Doug Sahm,Johnny Cash,Bob Dylan-3 great americana artists

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Following the thread covering great americana bands here are 3 suggestions of great americana individual artists
    Doug Sahm-Very neglected these days but imo the most diverse rockartists ever. Country, blues, texmex, soul, rock, phsycedelia, pop, jazz,folk. He mastered it all, wrote great songs, was an outstanding singer and played a mean guitar. No wonder people like Dylan and Jerry Wexler admired him
    Johnny Cash- not much to say. The original americana master that covered most every american music style and didn t stay away from controversial subjects
    Bob Dylan- Friend and admirer of the other two and -has covered most american music paths one can think of

There are many more but these three are among the-if not the very best. More suggestions ?

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

John Hiatt

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

aside from being a great musician, doug sahm was a great guy. he was a regular at the lone star cafe, lone star roadhouse and tramps in nyc so we saw him many times either on his own or with the texas tornadoes. he was a huge baseball fan so he got along well with my friend. they'd talk baseball after the shows for hours.

4. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Another vote for Doug,i just discovered his music a few months ago,i just love him.

linclink and HominyRhodes like this.
  5. Bemagnus

What a Discovery- been listening to Doug 45 years and own a huge collection of his music. He certanely was one of a kind. Great musician and artist and a larger than life personality. Unfortunately a bit forgotten outside of Texas and older fans. He should be up there among the truly great ones

Cousin It, linclink and ruben lopez like this.
  6. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

He is, among people who know. :cheers:

Cousin It, linclink and Aggie87 like this.
  7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Doug Sahm, a very talented artist and a true entertainer!

linclink likes this.
  8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

People like Doug Sahm - multi-genre artists - are hard to market in the states.....they usually find more success abroad.

linclink likes this.
  9. Van Dyke Parks
    Woody Guthrie

linclink and Folknik like this.
  10. Bemagnus

Some Doug Sahm recomendations
    Sir Douglas quintet-Complete Mercury recordings. Hip o select Might be expensive but Worth checking out
    Genuine Texas groover- his complete atlantic sessions Rhino records
    Jukebox box music- great eighties album. My cd on Ace
    Hell of a Spell- brilliant blues albumTakoma
    Texas Rockfor country rollers-midseventies maverick. My cd Edsel
    Groovers Paradise- early seventies rock
    Many livealbums. Live Love is a favorite- here he does some amazing soulnumbers Live in Austin and The last great Texasbluesband two other great ones
    Anything with the Texas Tornados ecspecially their first album
    The Return of Wayne Douglas- his last recordings a bona fide country album
    Those might do for a start. Be sure to check out some of Augie Meyers albums as well
    Not to forget - Louie and the lovers produces by Doug in the early seventies. Out on Bear Family and in my book the best rockalbum almost noone has heard.Enjoy

11. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Yeah,i'm catching up as fast as i can,i own most of the records,including a few boots.
    And i've seen the Austin City Limits dvd over 10 times,i just can get enough.Do you have an opinion about the Texas Tornado book?

linclink likes this.
  12. Bemagnus

It s a good read if you are interested in Doug Sahm. By the way I am from Sweden were Doug actually gained some popularity in the eighties. He had a big hit here with Meet me in Stockholm.

13. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

A terrific place to start (or definitely include) with your Doug Sahm is the wonderful Doug Sahm & Band, featuring Dylan, Dr. John, Fathead Newman, David Bromberg, and (for the first time?) Flaco Jiminez. A nifty picture from those '72 sessions:

[​IMG]

And from the cover of the Rolling Stone in 1971. He wasn't always underrated. :)

[​IMG]

If we're talking about some other godz of Texas music, I'd want to throw the fellas who comprise The Flatlanders, who qualify as individuals in my book: Joe Ely (who I first encountered when he was opening for The Clash in 1980! His live album from that show, Live Shots, is a corker), Jimmy Dale Gilmore (he played the bowler named Smokey in The Big Lebowski) and Butch Hancock. A bunch more too, like Lyle Lovett from Lubbock and a raft of them from Austin. That starts to get into alt-country, which I think has a fuzzy overlap here, but quite a few of these are every bit as much tied into folk and other classically, broadly American forms as well.

The single Americana artist that feels most overlooked to me, that I most wish more people knew, is John Doe. Even his punk band X had a strong Americana component, and bandmate Dave Alvin, both solo and with his group The Blasters, also did some terrific Americana/roots rock stuff. But John Doe is the man for me. Pretty much every solo album has been a winner, and I can't recommend him highly enough to fans of the other folks on this thread.

