Dr Who season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fishcane, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer Thread Starter

Didn't see a thread about this....

Looks to be an interesting year with all the peeks and info we've gotten, starts tonight!

And BBC Breakfast with Baker, like old PBS sundays here in the US! Hope they stick with that

2. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Jenna Colemans last season as well.

3. fishcane

yeah, thats what I meant by "peeks" Claras' departure, Rivers' return, etc....

4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Damn! I wish I'd not watched tonight's series opener. Should have waited till next week's had taped and seen them together. I HATE cliffhanger endings.

fishcane likes this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

You saw it already????

BTW- the show used to be a serial - it's traditionally got cliffhangers.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. Andy Smith

Yep, been with it since day one. Yep, I AM that old. Always hated the cliffhangers.

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Good. (and it's about time!)

8. davenav

Loved the first episode!

9. davenav

Interesting.

The thing that initially attracted me to the show in the '70's (yes, I'm that old too!) was that it was a serial.

Well, be forewarned - this season is almost exclusively two-parters.

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Can't wait! I have to say I'm quite sad that Coleman is leaving, I've really enjoyed her tenure with the show.

chacha likes this.
  11. fishcane

very good episode! had me gripped from the start, and when the kid called out his name, the hair on my neck stood up!

seed_drill likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Mild spoilers.

The usual Moffat stuff - liberally stealing from pop culture with a heavy dose of ham. The opening felt like a fan edit of Star Wars followed up by Mad Max Fury Road-esque geetar-man (though I liked the Pretty Woman riff when he saw Clara). Basically too much fluff, but at least Davros played it pretty straight which was good to see.

DreadPikathulhu, fishcane and GMDuss like this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I would have thought getting blasted at the end of her last appearance should have at least warranted a new regeneration (and actor) for The Master. Oh well.

Deesky and fishcane like this.
  14. progrocker71

It's very entertaining ham...

A nice start to what will hopefully be a fun season. Going to enjoy the Doctor/Clara chemistry while it lasts.

davenav likes this.
  15. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

We were a season behind. My wife just didn't warm to the new doctor when season 8 came out. Last week, we decided to catch up. Watched the seAson 8 finale this morning and have to say, it was great.

Looking forward to starting the new season tonight.

davenav likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

One scene caught my eye between Clara and Missy where Missy lists a series of assertions about the Doctor, one of which is false. An item in that list was that one of the Doctor's previous incarnations was a girl. It seemed like a throwaway line and one which seems to be self-evidently false, but I wonder...

There's been speculation in the past that a new Doctor incarnation should be female, but it's never come to pass. This might be Moffat's sly way of planting a seed that the possibility my eventuate, perhaps with the next Doctor. Moffat often does these things with seemingly innocuous comments/symbols early on which later become significant. I'd put money on this one!

fishcane likes this.
  17. progrocker71

I thought the same thing when Missy mentioned it.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I thought the same, but I'm not looking forward to it. It's one of those things that Moffat has added to Time Lord physiology that I don't really like. Though I guess it's no more nonsensical than "regenerating" into an older body!

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, it certainly will be a culture shock of sorts, but that's precisely why they'll do it - you can't buy that kind of publicity. It can work with the right actress (actually, I can easily imagine Jenna Coleman playing the part). I guess we'll then have hunky male companions! :)

20. Andy Smith

The Daily Mail this morning has savaged the series opener. Absolutely panned it. Gave it a one-star review. Unnecessarily harsh!

21. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Although not unproblematic, I thought that was the most entertaining Moffat script since he took over.

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Although not unproblematic, I thought that was the most entertaining Moffat script since he took over.

davenav likes this.
  23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

24. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

It seems at odds with what we know of the Doctor's history - the first Doctor, played by William Hartnell, was his first incarnation (he was also previously shown as young boy in last year's episode Listen), and all his incarnations have been accounted for up to Peter Capaldi's version; so unless there's another "hidden" Doctor (like the Time War Doctor), this may be another Steven Moffat tease.

25. Andy Smith

Ditto chum. It's Missy, messing with our heads. However, will there ever be a female Doctor? Of course. Should there be a female Doctor? In my view, no. The Doctor is male. End of. It's like saying "Should there be a female James Bond?" However, sooner or later somebody will be brave enough to say "The show's become stale again. Let's kick it up the ****...".

seed_drill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.