Dr Who season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fishcane, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Torchwood was created by Davies so he was pretty confined by what he was given. The whole show was a pretty bad idea, but countrycide was probably the best episode of the first season and he wrote that. I also think that Broadchurch is amazing and kind of fun to see so many Doctor Who alumni in one place.

Haristar likes this.
  2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Ahem. Once again - Cyberwoman. I'll never be able to unsee it. Countrycide was another that was like a sharp stick in eye.

Admittedly, Broadchurch was very good. But, I think Science Fiction is not his strong suit - to say the least.

3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

RTD wrote Love and Monsters, and as Isaac K said, Chibnall was pretty restricted with what he could do. It isn't as if Torchwood was the greatest show anyway and only really had a handful of gems and the entirety of Children of Earth to speak for it.

Also, who's to say that Chibnall will write almost half the series like RTD and Moffat usually did? He might decide to take a backseat and only write the most important episodes, albeit overseeing the entire series to maintain his vision for the show.

4. davenav

Firstly, I love L&M, so that point falls on deaf ears.

Children Of Earth shows how good Torchwood could have been, if RTD had more time for it, and what it could have been like if Chibnall had upped his game.

Countryside struck me as a faux X-Files script, with almost zero science fiction content, dusted off and the character names changed. He just had no clue what to do with the premise of the show.

Which is why I'm filled with inertia over his announcement. His previous Doctor Who episodes are nothing to write home about either - with Cold Blood/Hungry Earth being actually offensively bad.

5. Haristar

"42" was critically praised when it first aired.

6. davenav

I liked that one.

But, it doesn't help me unsee Cyberwoman.

Bottom line - he doesn't have any Girl In The Fireplace's, or Blink's in his sci-Fi resume. And his bad episodes are among the worst of the modern era.

I can only say that I'm not filled with optimism by his spotty-at-best record.

7. Haristar

Even RTD doesn't have Girl in the Fireplace's or Blink's in his resume...

Isaac K. likes this.
  8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

RTD was a fair to middling writer that was propped up by far more talented people. Moffat is a fantastic writer that is often accused of being a terrible show runner (but not by me). Chibnall is the head writer AND the executive producer of Broadchurch and its highly successful. I don't think the record clearly shows a direct correlation between excellent script writing talent and show running ability.

davenav and Haristar like this.
  9. davenav

No, but he has some very good episodes - Midnight, Turn Left, and Parting of the Ways come to mind. And, the aforementioned Children Of Earth.

Look, I will be the first to celebrate if Chibnall nails that crucial first story as showrunner. I did like Dinosaurs In A Spaceship...

But... Cyberwoman! Need I say more?

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope. When new information comes to hand, such as this development, then it's the right time start voicing concerns. I'm familiar with this guys prior body of work and it doesn't fill me with confidence, hence my remark.

Moffat's writing record prior to his stint as DrWho head honcho was so much more impressive (Coupling, Jekyll, even Sherlock), and yet most of the episodes under his reign were disappointing, with rare exceptions.

So yeah, I have reservations, m'kay?

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the Dr. Who BBC Christmas special like where its set in 1963.
    Peter Capaldi playing guitar ..beehives, Daleks..and whatnot?

12. So it appears Peter Capaldi is leaving with season 10. What say you about casting a woman or someone like Idris Alba?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

What I think is these various Doc Who threads should be joined to stop the same question being asked repeatedly. Consolidation's the way forward, yes?

14. Andy Smith

15. Andy Smith

All tidied up very neatly. G'bye Bill, g'bye Nardole, g'bye Missy..... You will all be missed.

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not Nardole too!

But, seriously, I'm going to miss Capaldi! GREAT Doctor! Probably my favorite of the new series, thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.