Dunkirk (forthcoming in 2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

They probably won't like it because there are no "nekid gurls".

alexpop likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn, Rylance is in this. I will have to rent it.

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Right or wrong, the impression I'm getting of Dunkirk is that it's like the brilliant opening section of Saving Private Ryan, only stretched out to 107 minutes. Which is fine with me, as that was by far my favorite part of SPR.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The trailer didn't suggest that to me.
    Always willing to eat my humble.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think one difference will be that Nolan is using different perspectives from troops on the ground, to ships to planes. Supposedly there is minimal dialog.

Monosterio likes this.
  7. And if I'm not wrong, the blood and guts are kept to a minimum, at least as opposed to Saving Private Ryan.

8. That seems pretty nutty if true; I'd think some kind of body makeup would be a lot cheaper, with CGI touchups where necessary.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Perhaps, but I don't think a director sets out to do a project of this magnitude unless it's truly a labor of love. Any accolades are just a bonus. I'm sure he made a pretty penny. Also, he and his brother have had an idea to do this movie for decades, according to what I've read. They put it off until Nolan had a few blockbusters under his belt and the ability to direct huge sets, tons of extras and manage enormous budgets. A number of his films deserved Oscar nominations and this reflects worse on the Academy than on films such as Prestige.

The article posted above mentions 60 destroyers being in the water at one point--real ships, not CGI. It was filmed on location in Dunkirk. Nolan has made a career of avoiding CGI wherever possible.

realkilroy and agentalbert like this.
  10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

more confusing then ever ,Imax 70mm,Imax digital,70mm ,Digital They really screwed the public with that phony "Imax Digital " not to mention I am not found of directors who use more than one Aspect Ratio's

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

You forgot laserdisc, Beta, and Hi-8.

12. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Catching it tonight at the Alamo Drafthouse in 35mm.

mdm08033 likes this.
  13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

What theatre is that? The Park? I'm hoping it will play in either of the collossus theatres in Langley or Richmond.

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I see it's also at Richmond's Silvercity IMAX. Might be worth the trip.

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I just saw it in true IMAX. First off, someone else who does is going to have to comment on the sound, because in the theater I saw it (AMC North Point in Alpharetta) the sound mix was atrocious and overwhelming. I, and people around me, had their fingers in their ears at many times. The bass, particularly, was just a continuous assault.

That said, it didn't impinge upon my involvement to the detriment of the film. It was fantastic. To the comment that there isn't a lot of blood and guts, that seems appropriate given the point of view of the three main plot lines. It certainly is about war, and you'll know it, but just another aspect of war.

Regarding CGI, that the film relies largely on practical effects is very much a part of its success. I saw only one shot that clearly involved CGI, and it may not stick out in a showing other than IMAX.

John K.

shokhead likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I count more than 111 people listed in the Visual Effects department credits for Dunkirk on IMDB, including the staff of Double Negative (a rare film where a single VFX house did all the work, in London, Mumbai, Vancouver, and LA), plus there's some animation credits, plus 12 people in the digital editing department. Even the IMAX prints went through DMR (digital media rendering). That doesn't take away from how well-regarded the film is or how effective it is as entertainment. Nolan and WB are being very quiet as to how much of the film used digital VFX and how much was real, but I don't doubt a lot of it was real or at least had real humans and real props in front of the camera. A great movie can be a combination of analog and digital and not necessarily be all one or all the other.

You got a WWII soldier sloshing off a boat through ocean water on a beach with wind and sand and all that... it's going to be trying under any circumstances. It's as if it's a bad idea for actors to have a lot of tattoos. :sigh:

17. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Which would be better to see it in, Imax or 70mm?
    There are no combo Imax 70mm theaters near me.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They are doing 70mm in Langley it turns out...

19. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I'm just going to call it a masterpiece. Visually, musically, and structurally. I saw in on a Cinemark XD screen (2.4:1) and am really interested in seeing it full frame IMAX, I imagine the aerial scenes especially would be incredible.

GregM and mdm08033 like this.
  20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Christopher Nolan is getting compared to Stanley Kubrick...and maybe there's something in it; making movies in every genre; thriller/costume drama in The Prestige, Science Fiction in Interstallar, etc..
    And: so far all great movies. I'm going to Dunkirk next Wednesday and if the reviews don't lie it's going to be a great experience!

budwhite likes this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Philadelphia paper today loved it, except he warned people to not sit near the speakers.

mdm08033 likes this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Yes, I've read that in a few places. The two other things some critics are complaining about are: (1) you never get to know the characters, so you're not emotionally invested in the action; and (2) Nolan employs his trademark time-dislocation editing, which is a turnoff for some.

Mr. E. Tramp and Ghostworld like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

FWIW I may be in the minority but I believe he has already surpassed Kubrik, who I think is quite overrated. Where Nolan's directorial choices really click with me more often than not, Kubrick's really don't. I think it boils down to both being formulaic in their own ways. But Nolan's formula works better. Can't wait to see Dunkirk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.