Dr Who season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fishcane, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I thought the same about the Thelma & Louise reference.

Let's see. Last week's episode had a little bit of The Maze Runner, Rocky II, MacBeth and Hamlet. This week's episode had a little bit of The Matrix, Superman II (reversing the polarity) and Thelma & Louise.

Gonna miss Clara. It took awhile, but she eventually became my second favorite companion since the new series began. Still like Amy the best, but Clara passed up Rose as second favorite. Capaldi's Doctor is my second favorite Doctor since the new series began (still like Tennant's Doctor better, but that could change in the future.)

Looking forward to River Song's return in the Christmas Special.

Apparently Matt Smith and David Tennant weren't too happy about River's return to Doctor Who with Capaldi's Doctor:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...is-returning-to-doctor-who-with-peter-capaldi

zobalob likes this.
  2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Funny! I love the flirtatious River Song. Easily the best character they've introduced in years. They shouldn't - and don't - overused her, that's the thing. Every appearance feels fresh.

I enjoyed the associated link about Moffat's future too. Still got a gut feeling that the next series will be his last.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...ame-the-next-companion-and-leaving-doctor-who

zobalob likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Surely it wasn't just his mind, The Doctor was there for four and a half billion years, it's not like his body was somewhere else regardless of the mechanics of the confession dial, for him it was reality.

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think Sleep No More was the worst episode I have ever seen! it did not make sense !

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That was mostly disappointing. The first half was okay, despite the ultimate pointlessness of the Gallifrey scenes which were used only to magically resurrect Clara. Still the Gallifrey cinematography looked splendid (if lifted from Mad Max Fury Road).

I thought Jenna Coleman put in a breathtaking performance that even attracted a dust mote to my eye! The emotional notes of the episode were easily the strongest parts, much more so than logic and plot advancement (what the heck happened in the last third of the ep?).

Seems these days we can't turnover a companion unless it's dragged out over multiple episodes with overly long goodbyes. In the old days, a dead companion might be worth a sentence or two in the next episode!

Speaking of old days, it was a kick to see the old Tardis interior again and the return of the 'classic' screwdriver.

Building from previous hints, Moffat either (re)signaled or trolled expectations that the next Doctor incarnation will be female. If I had to bet, I'd say it will be, if only to generate renewed show buzz and 'controversy' in geekdom.

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The woman said they "think" he was there for 4.5 billion. I take that to mean from the Doctor's point of view inside the dial. The whole thing could have taken place within the space of a single teleportation. I just have a very difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that everybody on Gallifrey aside from Rassilon treated the Doctor as the greatest war hero of all time, but NOBODY tried to rescue him from that thing for billions of years.

The other thing is that if the dial is meant for the dying then I doubt their physical bodies would be able to endure an experience like that.

7. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

I'm sure it won't be long before there's some fanfic.:agree:

8. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

OK, I had to wait a little bit before writing my take on "Hell Bent" because it's such a dense episode that I had to watch it again. In fact, there's truly a lot going on there and this actually doesn't do much in its favour. I feel it should have been made as a 2-part story (yes, I know this is supposed to be part #2 of "Heaven Sent", but you know what I mean).

This said, even though it took a bit to fully appreciate it, this episode is another brilliant piece of work. I've always love those stories in which the Doctor goes completely mad because we are reminded, once again, that he has a darker side and he can be a hero as much as he can be a villain. The psychological voyage that the Doctor made starting by setting a trap to his own people just to retrieve his long lost friend and finally realizing he went too far was excellent. The ending of the episode was also quite unexpected and the build up was awesome. True, in some way, this episode can be considered a letdown: it's definitely much less cohesive than the masterpiece that "Heaven Sent" was and it completely changes its tone and its premise midway. But hey, I wish all letdowns could be this good. A very worth ending to a great season and, overall, this coupled with "Heaven Sent" make my favorite Doctor Who season finale.

Director Rachel Talalay did a superb job on both this and "Heaven Sent", even better than the top-notch stuff she did on Season 8's finale. Once again, this episode was great also because of the acting. I can't stress enough how much I love Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and him and Jenna were once again at the top of their game. Maisie Williams has been an excellent addition to the cast for this season and, actually, at first I was kind of bummed that she is not going to be the next companion (though I realize that maybe it's better this way as placing her character with the Doctor could have changed it for the worse). This episode also benefited by excellent performances by Donald Sumpter, Ken Bones and Clare Higgins.

