Any Dukes of Hazzard fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Just recently been enjoying these DVD's due to a sale. This was one of those "epic", hour-long shows with a huge fan base, the type of which were popular at the time with shows like Fantasy Island and "Love Boat". An hour long is a tough slot to fill, and a shows got to be real good to succeed. And there were a lot of good ones back then. Dallas, Falcon Crest, Knots landing. Hour long shows are making a comeback, though, with shows like "House" and "24".

What I always liked about the Dukes of Hazzard was the fact that even though there was always friction between the Dukes and Roscoe, Uncle Jesse and Boss, etc. - at the end of the day they all really cared about each other, and the Duke boys would even go out of their way to help or look after Boss or Roscoe if they were in trouble. Don't know what the Dead Kennedy's were talking about in the song "Goons of Hazzard", it's like Jello never even WATCHED the show!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I love the show as well. Do you have the CD of the TV cast album?

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Catherine Bach was hot. At 13, I rode my crummy little two-speed bike about six miles each way to buy a poster of her. :love:

I honestly barely remember the series otherwise, but CB was lovely!

Attached Files:

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Nobody else can play Daisy Duke.
    Jessica Simpson cannot even hold a candle to her.

Is this the poster you bought?
    [​IMG]

Darryl

5. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

I absolutely LOVE that show. I have a handful of seasons on DVD.

6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

A good friend of mine went to school with John Schneider in Katonah. Pictures of him in high school up on his wall with buddies. I had no idea he was a local Yankee!

7. BradOlson

In fact, John was born in Mount Kisco, New York and his and James Best's houses were recently featured on CMT Cribs.

8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Yup, very entertaining show for what it was. I enjoyed it back then and have some of the dvd sets.

9. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Dukes of Hazzard is one of those shows I have warm n' fuzzy memories of from my high school days (others being CHIPs and Buck Rogers).

The show had good-looking people, a larger-than life villain, and befuddled law enforcement agents. (Roscoe's laugh (with was also used as a stinger after the closing credits, IIRC) always broke me up. :laugh:)

I tried to recapture that feeling a few years ago when I got one of the DVD sets cheap, but (for me) DOH worked best as way to unwind from yet week of school than it does if you watch it anytime you want to. Its Friday night at 8:00pm timeslot was perfect.

After re-watching a few of the episodes it struck me how it seemed like a live-action cartoon. And the cartoon it most reminded me of was Scooby-Doo. Not because Bo and Luke were chasing around after spooks, but because the series rarely strayed from the exact same plotlines ("Boss Hogg wants to get rich as well as frame the Duke boys for something and have them put in jail").

Watching the show on the old Zenith color TV as I thought about what I was going to do over the weekend is how I'll always remember it. :)

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved all the car chases and Catherine Bach....

What's not to like....

11. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

Sorrell Booke, James Best and Denver Pyle: three of my favorite charactor actors. Forget the "plot", forget the cuzzins, you could even leave Daisy out---the fun was watching Boss & Roscoe, one of the greatest comedy teams ever. Hearing Waylon every week was a major plus.
    And without the Dukes of Hazzard, we wouldn't have that well-known acronym: WWTDBD?
    (What Would The Duke Boys Do?)

:wave:

12. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

My friend who watches a ton of obscure films just watched 1975 film "Moonrunners" that was the inspiration for the show. Some of the character names and other elements of the movie were used in the show, so it's not just a loose re-interpretation.

13. Baba Oh Really

YEP! Uncle Jesse, Cooter, and "The Balladeer" were common characters from the movie to the film. It was "narrated" EXACTLY the same way, too.

Dukes of Hazzard = a "Family friendly" version of Moonrunners.

The Dukes of Hazzard was a very, very interesting fine balance. Since the Duke boys were constantly (basically) breaking the law, they always had to be going out of their way to do good to balance this out, and they had to make Roscoe and Boss as corrupt as possible so that you could side with the Duke boys, and because of their good actions, the ends would justify the means. They were "right" even if they were doing "wrong".

14. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

What a great show. Sure, it wasn't all that sophisticated or anything, but it wasn't meant to be. It was really, as was suggested earlier in the thread, a live-action cartoon. Boss Hogg and Roscoe P Coltrane... for me, they totally made the show.

Okay, and Waylon too, but he could have read the phone book and I would have paid a premium to have heard it. :)

15. aaronfirebrand

That's not what I remember. The whole Duke clan, Cooter, and even Enos, were always trying to do the right thing. Extremely moral characters. When they broke the law, it was for honorable reasons. Boss Hogg was always trying to frame them for things they didn't do. I never saw Roscoe as corrupt, just weak.
    I don't think the Duke boys were even guilty of speeding (much) as I never noticed any speed limit signs on the roads they travelled.

