Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I swear I once heard someone who worked behind the counter ask a co-worker if Andy Partridge was related to Shirley Jones.

2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

A few months ago I was in an FYE and I asked where their blank CDs were.

Clerk's response "I'm not sure what those are. Is that like a flash drive?"

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, in his defense a lot of people don't really use blank CDs anymore- especially not teenagers/young adults who just use MP3 players.

Blank CDs have been superseded by flash drives (both thumb drives and larger drives) for storage and MP3 players for music listening.

Blank CDs are kind of a late-90's thing and going the way of Zip Drives.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

There was a time when I didn't know what a flash drive was, but I always knew about recordable CDs. :)
    At least this generation has the opportunity to know what a record (vinyl) is!

Licorice pizza likes this.
  5. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

I was managing a store in 1997.
    And this happened:

Owner of store: Wait, Peter Gabriel was in Genesis?
    me: Give me the store keys please, go home and don't come in for a week.

6. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I thought that was Simply Red. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DTK likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You are correct. I am a big Simple Minds fan, especially of their first six industrial/krautrock-ish albums, but have no interest at all in the redheaded white soul singer.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Oh, yeah! Give me Simple Minds any day over the redhead, no offense to redheads in general.:hide::whistle:

Hell on Reels and DTK like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

???? :D Now you have me all confused. I thought you acknowledged that the "red headed white soul singer" was in Simply Red? Your response implies red headed chap ... oh well, forget it. :D

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That clerk should know what a blank CD is. I knew what a wax cylinder was when I was 10 (1985) and they certainly weren't in use during my lifetime. It's all about learning music history. I know a 27 year old songwriter who has no idea what a DAT player is even though he walks by one every day. He thought they were the same as cassettes. :cry:

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

He neglected to mention that he's 32.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Pronoun confusion I think; the redtop is known as Simply Red, Jim Kerr of Simple Minds is strictly brown on top and not a soul singer by any stretch... Suffice to say I managed to scare off one friend with this when she was expecting romantic soul pop.

sbsugar and DetroitDoomsayer like this.
  13. Yes, and 'Never Tear Us Apart' is also a classic.

14. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

:confused: 'Never Tear Us Apart' is INXS

15. :pineapple:

Porkpie likes this.
  16. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I guess I still don't understand what INXS has to do with a person being confused about the difference between Simple Minds and Simply Red.

17. I was in a record store when I replied.

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I see that same scene with some frequency...

Imagine being born in the '90s and having some curiosity about "old" records... you're not gonna know what Mantovani or Steve & Eydie or Herb Alpert sounds like, so you pay your dollar and take a chance. It's rather charming.

LivingForever and Runicen like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Hell, the price point may be higher, but that's where a huge chunk of my music collection comes from these days. "Oh, someone thought enough of these guys to put together a career-spanning box set of their music. Wonder what they're about?"

action pact likes this.
  20. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

In line at RSD Saturday overheard a guy in line a few spots ahead talking to his gf about a Crosley Star Wars turntable, "this has got to be the coolest thing in the whole store".

Did not hear anything else about the conversation, just noticed the star wars box at his feet and heard the excitement over it. This was not the smartest comment I have ever overheard in a record store to be sure.

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE likes this.
  21. APH

APH Forum Resident

That's how I built my vinyl collection, in my twenties. But I was luckier, as the Boomers had just sold off all their (your?) vinyl to get CDs, and there was a basement shop near me stuffed with NM copies of 60s and 70s classics.
    'Wonder what Country Joe and the Fish sound like?' 'Laura Nyro? Why not, for 2 pounds.' 'Funkadelic, didn't they have a hit? But this is something called Let's Take It To the Stage?'
    I bought loads there, and still often wish I'd bought much much more.

22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Can I get a latte and a scone please......

troggy and Blank Frank like this.
  23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

"Record Store Day is great."

24. zen

zen Senior Member

Years ago, I overheard a customer ask if they had a CD by the "king of jazz." He was looking for the best in the field of jazz. So he wanted the king.
    The record employee gal went to the computer, and said, "we have it!"
    ...and then she brought over to the customer a CD by Paul Whiteman. I walked over and looked at the CD cover and lo and behold it did say, "The King of Jazz" on the cover.

broccolid, Zeki and danasgoodstuff like this.
  25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It is such a shame these machines are hot, buttered garbage because that casing is a thing of beauty. Can't someone put some decent guts in one of those things?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.