Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have a Blu Ray player. What else do I need to enjoy the Blu Ray (disc 3) if I decide to buy that version? I'm a two speaker/channel listener with no surround components.

2. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

Which one is the single/remix/edit, you name it.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I might have missed it earl
    I'd be curious on this as well. Has anyone compared the quad mix of the AF SACD to the Blu-ray? Thanks :)!

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Does this help ?

ti-triodes likes this.
  5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I ordered the CD/BluRay set and hope to see it in the next week when it's released here in CDN. I'm reading comparisons of the BluRay to a AF SACD. Still learning the acronyms here on the forum so what does AF stand for in AF SACD which the latest release is being compared to?

6. Myke

Audio Fidelity.

7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Thanks Myke for what AF means. So the release of the Quad mix isn't being done for the 1st time since 1973?

Myke likes this.
  8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

There's a slight skip on "Break On Through" at about the 1.58 mark. Anyone else have this problem?

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The AF SACD also has the quad mixes as does the Blu-ray on the Singles set.

The question that remains is how the quad mix on the AF SACD will compare to the mix on the Blu-ray. In the first post from this thread started by Steve Hoffman its states "I mastered both the stereo version and the quadraphonic version". So does the quad mix on the Blu-ray have Steve's mastering? If not then the two quad mixes could sound different. I'm going to Bull Moose in Portsmouth, NH tomorrow and will most likely pickup the Singles CD/Blu-ray set. If I do buy the set I'll definitely compare the two quad mixes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    IronWaffle likes this.
  10. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

11. Myke

No, this is the second time. The pictured AF SACD was the first (since 1973) to my knowledge.

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Have the skipping issues mentioned on this set been isolated as to what song(s) and which version of the set was purchased. Does it skip on one of your CD players or all of them? Do they rip okay? I may just wait a little to buy mine until this is resolved.

13. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the info and education. Back in 1981 as a high school kid I bought every LP The Doors had released at that time due to hearing the Greatest Hits package at all the parties and they quickly became my favourite band by a mile when my friends were into the New Wave movement. I then replaced those LP's with the CD versions when that became popular. I'm still using my Alpine CD player that I bought in 1986 to play those discs. After that time I got busy for a very long time with limited time to follow any of The Doors releases or any thing else. Now I'm back with the time to follow things but certainly a few things have happened after the 1980's ended !

With all that being said was the AF SACD of the Quad mix a regular commercial release like all the rest of the discs I've picked up over the years prior?

14. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

You need extra speakers and a surround system. This is a surround channel disc.

Platterpus likes this.
  15. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

It was commercially released by Audio Fidelity a couple of years ago and now out of print.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have no surround components so it would be pointless then. Thought I'd ask to be sure since I am green as far as modern technology is concerned. Thanks for the info.

17. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Thanks jjh1959.
    So The Doors CD bin in the now defunct FutureShop or Best Buy would have had this AF Quad release in with other The Doors releases I currently own?

18. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Probably not.

19. The quad SACD from Audio Fidelity commands significant dollars these days on the used market. Most of AF's quad SACDs have shot up in price once they go out of print because most of the bigger labels these days have no interest in issuing quad mixes. See the recent kerfluffle when word got out that Japan was going to issue Bridge Over Troubled Water's quad mix.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Not pointless Platterpus. Just like your Blu-ray player down mixes 5.1 movies to stereo, it should also down mix the Quad Doors disc to stereo, maybe at a higher resolution than the CDs. Buy it so you don't miss out. You might get a home theatre system later on.

Platterpus and Bill Mac like this.
  21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Quite a few differ from the LP versions.

Light My Fire - mono mix edited
    Love Me Two Times - mono mix edited
    The Unknown Soldier - unique mono mix
    We Could Be So Good Together - unique mono mix
    Touch Me - unique stereo mix
    Wishful Sinful - unique stereo mix
    You Make Me Real - unique mono mix
    Roadhouse Blues - unique mono mix
    Love Her Madly - fades early
    Riders On The Storm - edited
    Changeling - edited
    Tightrope Ride - unique stereo mix and edited
    Ships W/ Sails - edited
    The Mosquito - mono mix [fold down assumed] and edited
    The Piano Bird - edited
    Roadhouse Blues [Live] - edited
    Gloria - edited
    Hello, I Love You - promo mono mix
    Touch Me - promo mono mix
    Wishful Sinful - promo mono mix
    Tell All The People - promo mono mix

Plus the non-LP b-sides: Who Scared You, (You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further, Treetrunk, and Albinoni: Adagio. Some of the b-sides appear on other compilations but here you get them all.

d.s.l., Maffune, Hep Alien and 13 others like this.
  22. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for your info as well. I'll keep the Blu Ray in mind.

kronning likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Great analysis!

ascot likes this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Roadhouse Blues is technically more than just an edit. The announcer is mixed out completely. And the Adagio seems to be Feast Of Friends under a different name. And of course, Tell All The People is longer on the single. Otherwise, GREAT analysis. This, and not that other list, looks to be correct!

At this point, I think the only thing they could have done to make this set better would have been to include the mono single mix of Riders On The Storm from the 2011 single.

Hep Alien, duggan, lovemygirl and 2 others like this.
  25. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Also, "Do It" is a slightly edited version, deleting that little "spoken" (by whoever?) intro, and the intro/countdown for "Good Rockin'" is edited out.

lovemygirl likes this.