Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep and the mix is quite different from the LP mix - at least it seemed so to me. I had always thought it was just an edit.

2. No, it's a radically different mix and if I had to guess why I'd say that they were trying to disguise the lack of obvious vocal talent once Jim had departed, especially with regard to singles getting radio play. You'll notice how distant and quiet (not so 'in your face') Ray's vocals are on each of the singles mixes when compared to the LP versions. I don't think that's an accidental choice.

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Those who live in glass houses, etc.

4. Six Bachelors

I think the single version does it’s job well (insofar as I can conclude that forty-six and a half years later). The LP version is for me a bit repetitive. The shorter length cuts out some of the unnecessary bits (or feels like it does) and the mix makes it a bit more engaging, somehow. I really don’t mind Ray’s vocals most of the time but they are a bit naked on the LP version and that exposes his tendency to shoot and over-emote.

5. Six Bachelors

"shoot" was meant to be "shout" but "shoot" is accurate too!

6. LOL! I actually read it as "shout" anyway (I knew what you meant) but, yes, "shoot" fits!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  7. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

As has been noted by others, I just noticed this past weekend the same skip when played in my car CD player. But did not notice it in my car CD player back in September. It did not skip on my home system back then, and does not skip on my PC now. The 2-CD + blu-ray set...

marklamb likes this.
  8. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Is there a post somewhere in this thread that succinctly summarizes, track-by-track, the contents of this set in regard to mono vs. stereo, remixes (if applicable), mistakes (any tracks which aren't actually the single versions), etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Penny24, Chris M, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  9. Six Bachelors

Probably not a single post containing all of that info...

...but I can tell you in single post about the mistake(s) - Wishful Sinful is not presented in its original stereo single mix. It is presented in an vintage, previously unreleased stereo mix. This alternate stereo mix was used here by mistake.

10. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I love this compilation. Its great to get all the single mixes and a lot of mostly ignored post Jim singles mixes too in one place Plus the sound is great for the most part. I also love the Quad Blu Ray with one exception. The keyboards on Riders On The Storm are harsh to the point of distortion on the Blu Ray. A shame because the other percussion being more evident on the Quad mix is really cool but I cant get past how the keyboards trash out on the blu ray. I initially thought something was wrong wrong with my system then I realized its only this track and it borders on unlistenable because of the issues. Anyone else notice this on the Riders On The Storm track on the Blu Ray?

Matthew Tate and Dan Steele like this.
  11. Six Bachelors

It is missing at least two:
    - the Wishful Sinful stereo 45 mix, and
    - the Love Street mono 45 mix.

The first was omitted due to a mistake. I don't think we can be as kind about the second, which was typical blatant Doors-ing: release a so-called comprehensive single set then a while later release on a limited edition 45 a single mix, which they knew that they had when they did the comprehensive singles set but didn't include on the comprehensive singles set, thereby rendering the comprehensive singles set even less comprehensive and trying to make people buy a limited edition 45 which they needn't have if that single mix had just been included on the comprehensive singles set.

12. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

13. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The point of the Singles set was to present the U.S. singles as commercially released.
    You did get the correct version of "Wishful Sinful" yes?

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

I'm still loving this release :righton:

Flynbryan, CybrKhatru and Kubricker like this.
  15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Me too!

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  16. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Some of the singles' versions were an improvement, but so many times I'll notice a part deleted, a crucial part in my opinion, and I'll say to myself, "They cut that great (keyboard or guitar) part just to save a couple of seconds!" "Ships w/ Sails" is a disaster. Why even release it on 45 if they were going to gut it so badly? On "The Mosquito" they cut one of Robby's best guitar solos - ever!

agundy and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Six Bachelors

I know what the point of the set was. As good as the set is and as much as I have enjoyed it, it doesn't include all the US singles as commercially released - i.e. the stereo 45 mix of Wishful Sinful is not included. A vintage, unused and previously unreleased stereo mix was included instead, by mistake.

To answer your question, though, I did ultimately get the correct version of Wishful Sinful. I shared it with a few people.

18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just played 5.1 QUAD mix of Riders this morning and the keyboards in the left front channel do not have distortion on my rig. This QUAD mix in general is one of the best I’ve heard from a vintage band. Love it.

kees1954, marklamb and Six Bachelors like this.
  19. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

And what was point of cutting Robby's solo in half on Moonlight Drive?

Pierino likes this.
  20. Six Bachelors

I agree that it is jarring hearing it without the solo, especially when the guitar solos especially on that album are so brilliantly concise and interesting.

I think it was a good idea as far as making the overall track even more concise as a 45 side. It really gets to the point. Same with the Love Me Two Times edit.

One of their best 45s, surely.

21. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I love the LMTT edit but shaving a couple of seconds off of MD doesn’t make much sense. ...different times I guess. The goal seemed to be to keep 45s as short as possible. And people say WE have short attention spans.

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Talk about shaving a couple of seconds off? On "Tightrope Ride" they spliced a portion of Robby's riff right off the intro to save what, 2-3 seconds? 2-3 seconds! Every time I listen to that single version it sounds like the CD skips! Again, some of these single versions are cool, but they can drive you nuts, too.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I don’t know what it is about this mix but I absolutely love it and it’s the one I return to most.

Hep Alien and Six Bachelors like this.
  24. Six Bachelors

There stereo 45 mix? It wipes the floor with the LP mix. So much more power and focus. It's a graceful song but I think the 45 mix with the centered rhythm section rescues the song from being lightweight and soppy. I feel the same way about Touch Me. I'd love to know why they remixed some of the singles for the LP.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Did they? Isn't it likely the LP tracks were remixed for the singles?