Dunkirk (forthcoming in 2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Saw it last night and was so dissapointed. Hardly any blood and enough cheesy action to hold a large buffet.

Compared to Saving private Ryan, Hacksaw ridge or Band of brothers, it falls woefully short on realism.

Purple Jim likes this.
  2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Your opinions are aggravating me on two separate threads. We really should have a dinner party.

GeoffC likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:cheers:

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

5. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

Thankfully an actual Dunkirk survivor sees it differently:

mindblanking, Yovra and Simon A like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, really, Christopher. People probably told you that in reality the rescue boats would have come in dribs and drabs and not one huge flotilla. But, be a producer, man! Camera pulls back to real 150 boats stretching to the horizon. Hans Zimmer remembers his place in the score and strings ZING! Gimme it! You're fired, you British $&@%@! Get off my production!

;)

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It's on ITV4 this afternoon.
    Wether it's an old version or some new transfer for the September release.........I don't know.
    But as the channel is only SD it won't make much difference.

8. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

ITV4HD available on Sky and Virgin Media, sadly not Freeview

9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Didn't know that.
    Probably not the new print though.

10. I watched this yesterday and really liked it. Nolan's touch was all over it in a good way. And I don't get the criticism that we had no connection with the characters. I cared about them and was generally riveted. For those expecting another Saving Private Ryan you may be disappointed as this is not a blood and guts movie -still the action never really faltered, and a simple sequence about two guys trying to get a wounded soldier on a ship (and hopefully their own escape off the beach) was extremely effective.

11. Spoiler Below:

That landing site was on his final trajectory when he ran out of fuel. I don't think he could have executed a 180 degree turn to land on a relatively secure part of the beach. Incidentally, those 2 or 3 Germans are the only ones you see in the whole movie!

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

They were waiting for something like that to happen.:laugh:

13. htom

htom Senior Member

One strategy which you can take or leave, but which was used for this film, was to show that the three phases of the retreat (the beach, the little ships, the air) as presented take place over different amounts of time. The figures (personnel, planes, boats) which are being thrown around here as indicative of the lack of scale in the film generally refer to the entire duration of the evacuation, nine days in total. What you got to see in the film, by my reckoning, was (generally) the prelude to the evacuation on the beach, the beginning of the evacuation by the little ships, and the air battle over the channel and the beach. The beach area is listed as one week but you're shown maybe two or three days at most. The evacuation by the little ships you see during one day (the first day?) of the nine, and the RAF battles you see one hour of that day.

According to some sources the first flotilla of boats may have totaled 26 for the first day, and that means the entire day, not the hour or so you're shown. The number of soldiers evacuated totaled 5390 on the beaches (which you're shown) and 11,874 at the harbour during the first full day (day 2). Day 1 started at night. The total for that day is 7,669, all at the harbour. Over 330,000 soldiers were evacuated, but not all of them would have been in one location for the whole time; as it was, that includes over 30,000 French soldiers, who were among the last to be picked up, while almost as many were left behind.

The number of civilian vessels used in the evacuation may have totaled between 400-500 for the entire operation. Naval vessels, not really the focus of the film, may have totaled over 300. The total sailing time from England to Dunkirk varied from 2 hours to 4 depending on the route taken.

The total number of RAF squadrons engaging the Luftwaffe during the first full day of the evacuation was 16. So, at most 256 RAF fighters in the air at some time during the day. But almost certainly not all at the same time, and probably not for more than at most two hours of flying time depending on speed and maneuvering.

The beach at Dunkirk stretched almost 6 km, a bit less than 4 miles.

When we're talking about the scale of the evacuation, at least visually, we might start at the last fact...

One last thing to note is that Churchill's speech was only given to Parliament on June 4, the last day of the evacuation.

lschwart, 4xoddic, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I trek'd to Austin to see this in digital Imax at the Texas History Museum. Allegedly the "biggest screen in Texas". I saw it in regular 70mm last week and liked it, but it is a much better experience with the full size Imax screen. So much so that I doubt I'll buy this for home video. You just can't recreate that at home. The sound and picture were absolutely stunning.

longdist01, Spitfire and mdm08033 like this.
  15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Sure ya can, just move the couch up. ;)

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Saw it in IMAX and thought it was enjoyable, although I probably preferred Hacksaw Ridge more. One thing that got me was how unbelievably loud it was - ears are still ringing a day later.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

When I saw the sign going in that earplugs were available on request I picked some up and my ears are glad I did. I took them out for a little while and it was LOUD. I saw it in an IMAX laser theater.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  18. Glad others thought it was loud too... don't feel like one of the only ones now! And again, I don't mind the actual sounds of the film being loud, I just could not get over how loud the score was.

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Another thing. I'm pleased to read your determination to see the IMAX digital presentation. My son was impressed when I told him that format we saw was only in 31 theaters.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Saw the movie last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. One that must be seen in theaters to be appreciated (if you appreciated it). This is a real movie whether you like the screenplay or not.

Interesting how a big war can be broken down into several "little wars". The only quibbles were maybe one too many destroyed boats and I still can't figure out the relationship between Spitfire aerodynamics and updrafts.

21. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I saw "Dunkirk" last week in 70mm, and that was a good way to see it. Nothing was too loud. The film was in excellent shape, and all the details were there.

Though voices were less than clear, my feeling is that was Nolan's intent as a way of (possibly) capturing the effect of voices in a wartime environment. Sure, spoken orders should be clear and unmistakable, but with all the chaos, with all the competing sounds, how much is really heard in such a situation with complete precision?

As terrific as Nolan's "Dunkirk" is, Joe Wright's single tracking shot 'Dunkirk', in his "Atonement", remains extraordinary...

(note that some language is NSFW)

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Spoilers

Seen it in IMAX, first 15 minutes showed potential, best thing the score. Then there's the pc, no german proper messerschmitt colors, only Germans you see are few blurred you see the helmets when the spitfire crash lands.
    If Steven Spielberg had directed it you would have had Mark Rylance coming down from Scotland in a tugboat with a little skye terrier dog.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Pieter Kozak likes this.
  23. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

Disappointing film. It was more "look what I can do with an imax camera"

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got the original 1958 film. Hopefully have more empathy for the characters

25. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Saw it this evening at the Universal IMAX in LA. I thought it was a good but perhaps not a great film. I liked how Nolan kept to the subject and didn't dwell on any outlying tangents. I was also thankful that he didn't incorporate any sentimental slow/motion effects. A play it straight approach that felt right for the subject matter.

The 70 mm looked good as expected. There was a gritty realistic hue to the whole picture that felt appropriate. Like others here I had issues with the sound more than anything else. Yes it was loud but so is every other action film out there. (I habitually bring earplugs to the cinema these days.) Most disagreeable was the bass, which was heavily and powerfully inflated in both score and effects. The WWII planes were given a subsonic roar that was most unnatural and more appropriate for a Saturn rocket than 1940s dive bombers.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.