Dylan O'Brien. Teen Wolf/The Maze Runner star.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Just wondering what's happening with this poor kid who was badly injured on the set of the latest Maze Runner movie back in March. Since then there's been no word from Dylan or anyone close to him. Every day now there are 'stories' about him being back on the set of the Teen Wolf TV series which on further reading prove to be scenes he filmed before his accident.

It seems fishy to me that he's totally disappeared. I get that he needs time to heal, but for there to be no word at all? Makes you wonder what's going on.

2. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

There was a recent news item that said he was back on the set of Teen Wolf. But I do find it strange that there hasn't been much word about his status.

3. Bobby Morrow

Very misleading headlines. Apparently he filmed those scenes in February a month before his accident. He's wearing a hand brace in the photo which is unrelated, obviously. The news reports give the initial impression that O'Brien is back filming whereas in fact he hasn't been seen since March.

Comic Con, an event he has visited many times previously, begins this week. If he IS OK, it would be great if he showed up. Again, there are rumours he will, though he isn't officially stated to.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There have been stories about an upcoming film he's been cast in with Michael Keaton. And there's a new release date in early 2018 for the next Maze Runner movie. But then I've also seen rumours that he's brain damaged. I don't know what the point would be, though, of covering that up... If he really can't work anymore it is going to come out eventually.

5. Bobby Morrow

Apparently some of his upcoming projects have been removed on IMDB. This doesn't mean much of course as anyone could have done this.

Agree that it makes no sense to cover up what you said. The few people I've seen asked about him seem to think he's fine. They don't appear to be lying, but who knows? There have been suggestions he's keeping out for sight for legal reasons. I imagine there'll be a hell of a court case about this one day...

6. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I hope he's okay. He was really starting to take off but this could be a major setback.

7. Bobby Morrow

It's all very strange. Of course he has to have time to heal, but you would have thought he'd have made a statement or posted a picture by now. They've been pretty vague about his injuries but he's supposed to have suffered broken bones and cuts to his face, which makes me wonder if he's disfigured in some way.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

My guess would be that he is still having neurological issues and his people hope there's a chance he can improve enough to return to work, so they don't want to say anything specific about how he's doing one way or the other.

9. Bobby Morrow

The accident (what we've heard of it) sounds horrendous. Wasn't he dragged under a car and then ran over by it? It's a wonder he's alive at all. Being as so many of his roles depend on his looks and physicality any hinderance to either of them is bad news for him.

Let's see if he shows up at Comic Con this week.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He suffered facial damage, broke his cheekbone and apparently his eye socket.

‘Maze Runner’ Sequel Production Shut Down Indefinitely For Dylan O’Brien Recovery – Update »

My guess is that the delay runs this production right into the TV show, and since the TV show can't wait, they're going to have to postpone the film until he can get a hiatus from the show.

‘Maze Runner 3’ News: Dylan O’Brien Alive And Well Despite Serious Injuries From Accident, ‘Teen Wolf Season 6’ Star Is Back! »

11. Bobby Morrow

I think the last link refers to footage he shot in February. A lot of these recent headlines are very misleading giving the impression that he's back on set when in reality he hasn't been visible since the accident.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I hope he gets a full recovery.

13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It sounds like his character's "involvement" in the season is that his character goes mysteriously missing.

When you are younger, you assume you can rebound from any injury and be just as perfect as before. But eventually you learn that is a fantasy.

Repairing the bones in his face may be the easy part. Even getting new teeth is relatively easy. If he bit his tongue, that can end a person's ability to speak. The eye socket break will likely leave him with an uneven gaze or with his eyelid permanently drooped, which doesn't matter in real life but could end an acting career (though digital makeup can fix that up for the Maze Runner film).

But like Squealy says, the big question is about his brain - whether he will be capable of the kind of memorization that acting involves. That's unlikely immediately after such a head injury, but could come back over time. The producers (of the film and the tv series) are hoping he'll be able to act again - in the case of Teen Wolf, at least enough for his character to be found again by the end of the season to say a few lines. But the complete blackout on any news suggests that it is a wait-and-see situation. I hope the concerns are overstated and that he comes through this fine. But it seems unlikely.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Indeed. There are more stories about him being 'back' on Teen Wolf today. They keep showing the hand brace photo which was actually taken a month before his accident. The photo IS from season 6 of the show, but he sure ain't back filming now.

