Dual 604 turntable - Help!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by grx8, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grx8

grx8 Senior Member Thread Starter

HI, I´m new at the forum and new in Analog (Vinyl - Turntable)

I have a Dual 604 turntable that I bought used, good shape and cheap. I just don´t know how to setup it. Does anyone knows how?

How can I change the catridge? I have two Dual´s. One is brand new.

There is some antiaskating thing and the arm can be adjusted, I just don´t know in which number to set it.

Thanks in Advance.

Francisco

PS: I want Beatles in Hi REz!! LIke the Stones!!

Attached Files:

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

3. grx8

Thanks for the quick help! I will try to understand what the pics says. I´m sure it will help me.

Great pic BTW. GO Anna!

4. michael w

michael w New Member

Welcome !

Once you have the Dual setup sorted out; go and find yourself a copy of the Beatles Collection boxset (UK box is the one to get).

That will more than satisfy any Beatles Hi-rez urges.

:D

cheerio

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Franscisco, on the page I sent you, English is to the far right of each page. You may have to adjust your broswer.

Also, you may want to search that website. They have more info on the various Dual turntables, where to get parts, etc. plus I believe they may offer advice via email.

All the Anna's are lovely!

mud-:D

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Two easy things to start with:
    Push back the cueing prong on the right of the headshell, and the cartridge carriage will drop out of the headshell. Now you can easily change your cartridge or stylus. To re-install, push the rear of the carriage into the rear of the headshell, push up the carriage, and pull the cueing prong forward. Before that, you might want to clean the metal contacts in both the carriage and headshell with alcohol, as most Duals used silver contacts that need cleaning often.
    To change a belt, lift up the rubber mat where it covers a hole in the metal platter. Somewhere along the trajectory of that hole's orbit you will see a screw in a slot. Loosen the screw and push it back to the outer end of the slot, and you will be able to lift up the platter and change belts. Of course, reverse procedure to finish the job.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

No, no! Come (to me) Anna!

:D

Just kidding, Gxr8! A little (very little!) play on words. :)

8. grx8

OK, I changed the catridge. Without your help I couldn´t changed It. The problem now, or maybe now the problem, but what´s next (It sounds better know with the new neddle, but not much better. I think it sound quit good the turntable) is how to set up the arm and the anti skating. I can´t upload pictures becasue the digital camera dont take good pictures when they are taking near, so no pictures...

The antiskating says from 0 to 3 and the arm the same. Actually, I think is from 0 to -3. What does this numbers means and in what number should I set them.

Thanks a lot. I know that maybe im not telling you in the best way, sorry about that.

9. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

1) flip down the stylus protective cover
    2) move tonearm off holder
    3) adjust the rear weight until the tonearm floats level (twist like big screw)
    4) once the tonearm floats - this is Zero
    5) Hold the rear weight and adjust the number dial to zero (without moving the weight you adjusted in 3
    6) now that it is floating and at zero turn the weight until the number dial shows the weight you want like 1.5
    7) set the antiskating to 1.5
    done.
    I love my carbon fiber dust brush like the audioquest for $15.
    I love my zerostat air neutralizer - find a used one $60 is too much.
    a small brush like a model brush moved from back to front (only) will remove dust from the stylus (needle) if moving side to side or front to back it can damage the cartridge cantilever.
    If you need more help let me know.
    I could scan an old Dual manual and post it.
    Also the turntable doctor has a lot of helpful information about turntables.

Duals are great turntables. I have a 731Q.

10. grx8

Tips

Actually, your tips about the set up are great, but it´s hard to understand them for me. I don´t all the "slang" of turntables. If you can scan a manual, that would be awesome!

Thanks again to all!
    :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.