Dreadful warping ELP Tarkus Ltd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

I cant believe that we can still buy unplayable albums!! Yesterday i bought a double ELP Tarkus with 2 sides of remixes. On red Vinyl. Beautiful package etc. BOTH discs are so warped they are unplayable. To take it back to the store would cost me 5 hrs of my time and 24 euros in Toll roads. Sadly it will end up in the bin!!

It seems that maybe i will have to buy all my discs via Amazon. Shame

2. Fishoutofwater

Is there no one out there as sad and annoyed as me today!!! i need some love

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

MOV usually has pretty good quality pressings, but issues can happen. Perhaps you can mail them directly?

c-eling likes this.
  4. Fishoutofwater

My daughter lives in Bordeaux and will talk to the store in the morning. I just cant believe that both disks can be so warped on 180 grm vinyl!!!

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Was this the MOV press?
    I don't hear very many stories of severely warped pressings by them
    I feel for ya, unfortunately everytime I purchase lp's my fingers are crossed, nature of the format...

6. jon9091

Apparently so. I thought it might be a bootleg at first, but I did find it on Discogs...

https://www.discogs.com/Emerson-Lake-Palmer-Tarkus/release/5953464

I would contact MOV.

c-eling likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh man, good luck. The Discogs page says this was limited to 300 pieces. The odds that MOV will have a copy to replace it are very slim.

Maybe someone out there with a Vinyl Flat device could fix it for you?

8. jon9091

The 180 gm weight doesn't do much against warpage I'm afraid. I see more of those warped then I do the lighter records...because they don't let them cool properly.

I have this thing called a VinylFlat. It's essential these days if you buy a lot of records.
    Vinyl Flat Home ยป

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I've had and seen many extremely warped MOV pressings. But that has almost nothing to do with MOV or Record Industry where they press.

Those extreme warps are being caused by storage and manipulation conditions during transportation and in the stores where they are kept and handled in all the wrong ways.

Amazon will definitely not improve your experience.

When you buy locally you always have the option to open the record on the spot and check for obvious flaws, in such cases you can simply return/exchange immediately after buying before leaving the store ;)

A really good store will actually offer to do that for you, check if all looks good before you leave or before shipping.

c-eling likes this.
  10. jon9091

I don't think I've ever had a warped MOV record....out of maybe 30 or so that I've purchased. You must have bad luck, or a bad supplier.

11. SergioRZ

Not bad luck, usual retail stores like everyone else.

Over the years there have been so many reports about warped MOV LP's (and other even worse problems), it's actually a little funny to put it into a "bad luck" context.

Maybe you have been very lucky, or you buy from a store where vinyl is stored and manipulated properly (they do exist), glad for you ;)

Anyway, warps is the least of problems with MOV, as I said it's not even a problem caused by them, but I wish they could do a much better job with the things they actually are the cause for.

12. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I've flattened several records by putting a scrap slab of marble outside in the sun, record on that and plate glass on top of that, and then some weights on the plate glass

13. jon9091

I get them from Amazon. :edthumbs:
    And from a multitude of sellers on Discogs.

14. SergioRZ

Yep, just like me... it's only normal, because as I've said there is no single point source for the warps problem at MOV, it can happen with anyone of the thousands of retailers or "sellers" worldwide.

15. Fishoutofwater

I so wish i had done just that!! It will cost me more than the value of the record to return it!! My daughter who lives in Bordeaux will pop in to the store in the morning and explain the problem nd take it back after she visits me in a few weeks time. I only posted this winge because i have not seen such a warped disc, let alone two, for over 30 yrs.

c-eling and SergioRZ like this.
  16. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I've found the "weather and transportation" related warped discs the easiest to correct

17. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

These LPs could be restored to flat on one of the [expensive] Japanese machines! I got a Stephen Stills Manassas 2LP 'Pieces' pressed at Record Industry (for Rhino) about three years that had similar problems .. both LPs too. They were easily fixed on the the flattening device that I have here. But it is a pain in the neck to get records like that and it makes you despair, at times. I know how you feel and especially the fact that you cannot exchange it very easily.

I got another Record Industry pressed LP yesterday at my local store (K.D. Lang 'Hymns of the 49th Parallel') that was a little bit warped and I had to flatten it last night. It's perfect now but it is a really lightweight pressing, 120 grams at the very most, if even that! I hope this does not signal a return to really lightweight, flimsy LPs. Nonesuch seems to favour lighter vinyl pressings of late. To be fair to Record Industry (MoV), warped records are an exception as most of their output is of very good quality.

www.vinyllpcare.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.