Dr Who season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fishcane, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Probably all part and parcel of the Mail's anti-BBC agenda.

FWIW it got a five-star review in The Times, which absolutely loved it!

davenav likes this.
  2. That's what I said several minutes into it: "I thought we were watching Doctor Who, this looks like Star Wars.

The main thing that did it was the cantina scene :whistle:

But, when it was revealed he was trying to help Davros, I thought that was a good development.

seed_drill and davenav like this.
  3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Bond is human, The Doctor is an alien. They don't have to have the same physical properties.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer Thread Starter

Not unlike several recent instances where Clara has "played" Doctor in his absence, he is slowly introducing the idea..

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think it would make more sense to have a female Master if she were still a bodysnatcher, like Anthony Ainley's Master was.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That may be the case. Don't forget that the contemporary Who series came after a long break (from the classic series), so unless the Eccleston doctor was shown to be next incarnation from the last classic Who doctor (I don't recall if this was ever explicitly established despite the numbering system implying it), then there could certainly be room to maneuver. But even if Eccleston was the next one, c'mon, any old s**t can happen in the Who Universe! :)

Or..., even if it is a Moffat tease, it nevertheless serves the purpose of priming us to a future possibility (which is almost certain in my mind).

Yes, that scene certainly, but also space shots of planets and the SW-like dissolves.

I may be misunderstanding you, but isn't Missy already a female Master? And since Missy/Master is also a Time Lord(Lady), there is no reason why the Doctor can't be one in the future.

There is also precedent with gender switching Timelords, eg Corsair - mentioned in previous incarnations at various times.

7. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

It's a popular BBC show, of course The Daily Mail was going to hate it.

zobalob and eddiel like this.
  8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The US TV movie from 1996 showed Sylvester McCoy regenerating into McGann; "The Night of the Doctor" showed McGann regenerating into the War Doctor; "The Day of the Doctor" showed the War Doctor regenerating into Eccleston (although it was obscured by flame and some people dispute that's what was shown).

9. fishcane

10. fishcane

:righton::righton:

The Witch's Familiar

davenav likes this.
  11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Right off the bat, this season is sizzling. The first two episodes are better than all of season 8, combined.

At least in my addled, fanboy mind.

Michelle Gomez & Julien Bleach absolutely excelled in their parts. Capaldi has finally hit his stride, and Jenna's Clara, untethered from her earthly job, is basically the perfect companion.

I'm always surprised by Moffat's writing (sometimes unhappily so, but far more often positively), his twists keep on a-coming, and I love that dark, Scot, deadpan humour of his.

fishcane likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Part 2 was a much better episode than Part 1, in fact, it was very good. Probably because it was character driven had room to breathe and develop. I still don't much care for the Missy character. And I don't get why she acted the way she did when...
    at the end she turned against Dalek-Clara by giving the doctor a blaster and urging him to kill her.

fishcane likes this.
  13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I'm not comfortable with the way the Master is portrayed at all these days. Gomez & Simm just play the character as barking barmy. Moffat's plans centre around 'How crazy can we make him/her this time?'. Ainley & Delgado's versions were just your basic run of the mill one-dimensional megalomaniacs, but with purpose. Made them more sinister and therefore more realistic. Which, as I'm saying it, sounds ridiculous when talking about Dr Who, but you get my drift.

seed_drill likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm not really comfortable with the Doctor being all chummy-chummy with his greatest nemesises. Like they're Grant and Lee rather than Churchill and Hitler, if you get my analogy. I mean I know he and the Master have a history beyond The Mater's madness (something else they cheapened by explaining two seasons ago, but I digress). But Davros?

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm guessing it's a cross between jealousy of her, now that she's a she, combined with a desire to destroy him, psychologically, by making him kill his pet human.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The Witch's Familiar felt at least in part like a 70s era episode, especially the scenes with the Doctor and Davros together.

I've really enjoyed both of the episodes and look forward to the rest of the season.

"Your sewers are revolting" had me chuckling.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hmmm, maybe, but it doesn't ring true to me. Her previous behavior towards Clara, whilst dismissive and snarky, didn't appear malicious. I guess you could say that that was her plan all along, but it just didn't feel that way to me. I'll see what the interwebs say, if anything. Anyhow, thanks for your take.

(It's times like this when the spoiler tags don't help the conversation!)

18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well I thought it was very masterish ! remember the master did turn people to dolls for fun.

19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I don't think Missy's intentions are ever anything resembling "good". Remember the first episode where she started blithely zapping the snipers that protected Clara? While she's good at giving the impression that she's shifting allegiances I don't think she's ever veering off her nefarious path. She saved Clara from the Dalek because she knew Clara would be a good pawn to use.

At least that's the way I see it.

Deesky likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some spoilers...

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I agree. The scene where Clara first goes into the Dalek and Missy keeps asking her to say things dealing with compassion/love/empathy etc and it comes out totally different in Dalek voice, is like a test run to ensure that she won't be able to identify herself to the Doctor at crunch time. So in fact, it was well done.

I guess my memory of the Master from the classic series has dimmed and I never really took the Simm version seriously (he was less than a cartoon character) and anything he did was eyerollworthy.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep 3 - bleh. They really need to stop outsourcing the technical plot details to Deepak Chopra!

seed_drill likes this.
  22. Andy Smith

I enjoyed it. Quite creepy and claustrophobic. And again, some marvellous dialogue. Loved the Peter Andre quip.

23. Just a quick quip regarding episode 2, referring to some of first stories featuring The Master - from the old original series, specifically back in 1971 - one reviewer said "The Master seems to switch to whichever side is having more fun at the time!"

24. Andy Smith

So, he said cautiously, approaching the topic with the utmost delicacy, are you agreeing that the Master's natural default setting should be female as 'she' swops and changes her mind every two minutes?

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Don't answer that! I don't want to moderate it. Sheesh! I would hate to see the indelicate version. ;)

Andy Smith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.