Duane Allman died 32 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

The one that hit me first and hit me the hardest:
    Thirty Two years ago today guitarist Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident in Macon GA. He was 25 years old. His work with his band The Allman Brothers and with Derek and The Dominos and Aretha Franklin remains some of my very favorite guitar work of all time. I mourn his death to this day.
    RIP Skydog

Peace-
    Norm

2. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Long live Duane Allman!

Anyone get the Atlanta Pop Festival 2CD yet? I preordered mine from Play.com, but they're listing it as being released on November 3. They're in Europe, though.

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

A huge loss. Always loved his playing. The man could say in one note what other's couldn't express in a guitar solo. "Sweet Melissa" is one of my favorite ABB tunes. The Allman Brothers would, of course, continue to make music and prosper after Duane's death but the band and rock music would never be the same. Thanks for the remembrance, teaser. I'll need to cue up DUANE ALLMAN ANTHOLOGY when I get back home.

Jim W.

4. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

One of the best, he had a lot of soul in his playing.

It's sad to think of the music we lost by his passing.

He probably still is making great music, but we don't get to hear it:(

Joe

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Skydog is still one of the greatest. The interaction between Dicky Betts and him in the early days of the ABB is still some of the fieriest stuff out there. Pure bliss. And "Hey Jude," well, wow!

6. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

You Allman fans might want to track down a copy of Link Wray's I Got To Ramble from 1974. It's dedicated to the memory of Duane Allman, with Link playing Allman style and one of his best vocal tracks. These 45's usually run around $5.00 (this one is actually a promo mono/stereo). It's off his 1974 lp The Link Wray Rumble.

Attached Files:

7. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Yeah, I got it, it's terrific. Duane's playing is peerless as always. One of my 2 or 3 favorite guitarists of all time.

Jeff

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Absolutely one of the most soulful players to ever "hit the big time". In honor of Duane, I will be listening to "Fillmore East" today and thinking about what a wonderful gift he gave us. After the Fillmore discs, it will be on to the "Layla" box set. God bless Duane Allman!:)

9. audio

audio New Member

A couple of notes:

1) I had no idea that this anniversary was coming up and I just happened to order the Duane Allman Anthology Vol. 1(which I HIGHLY recommend) on Strokazon.com yesterday.

2) Almost a year ago, a dear friend of mine, Carey, passed away. He was like family. He was the one who turned me on to Duane Allman. His favorite song was "Whipping Post". I remember walking to his funeral with his son and we carried this ghetto blaster with us. We had called my friend Carey's favorite radio station KPIG and requested "Whipping Post". Just as we walked up to the site of the funeral with all his friends and family gathered, the dedication and the song came on, blasting out of those cheap speakers on a melancholic, sunny, Santa Cruz afternoon. It was strangely theraputic and I realized we are ALL tied to the whipping post in one way or another.

3) Today, of all days, for no particular reason I had "Whipping Post" stuck in my head.

WHIPPING POST IS SOME POWERFUL STUFF. Serious guitar voodoo, brother. RIP, Duane, Cary, Elliot.......heaven help us all because really, the end is near. Sooner than we think, unfortunately, so ROCK ON!

10. teaser5

Prix:
    That was heavy. Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss
    Peace-
    N

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Blue Sky is one of those songs that completely changed the way I listen to music. Specifically, it helped show me the value of taste, restraint, and elegance to use a solo spot as more than just an opportunity to show off, but to create expression and ideas in ways only possible through the direct yet abstract phenomenon of music.

Thank you, Duane.

12. stever

stever Senior Member

Duane Allman fans: If I were to buy one recording with Duane Allman's guitar play on it, what should I buy?

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

For only Allman Brothers Duane, stick with Fillmore East. For a more rounded picture of his brief but legendary career, go with The Duane Allman Anthology, featuring his session work with the likes of Wilson Pickett, as well as his Allman Brothers and Derek & The Dominos stuff.

Evan

14. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

The old Polydor CD versions of both volumes of the Anthology, as well as the Dreams box set, were mastered by Dennis Drake, and IMHO sound much better than more recently remastered ABB material.

15. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Recently picked up 'Fillmore East' and 'The Best of DA', both inexpensive and near mint on vinyl.

I've heard F/E many times in the past but there is material on the best of that I don't remember (song with Clapton for instance). I'm going to spin both of these this weekend. Come to think of it, I always enjoyed the 'Eat A Peach/Mountain Jam' so maybe I'll spin that too.

16. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Fillmore East is definitely my first choice. But also think about the Boz Scaggs debut where Duane shines in a studio sideman role with the legendary Muscle Shoals crew. He is tasteful and fiery throughout, especially on the over 12 minutes of "Loan Me a Dime." Indispensible in my opinion.

17. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

True Talent taken before his time.....

18. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

What he said.

Hard to believe that Boz would later blow-dry his hair and go disco.

Note: the original vinyl album was later issued with some of the songs drastically remixed and/or shortened. The CD has that second mix, unfortunately.

However, the Duane Allman Anthology (both vinyl and CD) has "Loan Me A Dime" in the original mix.

The Essential Duane Allman:

- ABB at Filmore East, Deluxe Edition (the new one)

- DA Anthology Vol. 1

- Boz Scaggs #1

- Layla (especially for "Key To The Highway")

19. teaser5

Man, I remember when that Jann Wenner produced Boz Lp was impossible to get.
    Yes that is a fine album indeed. He had that whole Muscle Shoals team thing goin' on there.
    "Loan Me A Dime" is indeed a masterpiece. "Long Gone" is amazing as well.
    "Fillmore" and "Layla" are two of my top five two record sets of all time.
    (White Album, Exile and The River round it out for me...)

Just a huge talent and huge loss....
    :(
    Peace-
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.