DVD commentaries: Most informative and most entertaining?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Another vote for This Is Spinal Tap as the most entertaining of commentaries.

Stephen Prince's commentary for the Criterion DVD of Straw Dogs is scholarly and detailed, offering a fresh perspective on this much-misunderstood film. Most commentary tracks are fluff, but this one from Prince is essential listening for anyone with the slightest interest in the picture, or film analysis in general. It's a real loss that Prince's commentary has not been ported over to either of the available Blu-ray editions of Straw Dogs.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

According to the original Playbill it was his song.

(I looked this up, because I knew Pat Birch choreographed the original production.)

http://www.playbillvault.com/Show/Detail/Whos_who/2031/36369/Grease

3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Dodgeball - Well the first 30 minutes or so is funny...A commentary track I'm sure how many actors asked to do them would do it (Well no one listens to this crap anyway).

Brass Eye - Chris Morris invites a load of homeless drunks into the studio with the promise of much extra strong lager, runs the video of the shows and just tapes the reaction.

johnnyyen likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think it was the alternate title "Born to Hand Job" that TheLazenby believed was incorrect, not the identity of its performer...

Drifter likes this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Rodney Bingenheimer's and Chris Carter's commentary on "The Mayor Of The Sunset Strip" dvd. Helps clear up a few things brought up in the documentary.

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

:hide:

7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Then there's "Step Brothers" - which, as far as I know, was the first to turn the commentary into a full-fledged musical. (Yes, folks, "Dr. Horrible" - which was released a month or so later - was NOT the first!)

8. mep

mep Forum Resident

Today I watched Joss Whedons commentary track for Hush. It´s easily one of the most conscious and comprehensive tracks I have ever seen. Both for aspects of the pure art of the show and the vile production viewpoint. Amazing!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. Django

Django Forum Resident

Noel Gallagher's Oasis video commentary

10. I'm not an Oasis fan and if I didn't know any better I'd say Noel isn't either. :laugh: Hilarious commentary though.

troyvod likes this.
  11. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

No one seems to have mentioned the original Criterion DVD of 'The Silence of the Lambs' commentary which has Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, director Jonathan Demme, screenwriter Ted Tally and the FBI profiler John Douglas on it. That's a great listen. Sadly, there are no subtitles on that DVD, as per their earliest releases, like THIS IS SPINAL TAP.

12. Don't get me started on those Simpsons commentaries that are just Conan lovefests. They sound like such suck-ups.

fr in sc likes this.
  13. Django

Django Forum Resident

Here's some hilarious Bish bosh wallop, guvnor...

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Riot In Cell Block 11 - The Criterion Collection

" Commentary - film scholar Matthew H. Bernstein discusses the production history of Riot in Cell Block 11, the visual style of the film and the narrative's unique qualities that separated it from other similarly themed films produced before 1954, the initial reviews for the film, etc. Indeed, this is a wonderful commentary with plenty of excellent information that makes it extremely easy to appreciate Don Siegel and writer Richard Collins' vision. It was recorded exclusively for Criterion in 2014. "

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Riot-in-Cell-Block-11-Blu-ray/94586/#Review

15. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Great thread..

16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Mike Nesmith always told fun, rambling stories. Mickey was useless.

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Kevin Smith does commentary tracks for various films, specifically Batman:

18. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Really liked the entertaining DVD commentary on The Wolfman(1941) by Tom Weaver. It seemed a little irreverent at times but probably was just the rapid-fire way it was delivered. Not sure if the BR has the same.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  19. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I got the Criterion Paths of Glory this week (finally) and very much enjoyed the Gary Giddins commentary. Aside from the cast/crew bitchery all over Spartacus, I think it's the only worthwhile commentary I've heard to a Kubrick film.

20. shoestring

shoestring Well-Known Member

I personally love Micky Dolenz's commentary on "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" on the Season 2 DVD.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. mep

mep Forum Resident

Dr. Horrible´s Sing Along Blog features the first and maybe only Commentary Track as a musical! Amazing and funfunfun!!!!

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It does - and I agree that it's a fun/informative chat!

Karnak likes this.
  23. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I read that Weaver does the commentary for 'The Creature From The Black Lagoon' too. I look forward to hearing that one :)

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I agree, they are quite enjoyable.... I've listened to every commentary (some more than once!) on all 17 seasons that have been released on DVD so far.

Just finished season 17 yesterday, actually... one comment that I found particularly amusing (just because I agree with it so adamantly) was Al Jean saying that he thinks "sports talk radio is just so insufferable..... they go on for hours and hours based on nothing!" ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    goodiesguy likes this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I don't usually listen to commentaries. The one exception is the one for the documentary "The Mayor Of The Sunset Strip". Rodney Bingenheimer and Chris Carter really help clarify and flesh out the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.