DVD-A ripping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grant, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

What's the best way to rip the Dolby Logic sound off a DVD-D disc into stereo? Is there a Windows program that will do it digitally?

2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Grant,
    I just did this. Go to doom9.org and there you can get the programs you need for free. Look in the audio related topic section.

I wound up using two programs. SmartRipper to take the .vob files off the DVD and Graphedit to save the audio portion as .wav files which I burned onto a CD. Most of the audio on DVDs is AC3 formatt and the graphedit program converts this stream to PCM.

3. Grant

Thanks! I just did it the hard way by recording the Dolby Pro-logic sound from the amp in real time to DAT. Then I played the DAT into my PC soundcard and recorded it with Cool Edit.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Question.....to rip the audio from a DVD, must you use a DVD drive?

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, you need a DVD-ROM drive.

7. John Moschella

Having just ripped some audio tracks using graphedit I was interested to see what this method entailed. I have not tried it but it seems to be more cumbersome. First off there is an extra step entirely becuase you save one file for each channel of audio and then combine them into a *.wav file. Graphedit does all this for you in one easy step. The other thing about graphedit is that you can check to see that you have the tracks your interested in. For intance, I was only interested in ripping a limited portion of a DVD. Its not tranparent in SmartRipper, you have to make an educated guess as to the section of the DVD your in. Anyway, once you load the vob file into graphedit you can simply press play and see exactly what you ripped. Its nice.

8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

John,

The idea in the "quadraphnicquad" posting is to get 6 individual wav files, one for each channel, to encode to a DTS wav file. Can you get the six mono files (FL, FR, C, RL, RR, SUB) using graphedit? If so, that would be cool!

9. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Oh boy... I'm scared

10. Grant

Oh, Jon's just scaring you!:D

11. John Moschella

Joh,

I have no idea, but graphedit is a massive program and its possible you could.

Question though, because a wav file is by definition 2-channel, what is a DTS wave file and how could you decode it to get back the 6 channel information?

John

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Hi John,

DTS (along with Dolby Digital AC-3) are encoding scemes that take up to 7 channels of discrete information and encode them into a single wav file. WHen this wav file is played back through a DTS decoder (or DD Decoder). the 7 discrete channels are played back with no intermixing. Unlike the old matric systems of the '70s (QS & SQ), the 7 channels are kept totally separate. If you try and play back a DTS or DD file without a decoder, all you hear is white noise.

THere are commercially released DTS CDs, as well as DVDs, and a lot of DVD-A product is released with a DTS encoded track.

:-jon

13. John Moschella

Jon,

I realize that DD and DTS have discrete channel information. However my understanding is that the sampling rate for both formats is 48 kHz vs 44.1 for standard CD. In addition, DD and DTS, are compressed at different rates. I always thought that a wav file was a standard CD format (44.1 kHz uncompressed), is this incorrect?

John

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

John,

The program that I and others use, called SurCode DTS from Minnetonka Software, actually creates a 44.1KHz DTS wav file. This allows the file to be played from your PC and burned to a CD. They have a more expensive version that burns a 48KHz DTS encoded file for use on DVDs.

I am not sure of all of the "technical stuff", but I can tell you that a DTS ecnoded wav file can be brought into Sound Forge or Cool Edit Pro, and although is looks like a solid block at a constant amplitude, it can be played, trimmed, and copied and pasted.

Maybe these wav files are not "to spec", they work! If you would like to see one for yourself, drop me a PM and I will send you a DTS conversion CD of your choice. (Of course, a DTS decoder is required for playback)

:-jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.