Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

For the record, it is vinyl not "vinyls". I consider that dumb. We can disagree on the issue of new vinyl vs. old vinyl. I do not consider your preference dumb. In fact, I understand why some would only buy new. I prefer analog, and I'm willing to hunt and scrounge for particular pressings.

kyletx500 likes this.
  2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I don't have that problem. Various online dealers and brick-and-mortar stores love what they do and only sell quality used vinyl. I know quite a few that I trust and they have never let me down.

3. You are very lucky. My experience with on-line sellers and even the handful of bricks and mortar stores we have here has been very different: all records are woefully over-graded and most graded less than mint, I would, in all truth, throw in the recycling bin as they're simply beyond the pale.

4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I know of a store that often grades VG/VG and I don't know why; the records mostly look and play NM/NM.

5. The problem with record grading is that the vast majority of retailers are lazy and simply rely on the Record Collector Grading System with just a quick cursory glance over an LP in often poorly lit shops. Then you have the problem of the grading system itself. If anyone can reliably ascertain the condition of any record by simply reading that completely ambiguous and frankly meaningless system, then they must be a complete genius. For example when they say something like "evidence a record has been played", what exactly does that mean? Is it the existence of some noise, crackle, distortion or simply someone spotting a thumb-print on the vinyl? It could mean the LP still plays perfectly and is silent all the way through or it could mean something else altogether.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Grant likes this.
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Agree. You have to know who you are buying from. Some of my best sounding pressings are 40 plus years old.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not all females are that clever.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

If I'm not mistaken, an intelligent device could look up the answer to that question.

9. SixOClockBoos

IMO, Mono should still be known among my generation. I've asked a few of my friends who definitely aren't on these forums or know much about music mastering what is mono since I've made my first post in this thread and all of them were able to identify that it means "music coming from one speaker". There is even an option of iPhones to make the music you're listening to into mono. If I was talking about quadrophonic, then it's a different story. It may not seem dumb to some, but it was dumb to me.

10. SixOClockBoos

True it might have been a ploy, but I did go on explaining and she ended up leaving after a few seconds after I finished explaining after saying thanks so... :shrug:

11. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Same difference, more or less, metaphorically speaking...

binky the doormat and Drifter like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have heard so many stupid things said by people at records stores, it would be impossible to remember them all. What bothers me the most is the person who thinks he knows everything about music, but when the talk, they are full nonfactual statements that even a non musical person would know better.

Dynamic Ranger and zen like this.
  13. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Dried seas, and dried up seeds? Uhm....well, to each their own I guess.

14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Most of the less funny, more eye rolling type dumb things I remember hearing were from people who just had to turn a non-story into an epic encounter. The story changes from the true events, i.e., "was shopping at Waterloo the day after Sonic Youth played at Stubb's and saw Lee and Thurston where there browsing for records", and turn it into something way 'cooler' like, "was shopping at Waterloo the day after Sonic Youth played at Stubb's and saw Lee and Thurston where there browsing for records. We started taking about their gig the night before and I gave them notes on the performance. They must have been impressed because they said I'd get hooked up on the guest list next time they are in town".

15. Mike Campbell

heard it many times......people like to embellish.

16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Casual sexism never gets old around here, does it?

BurtThomasWard, dalem5467 and Grant like this.
  17. Mike Campbell

Casual?

Grant and e.s. like this.
  18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I was trying to be somewhat diplomatic...

Grant likes this.
  19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

What's wrong with bein' sexy?

[​IMG]

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  20. Mike Campbell

I know. I got that.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What's laughable is your belief that your opinion matters more than others'. Probably a shock to you but not everybody likes what you like or judges ability the same way as you. A little "live & let live" would do you some good.

Belittling somebody else's opinion is not cool, dude.

Yeah, it's a real shame she was conversing with you while trying to learn instead of looking down at a tiny screen isolated in her own world. Human interaction? So passé...

You're absolutely right ; she's officially dumb for not knowing something you did. I'm sure you were born knowledgeable and never had to ask questions to learn anything, ever.

If you exhibited the same level of snarkiness and "charm" demonstrated in this thread, I don't find it mysterious at all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  22. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do girls really EVER have to resort to ploys when it comes to pulling guys?

DigitalDave74, SirMarc and Grant like this.
  23. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Often they don't have to but they do it anyway. It's called the game of love.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

"Madonna's lights are even better" - some guy after Roger Water's The Wall.

And one that happened two days ago at Roger Hodgson's very nice show in Brazil: "do you know this guy played in Rush in his youth?". I just said: "great".

PS: sorry folks, I've read "show" intead of "record store" haha Well, these are quite stupid anyway.
    In a record store, I learned that John Mclaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra started in 1958.

25. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Well didja?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.