Dune 1984

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I still think is the biggest flop we've had.
    Sci Fi wise.
    Your opinions on this movie.
    I really enjoyed after 20 plus for last time I seen it.
    The extended version is really great.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Biggest flop in terms of what? Money? Expectations? Careers?

I think there are tons of movies since then that have been much bigger bombs in every way. The biggest problem I have with the film is that it's very, very boring -- to me.

BTW, when Universal tried to do a director's cut around 1988, they begged David Lynch to supervise or at least approve the edit -- which matched his initial workprint -- but he refused, saying he had abandoned the film and never wanted to return to it. I worked on transferring some of the extra pieces and extending the scenes, but only in sections. Still an odd film.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You love the movie enough to watch it 20 times and you call it a "flop?" :confused::confused:

4. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

The original theatrical cut was okay. I didn't like the extended version since I felt that the pacing lagged even more.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I've watched that movie maybe four times. I enjoy it. Its one of those movies that I'll always watch if I see it on TV because it has such great style. I have no idea what's going on half the time, but I'll still watch it. It has many twisted, powerful scenes which I just can't resist. What can you say? It's Lynch.

aussievinyl likes this.
  6. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I grew up with this movie and love it. Have probably seen it more than 100 times

7. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I saw this recently on the big screen, purely because it was a 70mm blow-up print. I went with a friend who is a big Dune fan - I on the other hand, went in knowing nothing.

What a mad, mad film.

Visually splendid, completely incomprehensible, dull in many places, but with just enough going on to hold the attention. Overall all, I rather enjoyed it, despite not knowing what the hell was going on most of the time. My friend has to explain quite a few plot points afterwards. Overall then, a failure, but an interesting failure nevertheless.

Tom

scobb likes this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

My brother has read all the book and he says the movie is pretty much as good as they could have made at the time.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The English/American Science Fiction network mini-series based on the Dune novels is in some ways more successful than this film. I like them both.

10. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

Its pretty simple to understand. Its a messiah movie

11. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I had read the book, so I had no issues with following the plot, but the movie definitely did not click with me. Don't think I've ever tried to watch it again.

12. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Watched Dune recently on Blu. The story is regrettably, if necessarily, condensed. Points for style, but the special effects have not aged well. Never bought Kyle as Mau'dib. As always, Sting is detestable, but at least here he gets offed with a Chrysknife.

The books are excellent, especially the first three. You really need to read the first book to make sense of the film.

13. Yes...I particularly disliked the technique of hearing what the characters are thinking as a method of story telling. The movie gets points for style, but beyond that it is a mess.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm understand why people don't like this film but I'm surprised that people call it boring.
    If your familiar with the books I'd have to say it rolls along pretty quick. If I remember
    correctly the first scene of the movie is the Emporor meeting with the Guild Navigator
    which isn't implicitly written into the book its just implied later on. Much of the story is
    that way. I agree that the SYFY mini-series was better because it gave more time to
    hash out the plot. I truly don't know how you adapt Dune into a Hollywood movie.

15. It's like a Reader's Digest condensed version of the novel. As I recall when I met Frank Herbert in 1986 he was largely pleased by it but hated the ending feeling it was rushed and that the rain made no sense particularly given the sequel novels he had written and had in mind st the time. There's an almost operatic quality to the film because it is so stylized and over dramatic.

There are elements of the Judas expanded edition that i like and others that make the film even worse. I don't think that Lynch ever truly figured out how to adapt the novel.

A related story--Jack Nance was my apartment manager st the time (he had to do something between acting gigs) and I begged him to let me read the script before he flew down to Mexico to shoot his scenes. He quite naturally said no but did tell me it was a typical Lynch type of film with strange stuff in it and briefly gave me a recap of the stuff that was quite unusual in his opinion. He did this after I told him I had read the novel and I told him the basic plot and he did admit that the film was very much like my description from the portion of the script he had and had read.

I don't recall if he told me he had read the novel or not.

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I had read all of the books that were published by the time this movie debuted. I was disappointed.

17. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Lots of actors never read the whole movie script
    They just learn their lines and cues......

18. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I'll bet you were shattered when you heard of his untimely death! That man had a rough life (including his wife's suicide) but by all reports was a decent friend and neighbor.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Agreed. Even seeing this in 70mm at the Cinerama "back in the day" couldn't keep me from yawning, and that's saying something.

Matt

20. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I actually liked that effect and still wonder why more directors don't use this technique versus having characters taking to themselves.

I had a hard time digesting this movie when it came out in the theater, but today it's one of those "I have to stop and watch this" if I see it on TV. It's odd but appealing at the same time.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Flawed, yes, and at least an hour too short, but certainly not deserving of the "worst film ever" label that I believe one critic accorded it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I recently watched it again and I thought it was a glossy relic from the 80's, it hasn't aged well. Many plot holes, bad direction, and I really dislike Kyle MacLachlan, always thought is a dreadful actor.

23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Hence, the 'Alan Smithee' director's credit for that cut. :D

24. I was indeed. I was kind of shocked about the whole thing that occurred at the donut stand. He was a very nice guy, a true gentleman in my dealings with him and very down to earth.

It was particular sad given that he had found some lasting fame outside of his bit role in (among other things) "Blue Velvet" and the cult following for "Eraserhead" when he was in "Twin Peaks". It was nice to see him finally get some recognition.

25. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

When I'd see this on the pegs in toys stores as a kid, I'd totally overlook these toys. In looking at them now, I'd still pass on buying them. Behold, the Dune toys: http://www.arrakis.co.uk/action.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.