Season #9 has been pretty much my favorite one in years. In fact, I'd probably place it just below #4, which remains my favorite, in spite of stuff like the Zygon story (a poorly written story with a decent finale) and "Sleep No More" (a good idea with good characters, nice atmosphere but still somewhat lackluster results). I have great expectations for the next one. Regarding the possibility of the next Doctor being female... well, personally, I am against it as I can't visualize the Doctor as anything else than a male character. But then, again, who knows? With the right actress it could turn out great, so let's say I'm 90% against it and 10% intrigued. It could be worth taking the risk, but it's an extremely BIG one.

I can't wait to see the Christmas Episode, it looks like it's going to be a blast. Nice to have Alex Kingston back!

zobalob likes this.
  9. River Song is one character I do not ever need to see again. She rates just above Jackie Tyler in my book. And that's pretty low.

10. Andy Smith

Re the Xmas episode; I LOVE River Song!!!!

Deesky likes this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. I like her too. But this Christmas special didn't seem very Christmassy. Out of all the recent Christmas specials, this year's seemed the most like a normal episode. Even last year's lame special (the face huggers one) seemed more like Christmas since it had Santa and reindeer. The only reason you knew this year's was a Christmas special is because at the beginning it said it was Christmas, had some carolers and River in a Red Santa suit. And at the end they exchanged gifts. But everything in between (most of the show,) no reference, scenery, etc. that reminded you of Christmas.

My favorite Christmas special is still the Christmas Carol one (even though I don't like Matt Smith that much) with Michael Gambon as the Scrooge-type character.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As usual for an xmas 'special' it was a load of silly tosh, but at least they committed to it so you could take it in stride on that level. I liked the fact that it wasn't cloyingly Christmasy in tone.

However, the best part of the ep was the ending scene with the Doctor and River on the balcony. Nice emotional vulnerability from River. Alex Kingston should really appear more often and be given more meaty dramatic roles (with a sense of humor) rather than purely campy ones.

13. Andy Smith

Just once I'd like to see them bugger off somewhere actually cold, with real snow, for the Xmas productions. Hell, they could even stay in Wales, film there in February and keep it for the next Christmas. Fake snow annoys me like nothing else. Favourite parts were the 'Carol singers will be criticised' notice and his reaction when entering the Tardis. The whole 'It's bigger on the inside...' faux-shock. Lovely acting from Capaldi. A joy.

14. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I didn't like "The Husbands of River Song" as much as I liked "Last Christmas": that one is still my favorite Doctor Who Christmas special ever. This said, I did like it. It was a nice breather from all the drama from the (excellent) last three episodes. Lots of this was actually very funny, Matt Lucas was great. The ending was a nice touch as well: Moffat is convincing whether he is trying to be funny or emotional. I have mixed feelings towards the River Song character. I like her as much as she annoys me, but I enjoyed her here: Alex Kingston is brilliant. I agree with those who say it's not really Christmassy, but no big complaints on my part. A 7.5/10.

Capaldi continues to remain my favorite Doctor!

15. Andy Smith

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Sigh. Never too soon for some people to start bitching, is it?

18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Oh wow, so you've watched Series 11 already? How was it? Is Peter Capaldi still the Doctor?

Isaac K. likes this.
  19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

In the old days, a dead companion was Adrak. Some jumped off at strange locations, some just returned home. I do remember Troughton's companions had their memories wiped before being returned home by the Time Lords. I'd kind of like a return to a, "it's time for me to go" rather than something odd or semi horrible happening to everyone.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't like the gender hopping, myself. But, even worse was how, after the Doctor zapped The General, she is able to resume her duties moments after a regeneration. It always seems to be a big deal for The Doctor. Hmm.

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

A second viewing should take care of that. I was lost the first time as well.

I now consider it a first rate episode, perhaps my favorite of a very strong season.

22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Watch Chibnall's Torchwood run (especially Cyberwoman) and you'll understand the dismay.

23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

No I don't understand the dismay, because Series 11 hasn't aired yet, and Chibnall hasn't even written his scripts yet. And Broadchurch was critically lauded.

24. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Adric

seed_drill likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Should have looked it up, instead of relying on the old faulty memory, given that I have trouble with the names of real people I've "known" for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.