Duran Duran Japanese Toshiba CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

2. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I'd be interested in knowing too. All I have is the US vinyl of this release.

But, if it's anything like the first releases of Rio, including the Toshiba release as I understand - they may all still be the same.

Joel

3. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

4. ascot

I got the Duran disc today, and I can say it's a different mastering than the U.S. disc. I have compared the two.

The Toshiba disc is certainly not as bright and the bass is warmer with more presence. The album mix itself is still that made-for-radio 80's pop sound so the gains are minimal. The hiss does not fade between tracks like the U.S. disc and judging from the level of hiss, the tape is probably another generation down. That may account for the slight softening as well.

On a whole, I'd have to say the Toshiba disc is better balanced and an easier listen for my ears. So I'm happy with it. Musically, this is not Duran Duran's best work. This one of the very first LP's I ever bought so it remains a sentimental favorite.

For those keeping score, the catalog # is CP35-3082.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

ascot, nice score, especially for a mere $2.25. Very well done! Thanks also for the review.

6. ascot

I just posted a scan in the"first pressings" thread. While doing that, I noticed this Duran disc catalog # is right before the Bob Seger disc The Distance shown on page four.

7. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Looks like I'll have to hunt that puppy down.

Joel

8. Dob

Dob New Member

That would describe about 80% of the Japan CDs that I have. The Toshiba "black triangle" CDs seem to be especially good...perhaps because they are so old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.