DTS .wavs burned to CD now only play as stereo, not DTS??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colmanjones, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colmanjones

colmanjones Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been burning DTS CDs using Imgburn without a problem until recently, and now all the discs I burn only play as stereo on my SONY BDP-S370 Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Player, even though they definitely come from DTS 6-channel audio .wav files, as verified by the MediaInfo program, and these files seem no different than other DTS .wav files I have successfully burned to CD (and those discs still play as DTS through my player and system).. playing these files in my computer only produces white noise (which is what I would expect).. so why do they now only play as stereo in my SONY player, not DTS, when I burn them?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

If you put the CD in a regular player, does it come through as static? Perhaps your AVR is set to downmix mode?

3. colmanjones

I am not in front of my gear right now, but I will try putting the CD in a regular player (i.e. not my SONY BDP-370) and see what happens.. I suspect it will play as a regular audio CD, but we'll see.. thanks for the idea!

4. Downmix is my guess. If the files are there it can't be a regular CD.

5. colmanjones

I put the CD I burned back into my PC, and Winamp played it like it was a regular audio CD, even though it was burned with a DTS .wav file file that produces white noise when played on the computer.. when I load that file into Foobar2000, it says it's a PCM codec with a 1411 kbps bit-rate, and plays as white noise, not music - so somehow the DTS .wav file was converted into a regular stereo audio CD during the burn process... how I don't know.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. colmanjones

Oddly when I load that file into Foobar2000, it says it's a PCM codec 2-channel (?) .wav file with a 1411 kbps bit-rate - even though MediaInfo says it's a 6-channel DTS stream - but that is also the case with the DTS files I have already successfully burned to disc that then play in surround, so who knows what's going on?

7. colmanjones

And to add even more mystery to this, I tried re-burning a DTS .wav file I had already successfully burned to CD - and which played in 6-channel surround - and now it only plays in stereo (even though the first disc still plays as DTS).. so it's not (or not just) a file corruption issue, something has changed in the way ImgBurn is burning these files to CD, I just wish I could figure out what it was.

8. colmanjones

I tried using another program to burn the DTS files in question, PowerISO, and the disc plays fine, so there must be some problem with my ImgBurn setup which results in DTS files being converted to regular audio CD files.. will uninstall, reboot and reinstall and see if that fixes the problem.

Mister Charlie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.