Dukes of Hazzard on dvd

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

How's the picture quality on the dvd box sets? I watched a few episodes on TV Land yesterday and they looked great!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The DVD boxed set restorations are what are currently being used by Warner Bros. for syndication.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

5. Myke

Tempted to dive in myself. Was just reading Joey Bonsall's book this morning, and he was speaking of the Oaks' appearances on The Dukes.

6. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Holy cow...could tvland add any more commercials? Not only on the Dukes, but the others. Watched an ep of "Gilligan's Island" yesterday, 16 commercials in a row, about three minutes of show, then another dozen. THey're running most of their shows now off the clock, squeezing a 24 minute sitcom into a 45 minute block.

7. Myke

Why I quit TV 18 months ago. Life is too short. DVDs and Blu rays only for me.

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Didn't know Joe Bonsall had a book. How is it? Used to love the Dukes as a kid. It's really tough to sit through an episode now. I was in Nashville this past Feb. and we made a stop at Cooter's Garage. It was kind of a fun way to kill an hour.

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. Myke

Very good ! http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16994197 . The Oaks are my neighbors, just up the road in Hendersonville.

10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yes sir, I don't think I could sit through an episode myself these days. I loved Friday nights on CBS when I was a kid. We had the Hulk, The Duke Boys and Dallas! What more could we want? Was an awesome time to grow up. I find myself seeing episodes of the Dukes now but I just can't sit through them. However, if this episode came on I would watch out of curiousity because I don't remember Coy & Vance the first time around.

And I admit to enjoying this card game immensely when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

Rockos likes this.
  11. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I grew up with the show, and have the first 2 seasons on dvd. It's interesting to see how the tone of the show changed from early seaon one compared to later years. Early on, the show had more "bite", and was a well written show. Can't quite explain it, but Boss Hogg and Rosco were "meaner", and were more like the small-town corrupt officials that we often see in movies. Also, the first half of seaon one was filmed on location in Covington, GA. (there is a neat website that shows locations then vs. now, and I love that sort of thing).

Anyway, the characters became almost cartoonish. If you have watched the later years, I'd recommend going back and watching some of the first few episodes.

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I watched the show religiously as a kid when it was originally on. Then CBS started showing re-runs at like 7 a.m. on Saturday mornings, and I'd wake up early (on a Saturday!) just to catch the show.

I have season 1 on DVD. And the reunion show. I never went beyond that because I'm just not very diligent when it comes to watching TV shows on DVD, no matter how much I enjoy the show. And I do love this show. James Best was aptly named because he was the absolute best! "Cuff 'em and stuff em!" One of my all-time favorite characters.

Mention of the card game reminded me of the board game I used to constantly play as a boy;

[​IMG]

Rockos, MikeInFla and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. MikeInFla

I seem to remember reading an interview with James Best about that and he did not like playing a mean person. He would rather play something that kids would not be afraid of. He also made the laugh for kids to enjoy.

Rockos likes this.
  14. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That was a fun show to watch on many levels. Besides Daisy, I liked the General Lee and also Boss Hogg's Cadillac convertible with the horns. Apparently the first 5 episodes were filmed in Georgia and then it was produced (where else?) on some back lot in California.

15. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

Cooter's---either one---is a great way to spend an hour or two and the prices for merchandise are reasonable. I used to love that show and I still hope to one day get myself an orange 1969 Dodge Charger. Maintaining it will be an adventure, but I think the fun would be worth it. It would be nice if the main theme TV edit were available on CD.

Wikipedia of course has a list of the country artists who played the Boar's Nest; I can't remember if those were episode-specific recordings or a lip synch. Anyone know?

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I had heard over the years about the early episodes.
    Do you have a link to this site?

Darryl

17. MikeInFla

Amazon is sold out of Season 1 and it seems they do not know when it will be back. However, you can download the episodes

http://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard...35833208&sr=8-7&keywords=dukes+of+hazzard+dvd

Since I am not a Prime Member I assume you can probably watch them on Prime for free.

Season 2 is still available on DVD and used copies are reasonably priced

http://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard...35833208&sr=8-3&keywords=dukes+of+hazzard+dvd

18. Daniel Plainview

19. Daniel Plainview

This one takes the cake!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dukes-o...331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5675df2b43

$1000 for season 6!

I'm tempted to sell my Season 1 set now. Surely things will go back to normal in a week or two and then I can rebuy them at sane prices.

This season 1 in merely "acceptable" condition is already up to $46 with 4 days left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dukes-o...593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567763dc31

It's amazing. Looking at completed listings these were still selling for less than $20 yesterday. Now copies even missing discs are up to $40! I'd better cash in while I can.

20. MikeInFla

Crazy prices! I also believe they will come down in a few weeks. Can't believe the prices on eBay, I would look elsewhere if i really wanted this show (which I don't). If I really wanted to see it i would just buy Amazon Prime and watch them on tv thru that.

21. Daniel Plainview

WB store still has all seasons for sale. They are backordered at the moment, but no sign that they won't make more.

Aww, hell....I'm gonna list my season 1 on eBay for $100 or best offer and see what I get.

22. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Friday nights.. those were the days. TV DINNER... a slice of entenmann's Walnut Topped Maple Walnut Icing Cake and sittin' down to watch that block. Hulk would chase guys into the woods... Dukes would chase him out of the woods... JR would sip a whisky wonderin' what them boys was doin' up in the woods! Quality TV!

23. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I miss The Duke Boys, JR, and Bobby(Boy do I sound like a Statler Brother!)

MikeInFla and clhboa like this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Guess who's $130 richer?

:goodie:

Maybe I should have asked for more.

I think my local Barnes n Nobles has them in stock. Gonna buy more and make mad profit.

25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

You're like Boss Hogg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.