It's all very odd. If O'Brien is OK like they hint at, would a Tweet to say so kill him?

Let's see if he shows at Comic Con on Thursday.

15. Bobby Morrow

One of the cast (can't remember which one. They all look alike to me:D) said some time back that he'd seen Dylan and his looks weren't affected. He said he was in good spirits and 'healing well'. After his continuing disappearance, one highly suspects this isn't the case.

It does rather seem that the ailing Teen Wolf series is using the actor's injuries to drum up interest. All the 'new pictures' stories and trying to give the impression that he's a big part of the upcoming season. Not very nice.

16. Bobby Morrow

No sign of O'Brien at Comic Con. His co-star says he's 'still healing'.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hope this is not a Mark Hamill-type injury. He never looked the same after his January '77 car wreck, where he was hurled out of a car and hit a tree, crushing most of the bones in his face.

18. Bobby Morrow

All sorts of rumours abound. Some girl on Reddit claims to have seen him recently and said he looked fine. She said one side of his face was a bit red, but nothing horrible. There's also a picture of him allegedly leaving hospital at the end of April. It's from a distance so you can't be sure if it really is him, but if it is he's on his feet and appears OK.

There have been all kinds of horrible rumours that he's suffered a brain injury, but I'm hoping that's not the case. Another theory is that he's keeping out of sight for legal reasons. I'm hoping the latter is true.

Tyler Posey spoke about him briefly at Comic Con on Thursday. He chose his words carefully but said Dylan was happy and still healing.

I'm surprise considering Dylan is a star of some standing in America that the press haven't shown more interest in this story.

19. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

This was the photo, supposedly of Dylan O'Brien, leaving hospital at the end of April. Apparently the times and dates matched the ones the actor did leave hospital, but who knows?

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If he's not in the show and he's not making personal appearances, and he's grown a beard, that doesn't sound great to me. The tough thing for the film is that if his face is changed, how can they explain this in terms of story? (Let alone the impact on his personal life.) I was always impressed that in Empire Strikes Back, George Lucas kept Mark Hamill's (changed) face covered by a cloth, then he was immediately clawed in the face by a snow monster, and then "surgically" recovered in a giant test-tube. It was a brilliant way to tell the audience, "hey, it's the same guy, but his face is now a little different, but just buy into it."

F_C_FRANKLIN and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

He has had a beard in the past, so it could be a choice. Then again, he's supposed to have had 'surgeries', presumably to his face, so he could just be too sore to shave here. He was in hospital 5 weeks after his accident. That's a long time. The injuries that have been listed don't seem that bad for such an horrific sounding accident, so I think they're holding stuff back.

Either way, no one really knows much. As I said, I'm surprised the media haven't paid more attention to this story.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Mark Hamill has talked very little over the years about the severity of his injuries in that January '77 car wreck, and there was very little publicity about it when it happened. The info I got was from an executive producer at Lucasfilm, and he knew way too much about the details. It's clear that the actor looked very, very different in Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, and today he looks almost nothing like he did 40 years ago (but then, most of us would have to say the same thing).

There was a time when the entertainment/gossip news services like Entertainment Tonight, Showbiz Today, Extra, and Access Hollywood would cover stories like this, but it's all kind of turned into mush without any substance in the last 10-15 years. If it isn't a scandal involving sex, drugs, or divorce (or all three), the story gets brushed-off.

Bobby Morrow and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Still, even though O'Brien isn't an A-lister at this point, you'd have thought the press would have gotten a picture of him by now. I know that sounds horrible, but it's how they work.:D

Looking at the trailer for the final Teen Wolf series, it seems people disappearing is central to it's theme. This obviously makes it easier to write him out of a chunk of the episodes. Of course, I could be wrong on that and he may be back filming by then.

24. Bobby Morrow

Forgot to say, I do remember the Mark Hamill car wreck. It wasn't a huge story but it did stick in my mind. You're right, they wrote his changing looks into the movie brilliantly.

25. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Off on a tangent... I have a son named Dylan O'Brien and twice I've gotten calls at the house in the middle of the night by crazed young women asking me to put him on the phone... lol!

Pennywise and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.