Dual Tray CD Burner for copying and ALSO listening needed. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JazzPolice, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

H-K does, they are consumer. And need strict low speed Music CD-R to work right.

2. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ouch. Well that's lame. So I'll read the Stereophile review of the Alesis. In the meantime, what about the computer option and upgrading my sound card to a USB device?

3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I can recommend that you don't get a Sony RCD-W500C if you are offered one used or refurbished. If it is working when you get it, it won't be for long.

McLover likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

USB Sound cards can be good. Some don't always play nice with some PC setups. With the HK, and other consumer units, you can still get the low speed MAM-A CD-R media from www.wtsmedia.com and other suppliers which work great in finicky recorders.

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

What's the difference between the W500c and the W10? My W10 has been working for a long time.

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

For what it's worth (now that the OP has said he may go the computer route) Marantz made a dual tray stand alone recorder (I know because my friend in Evanston, IL had one) but I don't recall if it was a pro or consumer deck. My first burner (that I still have and haven't used in years) was a Marantz pro, rack mountable burner. I can't recall the model number now. I got it in the late 90s and it cost me a grand. Man, we (my music buddies and I) got a LOT of use out of this thing in the early days as we didn't have computers that were up to the task. A lot of DATs were transferred and since the machine has a built in sample rate converter, we were able to take a lot of off speed ROIO CDs and "fix" them by lining out digitally using another CD player I had with pitch control. Recording was in real time and finalizing took two minutes once you were done. I didn't feel bad about the money (although that was a LOT for me back then) knowing how much use I was going to get out of it. Marantz' top of the line consumer grade CD burner was retailing for $800 at the time at my local high end shop. I went in looking for the pro deck and the salesman tried to get me to buy the consumer burner instead. My question to him was "why should I pay $800 for a machine that has to use music CDRs and has SCMS, that would prevent me from making copies of my copies, when I can get a pro deck with none of those restrictions for $1000". His response..."what's SCMS"? :rolleyes:.

darkmass likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Marantz Pro was superior and sounded as great. However, one caveat to know. They are finicky about the media they use. Taiyo Yuden/JVC and MAM-A/MAM-E work great. SCMS= Serial Copy Management System. RIAA genius again. Yeah, right.

9. Beatletapehead

Beatletapehead Well-Known Member

I have a Sony RCD-W1 dual tray player / recorder that I've been using for years. Have had no problems at all. For recording I use re-writable CD-R's and copy them into a PC with EAC for clean-up, then burn a regular CDR.
    It might not be audiophile but it sounds fine to me....perhaps I'm just used to it. I do like the sound of the vintage Sony ADCs.

They are available on evil-bay but like anything used, you never know how the item was cared for.

10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Do NOT buy a TEAC CD-recorder. I have one and the remote control stopped working after a year. The recorder itself just stopped working this weekend and I'm in the market for something else now.

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Old bump Muzyck, when you did have it, how did it sound? Found one at the thrift for cheap, working condition, I would just be using it as a player, analog out, I might go back tonight and check if it can do pre-emph cd's

12. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

13. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I still have it as a player in my office. It was fine to my ear, but I didn't have much to compare against prior to that. My office set up is "modest". :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    c-eling likes this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have the same player, and I have been very happy with it. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

inperson likes this.
  15. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I've got a JVC XL-R5010. I bought it refurbished in 2004. It has three playback trays on the left and one record tray on the right. Made some needledrops with it just this afternoon. They can be found on ebay for less than $100 (the CD recorder, not my needledrops.) I have no idea how it compares to modern audiophile CD players, but I like how it sounds. It is getting finicky about blank media, although I'm still having good luck with Maxell. I would avoid other JVC models, the 5010 has JVC's proprietary K2 interface, which you can read about starting on page five here: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/r...nuals/JVC Super Digifine Hi-Fi Components.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.