Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Third time was sort of the charm. The third one arrived with the cardboard sleeve in good condition. Unfortunately disc one had a substantial scratch/scuff but since I hadn't sent the first one back yet I was able to combine discs from each to get a mint set. After all that hassle I suppose I should probably play the darn thing. :) Looking forward to it.

2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Nice review Mike :thumbsup:

Mike Dow likes this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think this was answered earlier but I can't figure out how to find it. Were there any other dedicated mono mix radio versions of Morrison-era tracks that received stereo 45 releases or are the four that we get (HILY, TM, WS and TATP) the only ones?

Thank you thank you thank you. A clear, succinct and comprehensive review of this set, rather than the music, free from personal opinion and waffle. You even included a reference to the Wishful Sinful problem. Great stuff. Well done. This is the first review I have seen that actually reviews the set, rather than bumbling on about Jim Morrison and the songs.

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I got the 2CD set in the mail a few days ago and wanted to wait until I had a good amount of time set aside to listen to it with headphones all the way through. I listened to disc 1 just now. No tracking or skipping problems. EAC tested error free as well. I've got to say this is the best thing I have bought by The Door's since I first started buying their music on cassette back in 1986. The only single I ever heard on the radio was the single edit of Light My Fire and that was a long time ago. I rarely ever see any Door's music on vinyl let alone a 45 rpm in past thrift store hunting. You usually have to pay a little more to get this stuff on vinyl for which I was always content to have it on CD. I've seen for sale, used from time to time, trashed copies of the Touch Me 45 rpm but they were always trashed and worn and even at 50 cents I did not care to buy one unless it played acceptably OK. I knew very little to nothing about the single mixes/edits so there were a few surprises for me while listening to disc 1. The sound is just fabulous and not loudly mastered. Really glad to get the correct single mix for Who Scared You and have that as well as You Need Meat in superb sound quality on CD just like my Weird Scenes... cassette. The sound is clear and fresh sounding on disc 1. The songs from the first album did not jump out as that much different to their stereo counterparts except that they were in mono. But they sounded less distorted than the stereo album versions. Break On Through is so so in mono IMO, but End Of The Night and The Crystal Ship sounded amazing. I did notice some differences between the singles and their album versions mix wise and production wise as well the edits. I was able to pick the edits out from memory. These 45 versions are definitely more punchy compared to the album versions which makes it very enjoyable to listen to as sort of a slightly new listening experience. I'm going to listen to disc 2 and then disc 1 again to pick out the unique single mixes from the album versions. I heard differences but did not do a stop and compare session with the album versions. Yeah, there's no book detailing the info for each track but each is marked as to which is mono or stereo, plus my ears can pick this stuff out now unlike when I was younger a more naive. Plus the amount of material provided makes up for it. My cardboard sleeve came undamaged and is in superb shape. The discs are a mirror perfect shine with no obvious blemishes. Even without the book this set is still awesome and a bargain price for the amount of material present. It surprised me as to how many singles were put out for The Soft Parade album which is not really one of their more notable albums by some fans but I have always loved that album. Myself, unlike many here do not care for the post Morrison albums but I like those two albums and was surprised that so many singles were culled from those 2 albums.

Like the Real Gone Music CD singles sets for Vanilla Fudge and The Electric Prunes plus the singles that Sundazed used to tack on to their CD reissues as bonus tracks really are of interest to me and I would like to see more sets like this in the future for the Strawberry Alarm Clock, Iron Butterfly and The Lemon Pipers and of course Jimi Hendrix and a couple more bands I like.

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

The Real Gone Music singles collection of the (Young) Rascals, Steppenwolf and the Mama's and the Papa's are good as well. This Doors set is great. Love the surround mix and I've never heard it before. I could barely afford stereo much less Quadraphonic back in the day.

