Dreamchild--worth seeking out?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Being an Alice fanatic, I'm curious about this. Looks a little off kilter, too.
    It's not on Netflix, but is this worth finding the dvd on ebay?

2. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

I haven't seen this version (although I own it, it's in the "to watch" pile).

It's in print, you could get a new or used copy (from the MGM MOD collection) from $7.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=8-1&qid=1432306068

Dennis Potter's version of the same story, Alice, is available on the newest DVD of Jonathan Miller's version of Alice in Wonderland. Both these programs were originally produced for the BBC program The Wednesday Play, and the Miller version is just wonderful, my favorite version of the story by far. Gets huge bonus point for restricting itself to just AAiW and doesn't use anything from Through the Looking Glass, as most Alice adaptations do. If you don't have the Miller version, get it now :)

http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Wonderl...TF8&qid=1432306068&sr=8-2&keywords=dreamchild

3. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It's an interesting little film. I recorded my copy from FLIX about 6-7 years ago. I first saw it back in the 80's on HBO.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I saw it when it was in the theater, so it has been a very long time. If I recall correctly, it jumps between a young Alice, a very old one, and elements of the book, with the elderly Alice Liddell realizing that her friend Dodgson desired her.

I honestly don't know if I could wholeheartedly recommend it to a big Alice fan. There is never any hint that he ever acted on his desires, but it acknowledges them.

5. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Well, you have to think back on the time. Older men frequently married much younger females and it was socially acceptable. It was welcome by many families for an older established man to marry their daughter and bring in some money into the family. It's only in the past 50-60 years that that has changed and really in the past 20-30 years that it's become heinous.

zobalob likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Great Jim Henson (I believe) AIW creatures. That was the highlight of the movie for me. I remember the story being pretty good. Pretty simple story, though. Yes, definitely worth seeking out. Ian Holm was suitably creepy/pitful as Lewis Carroll in love with a nymphet.

7. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Wonderful film!

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You say that like it was a bad thing. :hide:

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We saw it mainly because of Ian Holm, an amazing actor. But it is important that a big Alice in Wonderland fan knows that the film deals with the Reverend's desire for the prepubescent Alice. Again, the film doesn't (as far as I can recall) imply that he ever acted on his desire or behaved inappropriately. And yes, those who have desires that cannot be gratified without harming others are deserving of pity, and they should be thanked refraining from acting on them.

zobalob likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

In that case, there are about 18,652 women over the years who owe me a big thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.