Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Thanks for the reply.
    Damn, how'd I miss this one? Very expensive now.

2. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

AL for RSD on midnight-blue vinyl if you haven’t heard. Limited To 4,800 units.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

There's some great stuff on there! Jimbo cusses like a sailor, too!

Pats Radio and bluesbro like this.
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I love Backstage and Dangerous. Can’t imagine my Doors collection without it

5. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

I love Backstage and Dangerous too. It has the definitive pro-recorded version of "I Will Never Be Untrue" which is an underrated gem. "Gloria" is superb even with Ray's keyboard flub at the end. "Cars Hiss" and "Mental Floss" are also interesting.

Note that the tape runs somewhat slow on some parts of The Aquarius material. The 8 track recorders Botnick used back in 1969 didn't run at a consistent speed due to the motor in the machine not compensating for tape drag.

Hep Alien and Pats Radio like this.
  6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Go to YouTube and listen to "Build Me A Woman" from this album. :eek:

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I've made my own single disc of just the music from "Backstage and Dangerous" The intros and chatter get boring. Amazing CD set though. If you ever get the chance, grab it!

Hep Alien and jsayers like this.
  9. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I wish the vinyl box set had included those four tracks:cry:

10. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I just picked up the 2 CD / 1 Blu version. I'm anxious to open it up and give it a listen. While I do have the albums via the original mixes and the 40th anniversary remixes, I don't have many of their original 45 singles, so some of these may be a surprise.

I also see an anniversary edition of the Strange Days album is apparently up for pre-order as well.

11. Don't get too excited: it's just the remastered (fourth time around) stereo CD with the mono CD (previously remastered for LP). No Matrix tracks or other goodies!

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  12. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Some of the singles sound quite different from their album counterparts that if you are familiar with the albums takes some time to get used to. It has to be one of the best doors releases in years. Seems to me for every project they get right there are 3 or four that are flawed

13. Can you give an example or two? I'm still on the fence about this release. I have all the studio material already but the songs I've heard so far from The Singles weren't substantially different bar the normal stereo v mono issues.

14. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Earlier in the thread is a list of differences be it edits or remix balances etc

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  15. If I Can Dream_23

Yeah, I like having all the alternate mixes of released songs. In some cases, (Light My Fire), I far prefer the long version, but I still like having all the official options, just for collecting sake. And some of the other unique single mixes I'm not even familar with.

16. If I Can Dream_23

Yeah, I just checked out the description and it doesn't look like anything too elaborate. I still may end up getting it though. After all, I don't have that mono version on CD. I've been picking up all the other mixes on CD so why stop now! :)

Bubba Zanetti and SteveM like this.
  17. Pats Radio

Does that mean you wanted more matrix tracks on Days set?

18. No, but I wouldn't mind a consistent release policy that doesn't put out a "Deluxe" debut with a teaser of Matrix tracks, followed by Strange Days that doesn't. We all wanted a complete Matrix; we got a useless re-release of the debut instead. For those who "have to buy" everything their shelves will now be uneven when they pick up Strange Days as it won't match the debut and doubtlessly won't be followed by a 50th Anniversary of the remaining albums. Why can't the Doors' management have a consistent plan of archival releases targeted at the hardcore fan-base instead of this drip-feeding, erratic nonsense?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Pats Radio

Management isn't looking (I'm guessing) into putting out a release solely because it will "match" they others on the book shelf. There's a lot more to it than that. That's what a box set is for. Now, if you go back and read, people were ripping they put out matrix tracks on deluxe set. I get people want the whole thing. I get that. Count me in too. Then they were ripping they put out a LP for Fog set. So here you got strictly a stereo and mono CD release and now people wanted something else. Clearly, you can't please everybody but it would be nice if the fans would stay consistent.

Sidebar: Are you telling me the band shouldn't have put out a 50th anniversary release of their legendary debut album? You must be joking.

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Not as was no I did not order because it offered vinyl and CD together a flawed (i.e incomplete) copy of the matrix tapes.
    What they could have done is dropped the vinyl added a blue ray and included both mono and stereo mixes in Hi Rez. digital and thrown in the 5.1 and bonus tracks much like the cream 50 th anniversary box. Which also featured a vinyl only complimentary release.

So no I did not buy that but will be buying my least favourite doors album again Strange days because price point is good and no vinyl.

Maybe it's just me though :)

Six Bachelors likes this.
  21. Yes, I am and no, I'm not! The Doors' albums have been reissued more times than I've eaten. They did not need to release an album that has been a) in print for 50 years and b) reissued / revised / remastered many many times already. If the album had been out-of-print then, yes, they should have reissued it but let's be honest, with The Doors reissues are a joke now. I hadn't mentioned all the box sets re-packaging either.

To celebrate their 50th Anniversary under those circumstances all they needed to do was release properly for the first time ever, from the original master tapes, the complete Matrix set, one of their best ever live performances and, well....it's from 1967! What a crazy missed opportunity if ever there was one!

22. Pats Radio

Ok fair enough, but let's face it, the matrix shows are mostly for the die hards not main street. And main street is what pays the bills not the die hard nuts sadly enough. Your point is valid, I understand.

Bubba Zanetti and SteveM like this.
  23. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

A brand new BB remaster! hope it will be good as the AQ1 remaster

Pats Radio likes this.
  24. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

as far as i know the Velvet Underground Matrix Tapes sold very good

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It’s not the fans’ responsibility to be consistent (or anything else.) If products are good, fairly priced and marketed well, it’s likely that more fans will buy them. If not, it’s unlikely they will.

I think both 50th sets are massive disappointments and are not what they should have been. One inference from management deciding to configure the Days 50th differently is that the first set underperformed because of being overpriced and bloated without any outtakes, amongst other things. The second set is going to be cheaper but it still doesn’t come anywhere near being an adequate celebration of one of the best albums of that decade.

I can’t see how many people will be satisfied with these sets. Kids don’t want expensive box sets with the same album repeated two or three times. Neither do hardcores who have purchased the albums over and over again across multiple formats.

Stop criticising fans for choosing not to buy something. If it is prepared, priced and marketed well, we won’t be able to resist buying it.

murch, anastasios, SteveM and 2 others like this.