Hep Alien, Grant and Platterpus like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

While Im pretty happy with the content, they really could have went some further on the packaging. No ones likes to have to dig cds out of these cardboard slip thingies. So many pictures of this band and they use some weird hand drawn looking thing? And this absolutely should have some sort of booklet.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Back in the mid/late 80s when vinyl was still for sale in music stores, I would see that Best Of The Door's Quad LP for sale new/sealed and cheap (less than $10 IIRC multiple copies too). I should have bought it but I was more of a cassette person at that time:

The Doors - The Best Of The Doors

Dee Zee likes this.
  8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I'm in Ontario, CDN too and received the set on Monday from Amazon.ca. All the right discs and no issues with their playback.

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I've had no playback issues but it seems my computer simply does not want to rip this thing period. Quite a quirky release it seems but again it sure sounds good.

10. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

First Doors purchase for me; i have heard most of the albums, but i was quite interested in having a sort of 'best of' compilation of their work, and this seemed like a good opportunity to get it. Thanks for all the reviews, they convinced me to make the purchase and i'm very happy with it. The mono mixes sound great, i especially love the mono radio version of 'Touch Me'. Haven't played the quad mix yet, but i'm sure it's great as well! :)

11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Finally got to play both CDs and the BD over the past couple days. Definitely glad I picked this up.

No playback or ripping issues for me.

Pats Radio likes this.
  12. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Has anyone heard the MQA version (if it's on Tidal) or purchased the MQA version and compared it to the discs or other available HD version?

As I don't have Tidal, I don't even know if it's streaming, there, and I don't know how long the MQA download has been available, so my question may not have an answer as of yet.

Hi Res Music Downloads | HD Audio Store | Onkyo Music

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ok my bad on this post, there was some honkin' pieces of glue that were the problem, I guess I should look at the discs before I put them in!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

First time I listened to American Prayer with my uncle (right after buying the CD, and it was his first time hearing it in years) we were greeted with some nasty skipping. Found a big red pepper flake on the disc! (The cd player would sometimes wind up in the kitchen, so it's not unfathomable that it got inside. But still very unexpected surprise.)

Hep Alien and bmoregnr like this.
  15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I got the 2-CD version of this, and thought the first CD was absolutely terrific. Sounds great as well. I am not a Doors' completist, but most of the hits were covered and some other interesting songs. Not very familiar with the Doors track-by-track, but I think about every song I like is represented but Peace Frog (and I really like that song). If Peace Frog was on one of the two discs (it isn't), I could dump the crummy "Best of" 1 volume CD I have. But I can't!

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You can't have Peace Frog without Blue Sunday!

17. revolution_vanderbilt

On the radio, Q104.3, they'd always play Peace Frog on its own. But you'd think on "two for Tuesdays" they'd let Blue Sunday play. Nope.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I can.

Soundslave and rnranimal like this.
  19. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

My set arrived from Amazon on Friday. Just now I was able to open it up and start to listen. The cardboard sleeve is in good condition, and none of the discs appear to be scratched. I listened to Break on Through and there was no skip.

I thought I was in the clear, but then there was a skip in End of the Night between 1:30 and 2 minutes. I need to relisten to the song and see if it happens again. I had only heard of the issues on Break on Through.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Peace Frog on the radio? In what solar system?

David del Toro likes this.
  21. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I have heard Peace Frog played on 96.7 or 93.1 in Chicago.

avp2029 and tribby2001 like this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, they play PF on NY radio, Blue Sunday intro gets faded- as I recall.

avp2029 and Hep Alien like this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

Peace Frog gets played about as much as any Doors hit here in NYC.

avp2029 and Hep Alien like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

Yup. When I saw Robby and Ray, and then later on Robby, play it, they didn't go into Blue Sunday, but at least they gave it an actual ending.

Of course, I'd love to see Blue Sunday live. I'd also love Queen Of The Highway, which I don't think was ever performed, even post-Morrison.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I spoke of the first disc. I wasn't sure what to expect of the second disc, and it is not to my liking. They could have had a live long-drawn out version of Peace Frog, complete with a drum solo.