Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Somebody at the front counter yelled towards the back, "Ed [I think it was], where's Buddy Holly?" The guy at the back shakes his head and says somberly, "He's dead."

Okay, not dumb but pretty funny anyway.

2. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

That strikes me as a clever bit of satire rather than a dumb comment.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Recently I was in my local used record store (Omega).
    As a guy was passing me he mumbled...
    'I have no use for vinyl records, I play my CDs'
    I'm thinking, 'dude why are you in a store that mainly sells vinyl records'.

Darryl

SixOClockBoos and Dan Steely like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe he's in there to sell his collection of vinyl he no longer wants? Or to buy vinyl for a friend? :shrug:

Frosst likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Obviously, looking for whatever CDs they may have.

6. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Directed at me the other day, while I was gently checking whether a bad mark on an otherwise immaculate Sheik Yerbouti was a 'feelie' (it wasn't, and I bought it):

"What are you doing to my records? You'll RUIN them!"

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Use the scientific method. Take some Silly Putty, press it into the area where the scratch appears, peel it off. If there is a visible ridge in the Silly Putty, the scratch will be audible. Any residue of Silly Putty that remains on the record can be removed with WD-40 and a soft bristle toothbrush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Terrapin Station, uzn007 and yarbles like this.
  8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Some of these guys are nuts. Especially at the record shows.

It better now that I'm older - but when I was a kid shopkeepers or vendors got very condescending about how the records were handled.

yarbles likes this.
  9. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

It may have been by me.

In 1978, I was fifteen, and saw the Stones Some Girls Tour in Chicago (I was crazy about the Some Girls album--still am--and just getting into their back catalogue). I loved the song they opened with (which of course I now know to be Chuck's "Let it Rock"). However, soon after the show, I was going around to all these Chicago records stores, trying to describe this great song by the Rolling Stones I didn't know, and trying to find out what Stones album I could find it on--to many confused looks, to be generous. I dare say, I might've even sung a few bars. I had no idea it was a Chuck Berry song. And this in Chicago no-less.

I've long since made amends: Even having written and had produced a play on Chess Records. And I'm proud owner of three Chuck boxes, including the Bear Family, the Hip-Os and the Chess Box. But the thought of the younger me in pursuit of that song, still makes me cringe a little!

10. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

"The latest Red Hot Chili Peppers LP please!"

Moshe, MBT68, supernaut and 1 other person like this.
  11. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

:laughup::biglaugh: I can just picture his reaction if I tried that...I would try that, but no idea where to buy that stuff anymore, although my daughter is into making 'goo' at the moment - PVA glue, contact lens fluid & food dye, etc. I expect a thick 'goo' mix would have the same effect? I'll try it next visit, & report back...if I make it out of the shop alive, :biglaugh:

Farmer Mike, davers and supernaut like this.
  12. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Cashier: “did you hear Conway Twitty died ?”

Guy: “Oh my gosh!! She did??”

Moshe, clhboa and supernaut like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I learned that technique from a rare record dealer. He also used silly putty to transfer copies of record labels to a discography he was writing. This was in the pre-digital photography days, of course.

Lightworker and yarbles like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was just in a record store a few minutes ago, when an older couple came in looking for a singer whose name they forgot. They said he sang Italian Songs.

The shop owner guessed it on the third try.

Lou Monte.

Farmer Mike, Moshe and uzn007 like this.
  15. Another clue: It shares a name with a Chicago record label that was associated with Ministry.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

ME: No, but neither has he.

17. guitardiet

guitardiet Forum Resident

I agree with that statement :tiphat:

Moshe, TheLazenby and musicfan37 like this.
  18. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

This reminds me of a recent encounter in a used record store. I got this, a limited numbered edition live album by Television, mint condition. It was sitting in a box of stuff that hadn't been priced yet. To add context, there were several boxes of unpriced stock (this was after Record Store Day, so it's understandable that there was a backlog). The clerk was like, 'whoa, didn't even know that was there.' So then I asked how much it was, he said $7.99. I bought it, then I looked it up after I left and I was floored at how good of a deal it was. Considered reselling it until I listened to it later on. AMAZING album, AMAZING sound quality, and I would never sell it unless I made a ton of money off of it (like in the thousands). To me, it's almost priceless. Let me tell you, if you see this thing lying around a used record store for a decent price, I would HIGHLY recommend picking it up.

nosliw and qwerty like this.
  19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Vinyls!

JG

BeSteVenn likes this.
  20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Gosh, I hope Kanye's "scoop di poop" song makes it to vinyl. XD

21. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

The dad was wrong. The College Dropout is the best Kanye album, but I can see why people think My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the best.

However, don't expect to get a pressing of those that aren't scratched, dirty, or warped right out of the shrink.

22. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Something I heard at a summer music camp. This was between me and a kid in my cabin:

Him: You know "Paint It, Black" by The Rolling Stones, right?

Me: Yeah obviously.

Him: It's a great song.

Me: In my opinion, The Rolling Stones had some good songs, but I overall prefer the Beatles.

Him: The Beatles are kinda old.

Me: If the Beatles are kinda old, then The Rolling Stones are kinda old, too.

Him: No they are not.

Me: Dude, all the guys in The Rolling Stones are in their 70s at this point.

Him: No, they are 20 years younger. The Rolling Stones are from the 80s.

I told him to do his research. He was too lazy to do even do that.

Another kid in my cabin says that the Stones "sound like they're from the 90s."

How can anybody think this way?

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

vinyl is always better than CD or digital...LOL. of course the dude makes the most on vinyl sales...sucking the coin out of the customer with overpriced records...

nosliw, dalem5467 and jonathan like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he wanted $50.00? ; )

a plant they make rubber out of...

25. btbderek

btbderek Kick Out The Jams

Heard this one today in the local record store.

"I absolutely despise records, hate them"

Bigbudukks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.