16. Definitely a favorite show! I remember when I'd first seen it, I thought it was especially cool to see a custom painted version of the car that my parents had (a 69 Dodge Charger). Best of all, I even got to jump through the window of my parent's Charger ...once (but my mom got extremely pi-double ...well, irritated and said "use the door like everyone else", or something to that effect).. Still, my brother and I were hoping that my dad would get the car repainted like the General Lee (but they ended up soon replacing it with a Buick V6 powered 79 Olds Gutless Supreme). Picture below is their 69 Charger in May 1976. Awesome car!

17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

The guy who played Cooter was in congress for a while, and operates *two* Dukes of Hazzard "museums" and retail shops in Tennessee. One is right by my house in Nashville, and most days has one of the General Lee Dodge Chargers sitting out in front of the store. If you ever want to find that Dukes of Hazzard lunchbox you owned in the third grade, that would be the place to go. Not to mention the Roscoe P. Coaltrain t-shirts and Boss Hogg hats for sale.

And if you are a culture snob, you can drop off the family and head over to the high falutin' Willie Nelson Wax Museum a couple of doors down.

18. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

And then a cartoon-cartoon.

Attached Files:

19. Baba Oh Really

If there are no signs, you're supposed to assume the speed limit is 25 MPH (Driver's handbook).

Running from the police is breaking the law. This happened in every single show. And don't forget, the Duke Boys were on probation, and couldn't leave Hazzard county line.

Roscoe was corrupt. VERY CORRUPT. Did you see the episode where he inherited 10 million dollars? The first thing he did was hire a crooked bounty hunter for 100,000 to FRAME the duke boys and send them to prison. He was on the take with Boss Hogg getting 25 percent of Boss's ill-gotten gains from county funds (See "Sadie Hogg Day" episode for verification of this). He also knew about every shady thing Boss did and was in cahoots with him. He tried to destroy evidence for Boss when the Tax auditor came to town. YES, Roscoe had a good heart otherwise, but if this isn't corrupt, I don't know what is.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't think that's the poster I had, but after 30 years, I'm not sure!

21. BradOlson

Indeed Rosco was very corrupt.

22. BradOlson

Turning this into a music oriented thread, is anybody else here a fan of the Daisy's Song episode where a publisher cheats Daisy out of $50 and the publisher had a pirate try and imitate Jessi Colter and getting Daisy to think that Jessi recorded it only to find out that it is a fraudulent operation? Another music themed episode is the Sound of Music - Hazzard Style where Boss Hogg gets involved with bootlegging music and ends up having the bootleggers record a Mickey Gilley performance at Hazzard Square, and that was also hilarious.

23. aaronfirebrand

Well, I don't know what the laws regarding speed limits are in Hazzard, and being a fictitious place, it would be difficult to find out. They could be different from yours or mine. Certainly the laws of physics were different in HC. The chases were just a game for both parties, at any rate. A hound chasing a rabbit, really.

Yes, Roscoe did corrupt things, but that doesn't mean he was a corrupt man. Your comment about his good heart lends support to this conclusion. He did bad things, but as I said, he was weak. Roscoe had no will of his own, and being in thrall to Boss, he naturally tried to emulate him. But no one who loved his dog as much as Roscoe did could be completely corrupt. Remember, Roscoe worked for Boss and was usually just following orders to keep his job.

My quibble was mainly with your assessment of the Duke boys as trying to balance their misdeeds with good deeds. No such complexity is evident in Bo and Luke. For them to operate that way, guilt would have been a motivating factor, and that would have been obvious. I repeat: they were honorable folks trying to do the right thing. As to breaking the law, when the law in Hazzard is whatever Boss Hogg says it is, the law has no validity. Boss didn't enforce the law, he created it out of whole cloth to suit his needs, thus it lacked authority.

And Roscoe never got 25% of anything from Boss. It was always 50% of 10% of 25% or some such commission.

24. aaronfirebrand

I vaguely recall the Daisy episode, but the one with Mickey Gilley was a hoot.

It's a shame the producers never got Jerry Lee Lewis on the show. It would have been fun watching the Killer go after the Boss, or vice versa.

25. BradOlson

Indeed he was following orders from Boss to keep his job. The fact that the law of Hazzard has no validity is a part of what made the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.