DSotM: Harvest UK(Japan) Black Label CD versus MFSL UDI

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael St. Clair, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Interesting, Pat. I have the disc shown on page 9 of that thread, with catalog # 7 46001 2, but it has an inner ring # of CP35-3017, so it is likely the Toshiba/EMI master, but a different disc....

Mark

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident Thread Starter

I sold my 'black label' disc years ago. I thought the UDI sounded better. Obviously I'm not alone. Ask 10 different Floyd fans what they think about the relative merits if various DSotM releases, and you'll get 10 different answers.

I do find it interesting that the Japanese version was made from a copy tape, and I certainly found it lacking in detail compared to the UDI.

Ah, but which Japanese version?

This is the black label disc of which I speak. Made in Japan for UK release.

This page lists them all. 1 original USA Capitol, 2 UK EMI/Harvest, and 2 Japan (1 EMI black label, 1 EMI/Toshiba). I'm talking pre-MFSL, pre-box/anniversary reissue. This site seems to attempt to categorize based on country of manufacture, not country of publication.

It is interesting to note that that three of the discs (one from each country) use the same catalog and matrix numbers. For example, the 'Black Label' Harvest uses the same numbers as the regular old US silver Capitol disc of which zillions were made. Really the same disc? Hmmmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.