Bananas&blow, linclink, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  14. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

when talking doug, you have to mention the west side sound rolls around album---great live release---also check on of the reissues (norton has one) of his 50s singles when he was a teenager---he was on about a zillion labels over the years--truly the embodiment of texas music---he covered it all....

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I'm basically a Bob Dylan "completest," have a sizable collection of his recordings, and I've seen him live more than half a dozen times since 1974. And he's also led me to many other "Americana" artists, from Charley Patton and Hank Williams, to Buddy Holly, Clarence Ashley and many more.

I will always regret not ever seeing Johnny Cash in concert when I had the chance. Who doesn't like him? You'd have to be a soulless dullard with a tin ear.

I had the privilege of seeing Doug Sahm, Augie Meyers, Flaco Jiminez and Freddy Fender -- the Texas Tornadoes -- one time at Fitzgerald's, a club outside of Chicago. What can I say? They tore the place up. To hear She's About A Mover and San Antone, along with Freddy's Before The Next Teardrop Falls and Wasted Days and Wasted Nights was...awesome.

The OP picked three great figures to represent "Americana."

16. Bemagnus

The number of labels Doug recorded for is one of the difficulties in collecting his stuff. I had a decent collection of lp-s singles and stuff but quit vinyl alltogether some 25 years ago. Since then I have built a sizable collection of cd-s, From anthologies covering his first rockn roll years to more recent compilations and lot s of stuff inbetween Lot s of it now rare and very hard to find . There has been some major releases like the Hip o selects complete Mercury box or Rhinos Atlantic collection, but mostly on smaller labels . Doug Sahms legacy really begs for at least one probably more crosslabel box sets. Don t see it happen though and since I have so much stuff-no issue for me. But seeing lot s of second or even third rate artists getting this treatment it makes me kind of frustrated that one if the true giants is neglected. Of course Doug is partly to blame with his laizess fare attitude towards his career. He deseves to be more than an obscure cult heroe in my opnion.By the way I find his At the crossroads to be one of the greatest recordings ever and the lyrics says a lot about Doug"you can t live in Texas if you haven t got Lots of soul". Jawdropping vocals and Doug sure had lot s of soul.

linclink and HominyRhodes like this.
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I need to check that one out. Louie Ortega is a great guy - met him a couple of years ago at a Tornados show, and he was as nice as could be.

linclink likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

It s a great album. Including the released album and one unreleased. Imo one of the best kept secrets in the history if rock

linclink and Aggie87 like this.
  19. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I LOVE that record.

linclink likes this.
  20. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Where is the best place to start with Doug Sahm?

Here's a popular song by the great Aussie band You Am I named 'Doug Sahm'

linclink likes this.
  21. Bemagnus

Great to see that I was not the only one

linclink likes this.
  22. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

re: AUGIE MEYERS (of the Sir Douglas Quintet & Texas Tornadoes)
    "Augie's my man. He's like an intellectual who goes fishing using bookworms. Seriously though, he's the shining example of a musician, Vox player or otherwise, who can break the code. His playing speaks volumes. Speaks in tongue actually. He can bring a song, certainly any one of mine, into the real world. I've loved his playing going all the way back to the Sir Doug days when he was featured and dominant. What makes him so great is that internally speaking, he's the master of syncopation and timing. And this is something that cannot be taught. If you need someone to get you through the shipping lanes and there's no detours, Augie will get you right straight through….Augie's your man."
    Bob Dylan
    http://www.realphonic.com/

SAN FRANCISCO 1965
    REPORTER: Are there any young folksingers you would recommend that we hear?
    BOB DYLAN: "I'm glad you asked that. Oh, yeah, there's the Sir Douglas Quintet, I think are probably the best that are going to have a chance of reaching the commercial airways. They already have with a couple of songs."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-gives-press-conference-in-san-francisco-19671214

GerryO and linclink like this.
  23. Bemagnus

24. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Here is an interesting version of Bob Dylan performing the Dwight Yoakam hit 'The Heart That You Own.'

25. Nesbitt Bireley

Nesbitt Bireley New Member

Doug Sahm. Period. End of story. He was the quintessential Americana artist whose music touched rock, country, blues, jazz, folk, Tex-Mex and more. A vastly under-rated artist who never got his due.

Texas T, GerryO, linclink and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.