Dusty Springfield "The Complete Philadelphia Sessions: A Brand New Me (Expanded Edition)"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

The same thing is happening with the Real Gone Laura Nyro. It shows as unavailable now. My pre-orders are both still showing.

johovey likes this.
  2. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

That's what I'm hoping.

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

It's going to take more listens to process the new mixes, but I'm immediately struck by nearly every song having a noticeably longer fadeout. They must have been very focused on AM radio play when choosing the original fade points.

A Brand New Me 2:30 old / 2:50 new
    Never Love Again 3:25 old / 3:57 new
    Bad Case of the Blues 2:03 old / 2:28 new
    The Star of My Show 2:31 old / 3:12 new
    Let's Talk It Over 2:29 old / 2:53 new
    Lost 2:29 old / 2:54 new
    Silly, Silly Fool 2:34 old / 2:35 new (not much difference here!)
    Let Me Get in Your Way 2:48 old / 3:33 new
    Joe 2:23 old / 2:45 new
    Let's Get Together Soon 2:45 old / 3:04 new
    I Wanna Be a Free Girl 2:57 old / 3:25 new
    Something for Nothing 2:54 old / 3:16 new
    Summer Love 2:49 old / 3:02 new
    Cherished 2:38 old / 3:31 new
    The Richest Girl Alive 3:01 old / 3:08 new
    Goodbye 2:34 old / 2:51 new

Hep Alien and art like this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, that makes this release a lot more interesting. How's the sound? I recently bought an original vinyl pressing and was really disappointed with the sound.

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Up to £43 on Amazon uk!

6. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Now that is an incredible idea! The record companies should take note of that for all re-issues...

There are so many songs that could be extended for 30 secs or so, that would make a great selling point/reason to buy an umpteenth re-issue...

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. tages

tages Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the UK version - I prefer it myself

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I totally agree with this. It may not be important to some but when you're talking about an album that has become very familiar to its fans, differences like this give a new wrinkle to the listening experience.

9. I'm enjoying the new mixes. It's another fine Dusty Springfield reissue from Real Gone Records.

RAZORMADE, Ptown Tom, darling and 3 others like this.
  10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I sat down with the old Rhino/Atlantic "Brand New Me" CD and the new Real Gone CD. I played each track one by one, comparing the old version and the new mix. This new one has blown me away. I was amazed at how much was missing from the original mixes. There's instrumentation all over the Real Gone issue that we've never heard before and the depth of the sound is fantastic. Dusty's vocals are much clearer and less buried now too.

As Marry a Carrot posted above, the longer fades are great to hear as well. For any of the Dusty fanatics, this version of "Richest Girl Alive" sounds to me like a third vocal take and differs from the one on "Love Songs" and the one on the UK "From Dusty With Love" reissue CD. I'll have to listen again but I think that "Summer Love" may also be a different vocal than on the same two CD's I just mentioned. Furthermore, the unreleased song "Sweet Charlie" is so good that I wonder why it didn't make the cut for the original album. Real Gone has really hit it out of the park with this one. I couldn't stop smiling as I was listening. Thanks, folks! Brilliant job.

Ptown Tom, Simon A and smallworld like this.
  11. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

As best I know, "Sweet Charlie" was recorded after (February 12, 1970) the "Brand New Me" LP was in stores (January 1970). It could have been included on the UK release (April 1970) but I imagine it was held for possible inclusion on a second Philadelphia album. However, the commercial failure of "I Wanna Be a Free Girl" likely killed the project. Enter Jeff Barry...

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I just got my copy in the mail today. I am listening to it as I write. I love the extended fades because I always thought the songs were too short in their original versions. However, I am really disappointed with the sound of the remixes. The sound is heavily compressed and there is some strange phasing on "Brand New Me" and "Lost." It was probably the artistic choice of the remixer. Some of the other tracks don't sound as bad. "Silly" and "Joe" fare better. After a while I was able to get past the sound and enjoy the music. Dusty was so very soulful on these tracks, perhaps even more so than on "In Memphis." I don't regret the purchase but the sound is a definite let down.

13. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Mine's winging its way across from America as I type. Far too expensive from any UK supplier, and only Amazon.com offered reasonable postage charges.

14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Does anyone know the reason for the change up in the running order? Any mention of it in the innersleeve notes?

15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I looked through the booklet again and I see nothing that mentions changing the order of the tracks.

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It just seems really random, I can't think of another case where a reissue has rearranged the original running order. If it was the intended order that then got mixed up it would make sense but without an explanation it's strange.

17. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

It was weird to me too. Both old US and UK releases used the same running order so I wonder why the change for this one.

For what it's worth and even though it's not the title track, I find that "Lost" is a better album opener. I think it has a more immediate energy than "A Brand New Me".

Porkpie likes this.
  18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'm actually really confused by all the recent releases because previously I had a bunch of her CDs from Memphis through to the unreleased one (Longing/Elements), so that's Brand New Me, See All Her Faces and Cameo. And that's all the Dusty I need because I'm only really into her soul recordings. And among those CDs there were a bunch of bonus tracks but now there's Faithful (I think it's called), this new Complete Philadelphia and there's a similar complete CD for her UK recordings of the same time, which all kind of overlap each other. As i love this period I should probably collect the stuff I don't have but don't really want a load of overlapping releases. I'm still not sure whether the Memphis CD I ahve is the best sounding one available either (I have the US Bill Inglot remastered version with 14 tracks on it). Anyone knowledgeable to break it down and tell me exactly how all these releases fit together and which give the best sound?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  19. The best-sounding Dusty In Memphis is the SACD by far.

20. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I can't tell you about all the overlap there might be among all the CD's that were issued later on but I do know that all of the tracks on "Faithful" are included as bonus tracks on the 1999 Rhino "Dusty in Memphis" (25 tracks) and the original Rhino "A Brand New Me" CD combined.

An older thread about "Dusty in Memphis" showed some people liking the 1992 Rhino (14 tracks) better than the one with 25 tracks but many others preferred the 1990 Philips CD with no bonus tracks and a light green border on the cover, #846 252-2. I don't know when the SACD was issued so the thread I was reading may have pre-dated that.

Hep Alien and Porkpie like this.
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just checked amazon for the other CD I mentioned and it's called Come For A Dream, and is basically See All Her Faces with some bonus tracks, and is, what they claim, was intended to be a full album. It just seems a bit strange that suddenly these 2 "lost" albums (Faithful & Come For A Dream) get cobbled together from tracks that were mostly all available as bonus outtakes on reissues of actual albums. All the while though, Elements/Longing has never been put out as a standalone album, which arguably has more right to be than the other two.

Hep Alien and johovey like this.
  22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It has nothing to do with which album "has a right to be". Real Gone is not a charitable organization looking out for albums that have a right to be.

23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Whoah, someone needs their coffee :hide:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Malina likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It's quite possible they are working on that, as well. With these releases, it seems as though they have access to Warner material, so I'm not sure whether they have access to the Universal catalogue. (Though they did release the Lesley Gore A&M and MoWest albums, so fingers crossed!)

Hep Alien and Porkpie like this.
  25. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Porkpie - did you ever pick up the Hip-o-Select compilation Beautiful Soul? It has the Cameo album as well as 9 of the original tracks intended for the album's release. My understanding is that there was one other song - Corner of the Sky - but Dusty had never completed the vocals; so Hip-o did not include. Anyway - thought I'd throw it out there if you hadn't heard of it.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.