DVD-A Jumping Channels: Disc or Player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WhosieWhat'sIt, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhosieWhat'sIt

WhosieWhat'sIt New Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I've been experiencing some strange playback problems with my DVD-A player. It is a three-year old JVC XV-SA75. When this machine is used for standard DVD movie playback, it works fine. When used in DVD-A, surround mode, I have experienced problems with sound abruptly switching from channel to channel. The most consistent offenders have been the Chicago II DVD-A, and the REM "In Time" DVD-A.

For example, I'll be listening to "Make Me Smile" and when the machine is working correctly, the soundstage is spread around the room in a fairly even way. Sounds fine. When the machine is NOT working correctly, the horns will start off with everything coming from the front of the room, then BAM it all shifts to the surrounds, then a few seconds later BAM back up to the front. Very jarring, and totally unlistenable.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I cannot figure out if it's the discs, or the player. It's not my amp, that works fine while listening to multi channel sources from the SACD player, or from the fiber optic port on the JVC XV-SA75. I've decided it's gotta be one of three things: the DVD-A discs themselves, some problem in the processing of the DVD-A encoding, or a short of some sort in the six-channel analogue out of the DVD-A player.

Any advice before I go out and spend hard-earned $$$ to replace the player?
    :help:

Thanks,

2. stypee

stypee New Member

Okay, this one I can probably answer.. 1 of 2 guesses.. Have a look at your speaker connections, make sure nothing is crossing over and they are settled in properly. If that doesn't help this definatly soundS like a Player problem. My biggest question is that R.E.M.'S IN TIME is NOT a DVD AUDIO disc. It's either in DOLBY DIGITAL (which sounds like poop) or DTS (which is wonderful) Have you tried playing it in DTS? I have noticed that when I do play any of my DVD AUDIO discs (note, I do not own a DVD AUDIO PLAYER but I DO own a DOLBY DIGTAL/DTS RECIEVER and player with DTS and DD 5.1) in DOLBY DIGITAL the sound is really flat. Does your player have DTS as well as your AMP?

3. WhosieWhat'sIt

Thank you for responding Stypee. Speaker connections are good. I'm starting to think there's an issue with the way this player reacts to certain discs. I'll have to see if I can make the player "jump the tracks" again tonight. It really bugs me that I can't find a reliably repeatable pattern here that would explain the error the machine is making.

I saw from some other threads that you had asked for clarification regarding the "DVD-A" format. The R.E.M. "In Time" hi-rez disc has a "DVD-A" layer as well as the DTS and Dolby Digital. It's kind of amazing how many layers of data they can put on these things!

4. WhosieWhat'sIt

Oh, and yes, my player and amp can both decode DTS. It's my favorite setting for movies, and I always get bummed out when they release a DVD that does not feature a DTS mix, even when the film used one in its theatrical release!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.