Drummer Tommy Lee Says "No One Buys [Complete Albums] Anymore"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wonder what's your opinion on this:

Taken from Eddie Trunk's news section:

2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Drummer Tommy Lee Says "No One Buys [our] [Complete Albums] Anymore"

3. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a good one :D

4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I'd prefer the opinion of someone who doesn't suffer from adult ADD.

5. houston

houston Forum Resident

Tommy has a short attention span, definitely, but he's right, that hardly anyone buys complete albums anymore...and neither do I, in the sense Tommy is relating, 98% of the albums I buy, are older than 20 years; of course, my opinion is that there is very little quality music being offered today, in the "popular" music domain.... and for Motley Crue, I consider myself a major fan, and have none of their albums from the past 20 years

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I am pleased to hear Motley Crue are not making any more records. Time to lay of the drugs Tommy !

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I am pleased to hear Motley Crue are not making any more records. Time to lay of the drums Tommy !

Bada, Boom!

-Bill

8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

...or at its maximum, an EP, four songs, done, boom. I just really feel like the days of the entire record are long gone...I don’t listen to anybody’s full record anymore and when I did, I don’t think I listened to the whole record. I’m sorry, and I don’t care who it is, if it’s The Beatles, I can’t listen to an hour and a half of anybody straight, so I guess that’s just my personal preference.”

I agree totally.

9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

This Coming from someone who did indeed put out an album last year & i think 1st week of sales was something like 1800 sold ?

I love Motley , but they are just a joke now , their live shows are just horrible messes .

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Odd in a way, I guess what he's indirectly saying here is that the Crue (or maybe Lee) can't come up with enough creativity and focus to make 30-40 minutes of compelling, interesting music every 3 to 5 years, but apparently they have enough conviction to have side projects to keep themselves busy in music.

Not for nothing, but you'd think the average Crue fan would even take an EP's worth of music every other year just to see where the band is at, and to keep them relatively active.

11. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

He's right.

90% of the album music market has disappeared.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nobody buys goofy hair metal albums anymore. Poor guy.

13. ksandvik

ksandvik New Member

It was expected when moving to the digital download world. You don't need a package, you could pick-and-choose.

14. As the music market moves entirely to digital downloads, it is inevitable the focus will be on singles again. Just like it was in the early days of Rock'N'Roll. I could easily see many of the pop acts abandoning big albums for singles and EPs. The attention span of the younger generations get shorter and shorter with each year.

15. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I must be no one.:(

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I think this is what a lot of artists should do.

If you're on a roll, write an album. If not, do the three or four songs you got and put them out there digitally. Once you've done that three or four times, compile them onto physical medium and release that.

Ideally, it would prevent filler material from being recorded.

17. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Does Tommy really think albums are 1.5 hours long?

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

He is just stating a fact, look at the numbers. The man is not wrong.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

He's got a point: there was only about 20 seconds of usable footage in that Pam Anderson video.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's all I buy. Not his though.

21. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Don't worry. Me too!! :wave:

22. dBMan

dBMan New Member

I did this for the first time in my life last week. I bought two tracks of an Alanis Morissette album. I have two other of her records in full. But on this one these two songs grabbed me and the rest didn't. So I sort of see what Lee is saying. Downloading has changed the marketplace dramatically. But I still think there'll be a market for complete albums. Fans will usually buy their favorite bands' new albums no matter what. And from an artistic standpoint, most artists want to write more than just "singles" which are meant to appeal to the masses. If all we get are singles, there'll never be any "deep tracks" and that will be a very sad day indeed. Or maybe I'm just too old-school. As I eagerly await the release of the new Yes album...

23. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Give the guy a break, what he really meant to say was that no one buys Motley Crue albums anymore.:winkgrin:

24. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I think the need to do full albums depends on genre.

25. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Never been a fan of Tommy Lee or Motley Crue, but he's absolutely right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.