Dumb buying DVD's of tv shows now? Will they eventually be out on Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by inperson, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I think blu-ray disc sales along with all physical media is slowing down with less and less titles released. Don't count on a blu-ray release if you want the actual discs. I imagine soon almost all shows (tv and films) will be digital steaming and downloads, either individual purchases or a subscription to a service or specialty channel.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

I just paid $80 for The Saint on ebay. There were other cheaper sellers but it seems theirs were pirates. I just got it yesterday and it appears to be legit.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

As I out to my sorrow (and steaming rage) when I looked for "Bob's Burgers" dvds. Cd-rs??!?:realmad:

4. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I get the feeling that, much as with niche markets like silent films, TV shows are now in the "golden period" of availability as nice sets (BR or DVD) before we see that going away...there has never been a better market for silent re-masters than there is right now, but who knows how long that can be sustained (that's why I buy now). If discs are becoming "obsolete" (because they don't want people to have them ultimately) then one must decide with heart and wallet....

It would be nice if I am wrong, but I have seen too many formats die, and too many titles not be available, so now I think this way.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Network is great! A lot of wonderful hidef releases like The Professionals, The Persuaders, Space 1999, The Prisoner, etc.

Blimpboy likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Now that Universal has re-released Season One of Adam-12 on one-sided DVDs, my waiting has ended, and I'm now working my way slowly ( savoring ) through the entire series.

It never even occurred to me, to think to wait for BD. Never gonna happen. :laugh:

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

No need to buy Sanford and Son or Maude on Blu-ray!

8. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I was blown away by Rockford in HD when it was on Netflix. I felt like I practically smell early 70s LA. It's a window in time. I love it.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I just got the whole Angel tv series for $20 off ebay..:D
    Why not buy old tv shows on dvd blu ray does not make everything
    dvd better.. They are even realeasing Batman The Animated Series on blu ray.
    They did it on Batman Beyond and Batman Mask Of Phantasm
    Both series I have on dvd great picture both are suppose to be dark in color..
    as drawn on black background paper.
    If want tv series and it's cheap on dvd buy it.

10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

^^^ This ^^^

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as far as TV shows on home video it's seems they went backwards...so many missed BD opportunities...but, I believe the ridiculous high prices they were first charging were outrageous...they tanked and now we get DVD...safe for them.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I mastered the original miniseries for WB in the 1980s, and that was a ton of work. But we had like 15 knobs back in that era. Now, we have about 600 knobs. More knobs... more stuff. We can make it look a lot better now, particularly when the film is scanned to HD or 4K. All those effects were old school photochemical blue screen on optical printers, done the hard way. Tough show to work on.

Rockford Files and a bunch of the other Universal TV series were all remastered in HD by Universal's own Digital Video Services right on the lot, just about a block away from Spielberg's headquarters. Very nice people, very competent, state-of-the-art facilities.

Dan C, JonnyKidd, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  13. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd like to buy Seinfeld on blu ray any plans on that coming out?

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I highly doubt it..

JonnyKidd and inperson like this.
  15. Thanks for your reply Vidiot. I love this show and everytime I see shows like Knight Rider (God, I was 10/12 at the time it was on Spanish T.V. and I hated it so much) on BD and think that V is not, I get very ungry. It must have been a very difficult show to work on, the FX were very good for the time and even better thinking it was for a T.V. show, and the make up effects when they skinned a lizard are so greatfully done.I think one of the best it's on Episode 3 (or 1 of The Final Battle) when they skin Willy's/Englund hand to reveal his true lizard skin, it's very very realistic, masterfully done, and I'd love to see those effects on HD. Maybe some day...
    The only bad thing about this show is some of the cast, some actors are just not good, like Marc Singer and Faye Grant, I think their performances are subpar, and when those two shared the screen with Jane Badler it was just laughable, Badler eat them both.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  16. Sadly, no. The show still makes a fortune in syndication and Seinfeld's owners have shown no interest in putting out a Blu-ray set.

Television shows rarely appear on Blu-ray these days as the brick & mortar stores that used to stock them for older customers are abandoning physical media.

inperson likes this.
  17. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Like a lot of people here i've ditched many DVDs of my favorite movies and tv shows for Blu-Ray and don't regret doing it. However i've been making it a point of watching some of the DVDs i kept and haven't watched in a long time and have been enjoying them for the most part. Occasionally i'll come across a bad transfer, but 9 out of ten times i've been more than satisfied with the picture quality. I've actually started looking in the used DVD bins again for that rare and/or obscure classic movie or tv show boxed set that may, or may not see the light of day on Blu-Ray.

18. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

When you start getting old and don't hear or see that well none of it matters and a plain old DVD will do.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.