dvda & sacd ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Twowheeler, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twowheeler

Twowheeler New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone make a 5 disc DVD player with dvda & sacd ?? Many thanks

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

None that I am aware of yet. I am sure they are on the drawing board ar pioneer though...

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sony makes one...

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The last time I looked, Sony does not make a DVD-A player.

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Sony does not make a "dvd-a" player. Their dvd/sacd changer will play dvd-a discs, however you will not get to the advanced resolution portion of the discs as there is no MLP in Sony players.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Pioneer makes an Elite, but it's only a 1disc.

I would have to add, a 5 changer that would do DVD-A and SACD would be an annoyance unless there was a way to tell a DVD-A player to only play the stereo mixes.

One of the biggest problem with DVD-A is the menus, if you want stereo. They seem to default to Advanced surround, on every deck I've seen. With some Sony SACD players, you can choose this in advance. What layer or Mch/Stereo to use by default.

7. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Sony makes a DVD-V/SACD player not to be confused with DVD-A
    You must have a pre/pro that can pass the 24/96 signal.

8. Twowheeler

I found an Onkyo THX - SACD/DVDA player but they don't have a 5 disc either, hopefully Pioneer or these guys will have one soon.

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

A 5-disc changer to play both DVD-A and SACD might work either in 5.1 or stereo hi-rez, but some kind of new circuitry would have to be introduced to get a player to, say, go from DVD-A hi-rez 5.1 to DVD-A stereo. The Pioneer Elite will, depending on the menu option you use, default to either SACD 5.1 or stereo, but as you point out, with DVD-A, you generally have to select from the disc's menu to access the stereo hi-rez, DTS, or regular DD 5.1 or stereo, if available, since on all players I've checked out the DVD-A will default to 5.1 hi-rez every time. In fact, DTS can present problems of its own, though I believe on the Elite, if you're set to 6-channel in(and your receiver, amp or setup has DTS decoding), the player will default to multichannel in all three formats without any problem. That would work in a 5-disc changer, and probably in conjunction with stereo only or hybrid SACD's. It seems the DVD-A menu situation would be the big obstacle.

Personally, I really don't see the point of a multi-channel changer, anyway; with redbook, maybe, or a stereo-only SACD situation. Even with regular DVD's, there are many music and film discs with multiple audio options, so even then you have to access a particular option sometimes. As DTS is my preference when it's there, might as well just have a single-disc player. What good a changer would do for them is beyond me. Pre-programming would be great, but I'm not sure how that would be accomplished.

ED:cool:

10. Twowheeler

Ed, your way over my head buddy(tech), all I'm looking for is a 5 disc that doesn't sacrifice any sound quality at all. I'm one of those who is constantly on the remote jumping from disc to disc (cut to cut) and a single disc would mean I would be getting way too much exercise changing discs. I currently have a Marantz 5200, (5 disc), the DVD is really very infrequently used compared to listening and that is my main focus, thanks much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.