Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. We're splitting hairs here but yes, if not better, certainly the equal. I'm not going to do a shoot out between my AP 45's and the new CD's as there are far too many other technical gremlins in the equation for it to be a any meaningful comparison, suffice to say my go-to 'digital' will be the 2017 remasters (I'm changing my view on the debut mono too as I'm leaning towards the more focused, centred, punchy mix, distortion and all) and the AP 45rpm's for the vinyl experience. Both are pretty stunning presentations and actually belie the media they are printed on.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    agundy, Tommyboy and Encuentro like this.
  2. A first generation 'safety copy'. Apart from arguably a little more tape hiss than none of us over 40 will be able to detect above the norm, there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't sound identical to the master?

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Something sounded off to me about it when I compared it to the DCC and HDtracks collection. I was 35 when I first heard it, though, so maybe that's why. :D

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    anastasios and SteveM like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks. Got a replacement copy eventually. This time it had the Blu-Ray. It does sound rather nice. This whole release does actually.

Dan Steele, SteelyNJ and SteveM like this.
  5. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Well I'll be!
    You learn something new every day!

Thanks for this.

anastasios, Tommyboy and rnranimal like this.
  6. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I bought a Doors Singles Box set from CD japan a while back. I see no reason to duplicate that purchase.

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There are more single mixes here (like Roadhouse Blues/You Make Me Real, along with the mono radio mixes) and the sound is much better.

stereoptic, agundy, Shawn and 8 others like this.
  8. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

And all on 2 discs...

pool_of_tears and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. white wolf

The fact of it is, I will just wait and pick up a used copy for lot less than Amazon sells it for.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I ordered the CD/Blu-ray set yesterday. I completely forgot about this set until I saw this thread. Looking forward to it.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

12. white wolf

I buy a LOT of CDs at thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, etc. I was thinking about it, and there are always
    plenty of DOORS Greatest hits which are 2 CD sets. They don't have a very big catalog either. It's..what ??? 6 LPs before Morison died. Either they are pressing too many copies, or people are buying the CDs and ripping them. I hit the discount stores often enough, that I know what is common and what is HTF. The doors are a common band. I've been paying$.64 to $1 for used CDs. That Doors singles set will follow in the footstep of most CDs. I do have all 6 of the doors studio albums, The Japan mono singles box, and some of the original
    US singles in picture sleeves. I did needledrops of The Unknown Soldier and Light My Fire (original short edit)

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if a lot of copies aren't sold the used price will never be that lot for anything

14. murch

murch Forum Resident

Overall yes, I agree with you, the sound quality is better, but certain tracks like the "touch me" single have better eq'ing on the Japan set.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Understood. I buy a lot of CDs, DVD-As and SACDs used as well at great prices. But when something new comes out like The Singles set chance are the prices won't hit that $1 number anytime soon. Of course you could get lucky and find a set at that price. The other factor is how important is it to have this set in your collection. If it doesn't matter than it would be no problem to wait for a bargain. But with some titles that go out of print quickly the prices go up from the original cost. So in cases like that you end up paying more for titles you could have bought for much less.

16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think an issue with this one is that it wasn't widely marketed (as far as I could see) as containing unique material (that is, unique mixes and/or edits) that mostly haven't been released digitally before. I suspect a lot of people thought it was yet another greatest hits (which it is in a way, but not in the way all the previous ones have been). If my suspicion is correct and it cost the organisation sales, then the organisation only has itself to blame.

17. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Organization. And sales have been very good.

Flynbryan likes this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

@white wolf is obviously happy with his approach. People often get things I paid full price for at a lower price; occasionally the good fortune goes the other way. Generally, though, the stuff I pay full price for is the stuff I feel that I need right now and the stuff I get cheap (such as the Springsteen Ties That Bind set) I didn't want that much in the first place. Capitalism works by selling at a premium the stuff that sells itself and as a bargain the stuff that people need to be persuaded to buy.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

No way you’ll find this at Goodwill anytime in the next couple years. Highly unlikely

agundy, Matthew Tate and Bill Mac like this.
  20. white wolf

Goodwill is not the only place I find things. There are also Yard Sales, Flea Markets, Salvation Army. and more.

21. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just listened to the Blu-ray quad mix again today. Outstanding.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Let me rephrase. You probably have a better chance at hitting the lottery.
    People who actually bought this release bought it to keep it.

It’s $12 dollars! Just buy it!

Grant, Tommyboy, Shawn and 9 others like this.
  23. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said.

GerryO, Matthew Tate and aoxomoxoa like this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well speaking personally, the 2nd disc would be a coaster if it wasn't for the live "Roadhouse Blues" and "Gloria".

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Tightrope Ride rocks! Robby’s guitar work in that song is phenomenal! I’m glad The Doors chose a hard rocking song to pay tribute to Jim.