...with Jim Morrison adding some poetry between songs or just instrumentals as well from the band jamming...
    ...if I remember correctly , the only time the Doors performed an entire LP live was their first album in 1967....that's what I wanna hear!...:D

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've never really connected with it, stylistically it is more consistent than Soft Parade but I still feel Parade has some stronger tracks, but I prefer all of the other 4 albums to these 2. Touch Me is awesome IMO and the title track has always been a laugh between me and my friends. I mean if people love Hotel more than any other Doors album more power to them, but I'm not feelin' it. :)

lovemygirl and Simon A like this.
  23. lovemygirl

...'The Soft Parade' is really one of my most favorite Doors albums released. I think, just my opinion, the album released in 1969 had a universal appeal to a large mass of population by society's standards at the time. To me , The 'Soft Parade' album is very political and commercially directed towards CHANGE...:)

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Disc 1 from the BR set is defective.

Surface has a burn mark across the disc.

25. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Could it be from the digipak packaging?